TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Indy Body Count

I've done a few searches for this with no luck -- has Indy's body count for each film ever been compiled?
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Kingsley
IndyFan

I would say...

60 in Raiders
50 in TOD
35 in LC

hard to tell... scenes like the opening of the ark, or the bridge scene in TOD gives any body count too much uncertainity.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps the qualifer should be how many deaths does Indy cause directly? Not just how many people die. It wasn't Indy's fault when the heads roll in LC or when the Angel of Death melts everyone.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
indy34
IndyFan

When you think about it deaths directly caused by Indy would only be something like 5 in each movie
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H
Perhaps the qualifer should be how many deaths does Indy cause directly? Not just how many people die. It wasn't Indy's fault when the heads roll in LC or when the Angel of Death melts everyone.

. . . or when the Coronado goes down.

You're right. I'm interested in the number of people Indy has killed. I was watching LC the other day and it struck me that when Indy means it when he tells Elsa "All I have to do is squeeze."

Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with violence (I'll even let my young kids watch Black Hawk Down), but Indy's a killer. No two ways around it. I wonder what his body count will be in the next one.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Attila the Professor

What about folks like the German mechanic and the lead Thuggee guard? Slightly more ambiguously, the tough sergeant during the truck chase?

For sheer numbers, Jones Sr. takes out quite a few when he blows up the truck that's pulling up alongside the tank. Wonder how his count compares.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
What about folks like the German mechanic and the lead Thuggee guard? Slightly more ambiguously, the tough sergeant during the truck chase?

For sheer numbers, Jones Sr. takes out quite a few when he blows up the truck that's pulling up alongside the tank. Wonder how his count compares.

I don't think the German mechanic counts as a kill for him, or the Thuggee slavemaster. Those were just happy chances. The tough sergeant definitely counts as a kill though. It might be the sergeant's fault he grabs a broken spoke and falls off the truck, but Indy beat him and hurled him out the window in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H

Temple of Doom. He kills at least a dozen Thuggees when he cuts the rope bridge. On top of the Chinese gangsters he skewers and shoots at the beginning, and the Thuggees he throws into the lava pit, this has to to take the prize.

Last edited by oki9Sedo : 12-23-2007 at 09:59 AM.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Joe Brody
IndyFan

The German Mechanic counts as a kill. The big Dude fought fair. Indy fought dirty because he was overmatched. Indy could have tried to help but didn't.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
The German Mechanic counts as a kill......Indy could have tried to help but didn't.

If I see a car flying towards an unaware pedestrian and don't warn them and then they get hit, does that mean I killed them? No. Indy choosing not to help the mechanic doesn't mean he killed him.

If he'd deliberately led the mechanic into the line of the propellor then it would count, but he didn't do that either, he was just lucky.

Last edited by oki9Sedo : 12-23-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

id just say alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Kingsley
IndyFan

Interesting... I think the german mechanic counts as a kill too.
I remember now the 3 nazis killed with one bullet in the tank scene in LC.
I can't say which movie has the higher body count in this sense.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
IndySeven
IndyFan

Raiders would definitely have the most. With the Raven Bar fight, Basket Game and Truck Chase, there were a lot of bad guys killed!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySeven
Raiders would definitely have the most. With the Raven Bar fight, Basket Game and Truck Chase, there were a lot of bad guys killed!

But he killed at least a dozen when he cuts the rope bridge in Temple of Doom.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #14
No Ticket
IndyFan

He killed quite a few Nazis in a row with that Luger in LC. .... that is how you spell it... uhm, that is the name of the gun right? lol. I have no idea, honestly. I think that's what they're called.

It's all in self defense though!
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Blue Jay
IndyFan

doesn't the body count in general refer only to the people that died in the movie and not the people indy personally killed?

At least that is the way this austrian web site counts the dead:

http://www.dvd-forum.at/bodycounts.htm
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
roundshort
IndyFan

No, I think I get what Joe is saying, Indy is a pretty stone cold murderer. The German mec. that counts, 'cause if Indy would have had his pistol, he would have planted a slug right between his eyes.
Without watching the movies I am thinking raiders has the highest Indy caused kills.

Hmmm maybe Indy IV will bump up the number of indy kills?
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
No, I think I get what Joe is saying, Indy is a pretty stone cold murderer. The German mec. that counts, 'cause if Indy would have had his pistol, he would have planted a slug right between his eyes.
Without watching the movies I am thinking raiders has the highest Indy caused kills.

Hmmm maybe Indy IV will bump up the number of indy kills?

I think Temple of Doom has the highest count because of the scene where he cuts the rope bridge.

I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has some old fasioned un-PC violence like Raiders and Temple of Doom, rather than the PC-violence in Last Crusade.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
I think Temple of Doom has the highest count because of the scene where he cuts the rope bridge.

I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has some old fasioned un-PC violence like Raiders and Temple of Doom, rather than the PC-violence in Last Crusade.

I agree!

Maybe Raiders seems like it had a higher body count do the the Raven Fight, Cairo Street fight (although many of the Arabs were "hurt" not killed, Then the truck chase, which again I suppose seemed like a high body count. Well, here is too good old fashioned violence!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I agree!

Maybe Raiders seems like it had a higher body count do the the Raven Fight, Cairo Street fight (although many of the Arabs were "hurt" not killed, Then the truck chase, which again I suppose seemed like a high body count. Well, here is too good old fashioned violence!

Absolutely! I'm glad to hear that tonally the new film will be most like Raiders, although hopefully it will have a tone and feel of its own.

Its hard to know how many of those soldiers hanging onto the truck in Raiders actually die (if any).
Old 12-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
Pale Horse

Define cold blooded murder. Did he murder Sapito, or is Indy more of a cold blooded involuntary manslaughterer. After all, we all know "what a careful guy he is..."

I say he maliciously killed the swordsman, Lao Che's henchmen with the flamming sword, the two guards in the Austrian castle guarding his dad and the 3 german dudes on the back of the tank. The rest of the deaths were a result of reckless behavior, that may or may not result in the loss of life (ie the dudes on the truck chase, the boat chase, Thugee guards, the mechanic, the germans on the motorcycles, etc...). We assume they die, but do they really? And did Indy do it, cause it, etc.

We could get a better idea if we define what we mean by Indy Body count.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #21
No Ticket
IndyFan

Indy is no murderer. Come on. If a giant dude with a big sword wants to try and kill you and you don't feel like dealing with it, because... I don't know, maybe you've got diarrhea or something... just shoot him.

Nazis were all bad guys out to get Dr. Jones, etc. Indy wouldn't kill someone unless he knew they'd try to kill him. It's all self defense. Afterall, Germany did declare war on the Jones'.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #22
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay
doesn't the body count in general refer only to the people that died in the movie and not the people indy personally killed?

At least that is the way this austrian web site counts the dead:

http://www.dvd-forum.at/bodycounts.htm

[Jokingly]I don't know about you -- but I get uneasy whenever any German speaking people start counting bodies for any reason. That's the sort of thing that got IBM into trouble once upon a time.

Seriously, I admit I was vague in my initial post. I thought the topic of how many people Indy had killed in each film had been discussed in the past -- and (when I couldn't find any threads) I half thought when I started this one that VP would hook me up with a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
We could get a better idea if we define what we mean by Indy Body count.

In any event Palehorse is correct, I need a definition. To me, Indy Body count is each person who dies in a film due to Indy's concious action or inaction. Indy's intent -- whether malice, self-defense or what-not is irrelevant.

For example, I agree with roundshort 100% on the German mechanic. If Indy had a gun, he would have shot the German mechanic. If you watch the fight scene there is a definite pause when Indy realizes that the prop is closing in and then he duck and covers. The mechanic's death -- whether by Indy' shooting him or by Indy failing to warn -- was a concious choice.

If we go through the exercise, I suspect the actual body count is lower than we would suspect -- and again, I will be very curious how the Indy IV body count will stack up.

[As an aside, I really don't want this thread to get bogged down ethical fine points. Maybe I'll start an "Ethical Indy -- Murder" thread. Which may be followed by others, like "Ethical Indy -- Theft and Conversion" or "Ethical Indy -- Teaching".]
Old 12-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #23
Finn

Can't recall all the lackeys that have met their demise in the trilogy, so I'm just going for the characters that can be distinguished...

Raiders

Satipo - Doesn't count. He walked into a trap he knew was there by his own stupidity.

Barranca - Doesn't count. Hovito frag.

Giant sherpa - Counts. As do practically everyone biting it in the bar fight.

Swordsman - Counts. No-brainer.

Mechanic - Counts. Even though his death can be listed as circumstancial, Indy's actions tell us he wanted him dead.

Sergeant - Counts. Indy threw him out of the truck, not very concerned about his well-being.

Gobler - Counts. He drove off a cliff, but I count everyone dying during the truck chase biting it more or less due to Indy's involvement.

Belloq, Dietrich and Toht - Don't count. They messed with the ark by their own will. Indy just happened to be there.

ToD

Thuggee assassin - Counts. Whip in the fan was far from circumstancial.

Giant Thuggee - Counts. He got caught in crusher so it's circumstancial, but he wouldn't have ended that way without Indy's involvement.

Mola Ram - Counts. Interestingly enough, only main villain in the trilogy that does.

LC

Panama Hat - Counts. I can't say for sure if the ship would have blown up even without Indy's involvement, but I figure he had something to do with it.

Vogel - Counts. Again slightly circumstancial, but Indy clearly involved.

Donovan - Doesn't count. Elsa's frag, technically.

Elsa - Doesn't count. He tried to save her, not kill her.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Mola Ram - Counts. Interestingly enough, only main villain in the trilogy that does.

Interesting. Never made that distinction.

[Thanks for the move. It hit me after I started the thread that it was in the wrong place.]
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #25
Kingsley
IndyFan

In my mind all 3 movies have a similar number of deaths if I think only in those caused directly by Indy.

In Indy 4 I expect Blanchett's character dying too... but hardly by Indys hands.
Maybe she could be added to Marion's count. I could see that happen