Other potential treasures

NukeTheFridge

I'm a habitual writer obsessed since youth with Indiana Jones, and what I've been wanting to do for quite some time is write a book about Indy, but what always got in my way was choosing the treasure he seeks. Something I wonder about is all the mythical lost cities and treasures that have lots of potential to be the Macguffin of an Indiana Jones story, official or otherwise. The Fountain of Youth and the Garden of Eden are some of the more obvious choices, but I always though that the Crown of Thorns or Poseidon's trident would be great treasures for Indy to go after.

So what else is there that could work and hasn't been done before?

otto rahn

Hmm the skull of Caidu (supposedly turned into a drinking cup after he revolted against Kublai Khan, for at least the second time, and was defeated). Any of the artifacts of the Norse gods (Thor's hammer, Odin's spear,the Brisingamen necklace etc), the Jade Fire Snake of the Aztecs. Any of those would be likely to bring him into contact with all sorts of fanatics out to use the objects for evil purposes.

otto rahn

Just thought of another item, not mystical however. A Viking longship in North America, or the identifiable remains of a Chinese junk . Indy, as an archaeologist, would have had to rethink a lot of what he knew about history if he encountered something like THOSE !