What's everyone reading?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Doing a reread of Jacques Barzun's <I>From Dawn to Decadence</I>. A Raven search on Barzun should reveal some comments I've made on it in the past.

Gear

If you were to offer any suggestions of literature to someone who isn't much of a reader what would you?

Science Fiction is always nice, I see some Wells readers on here.

bennihana123

Oh geez sorry I made the other thread! I'm reading Titan by Ben Bova right now, and then I'm going to read Mars by him again.

|ZiR|

Rereading Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

It's... well, O.K.; you know how when you read a book as a kid and you think it's like the best thing ever, but then you read it as an adult and realize that it's really, REALLY not?

Yeah. I can't believe I used to think this was so awesome. :(

(Though I'd still do the nasty with Barker if only for giving us Hellraiser, Rawhead Rex, and Nightbreed.)

|ZiR|

TheMutt92 said:
Currently on hiatus. But I usually read a lot of Star Wars, Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books, and Redwall.

Oh God, REDWALL. The memories are flooding back; my brother and me read the hell out of those books. The series is still going on, I think. I remember they were always eating amazing food, and breaking into song, but then it'd get all violent and serious. We had a few autographed copies -- my brother got to meet him at a book signing in the 90s, and Brian Jaques said he liked my brother's name so much that he was going to make a character with the same name. I doubt it ever happened, though. lol

angent_dork said:
i didnt read yalls post in this thread yet but im reading WICKED! i finaly got it last ngiht

I read Wicked back in '96, before I even read Harry Potter. Some how this makes me better than you.

Just kidding! But yeah, Wicked is cool. I think it was Gregory Maguire's best book. Everything after that was all miss, imo, especially the sequel, Son of a Witch. Here's hoping the third one will be an improvement.

MaxPhactor23

I’m currently reading Richard Matheson’s “I Am Legend.” I really must say that it’s absolutely fantastic. Vastly superior to all the film interpretations. The science of it all is utterly genius. Bringing vampires to reality. If they existed then this is how and why they would exist. Also blatantly spawned the zombie movie formula and that feeling of claustrophobia and simultaneous isolation. Brilliant book, I highly recommend it to anyone displeased with the latest film. They're so different the films hardly deserve the same title.

MaxPhactor23

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I may pick that up tomorrow, Maxphactor.

It starts very slow at first. I found myself rather bored as I read his rigmarole of mundane daily chores. But I stuck with it. It gets so much better and I completely understand the point Matheson was making with the opening chapters. This is the last living man on earth, he wanted to give the reader some sense of understand the true level of tedious monotony he faces on a daily basis. He evokes the character rather well. You really have to empathize with the guy. The level of lonesomeness alone would be enough to send anyone off their rocker?

LostArk

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah, like what the hell? It's old! No way it can be funny. Or good at all, for that matter.

:rolleyes:

That's not really what I meant. People often say old humor will not appeal to people now-a-days. I never believed that though.

Lonsome Indy said:
Desperation by Stephen King

very graphic, but its an interesting read

Excellent book. Sheriff Collie Entragian...

I, however, am currently reading The Weeping Women Hotel by Alexei Sayle.

The_Raiders

I am not currently reading anything, but does anyone like the books written by Patrick F Mcmanus? My favorite author ever! I really enjoy his books and have a blast reading them, I have read all but one! (y)

|ZiR|

herr gruber said:
Excellent book. Sheriff Collie Entragian...

Desperation is good. It's one King's fiction works that I genuinely like. The TV-movie was O.K., and Ron Perlman was the PERFECT choice Entragian.

But the companion book, The Regulators, on the the other hand... terrible!

One of the few books I actually regret buying. :dead: