Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #51
Johnny Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
Then just put the game on your bookshelf.
Probably should've seen that one coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
A canon story also?
I don't know, but Indy canon seems to be more flexible than Star Wars anyway. I mean look at the date contradictions in DK's Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal which came out pretty near the same time. Heck, the Guide contradicts itself sometimes.
We'll see what Irish has to say, he's the expert.
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #52
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
It will be the Indy universe's 'The Force Unleashed' kind of promotion.

A cannon story also?

I assume so. I think comparing it to TFU is perfect...same approach, just on a slightly smaller scale (in comparison to TFU)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Jones
Probably should've seen that one coming.

Quote:
I don't know, but Indy canon seems to be more flexible than Star Wars anyway.

Definitely.

Quote:
I mean look at the date contradictions in DK's Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal which came out pretty near the same time. Heck, the Guide contradicts itself sometimes.
We'll see what Irish has to say, he's the expert.

I ignore the Ultimate Guide's notes on the movies dates completely. Most other sources (historical notations in the movies themselves, novelizations, etc) place the dates at completely different times than the Ultimate Guide. The Ultimate Guide's datings of the months the movies take place are ridiculous. Its like they ignored EVERY other nod towards the time of year, even in the movies itself.

If something ever contradicts dates in the Ultimate Guide, I believe the contradicting date over the UG. Its crap. The Lost Journal I'm still looking for.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #53
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Here's hoping for a mention of Jack Shannon!
I'd love for Indy's college days to be retconned so Marion, Jack, Oxley and Mystery of the Blues can all mesh a bit more.
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #54
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreGoingToDie
Here's hoping for a mention of Jack Shannon!
I'd love for Indy's college days to be retconned so Marion, Jack, Oxley and Mystery of the Blues can all mesh a bit more.

That'd actually be very cool, but I don't expect that in this novel since its adapting the upcoming video game. But, if sales on the game novelization do well, along with the reprints of MacGregor's six previous Indy novels, its entirely possible he could write a future story doing just that. Especially since I have a feeling that much like with Star Wars, Lucas/Lucasfilm/etc is going to shift the focus of many upcoming Indy tales to incorporate Crystal Skull characters (like done with the SW Prequels and Clone Wars film).

For instance, the upcoming Army of the Dead will feature Mac and Indy in WWII, and I wouldn't be surprised to see future comics or novels addressing the WWII era and incorporating Mac and other notable characters from the series (Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr., etc).

Of course, as you said, at the very least a mention of Shannon with a little exposition is entirely possible, or even as an added scene or something. I just think it'll be more likely in a theoretical future MacGregor novel (which I think is a very real possibility).
Old 10-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #55
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

This staff is supposed to be the Staff of Moses, correct? Because I really hope it iisn't the Staff of Aaron. Because Indy already found it. In fact, I would really like to see a reference in the book and game to the fact that Indy has found Aaron's staff already in Secret of the Sphinx.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #56
DarthGemni
IndyFan

Currently, there are a few new Indiana Jones novels on Amazon..."Indiana Jones and the Tomb Of The Gods" for Feb 09 which I assume will be the graphic novel of the individual comics, "Indiana Jones" by Rob MacGregor which says sign up to be notified when this goes on sale but also says will be out April 9 2009, "Indiana Jones and the Army Of The Dead" no author April 28 2009 available for preorder, and "Spinoff 1 (Indiana Jones)" and "Spinoff 2 (Indiana Jones)" by schoolastic available for preorder for May 1 2009....oh, and a book just called "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding for Jan 2009 on sale for preorder at $80.

Sorry if some of this is old news...
DarthGemni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #57
Nick
IndyFan

Tomb of the Gods is indeed the Graphic Novel, and I thought the Rob MacGregor one was a novelisation of the Staff of kings game.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #58
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGemni
Currently, there are a few new Indiana Jones novels on Amazon..."Indiana Jones and the Tomb Of The Gods" for Feb 09 which I assume will be the graphic novel of the individual comics, "Indiana Jones" by Rob MacGregor which says sign up to be notified when this goes on sale but also says will be out April 9 2009, "Indiana Jones and the Army Of The Dead" no author April 28 2009 available for preorder, and "Spinoff 1 (Indiana Jones)" and "Spinoff 2 (Indiana Jones)" by schoolastic available for preorder for May 1 2009....oh, and a book just called "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding for Jan 2009 on sale for preorder at $80.

Sorry if some of this is old news...

IJ & Tomb of the Gods, as said, is indeed the graphic novel collection of the individual issues.

The IJ novel by Rob MacGregor is the novelization of the upcoming Indy video game, Ij & the Staff of Kings.

Ij & the Army of the Dead (by Steve Perry) is an original tale set during WWII involving Indy and Mac.

And the "Spin-Off" 1 & 2 is (I think) whats been listed on the UK Amazon site as Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer - The Untold Adventures, Vol. 1. They also have a Volume 2 listed there, so I'm positive they're the same items (the full name just not being announced on the US Amazon for whatever reason). They're even scheduled to be released around the same time (May, 2009).

As for the "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding, I'm not sure what that is. Probably a supplementary book like the Ultimate Guide/Lost Journal, etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #59
DarthGemni
IndyFan

Cool, thanks for taking the time to clear all that up for me...! It's gonna be a good year for Indy books, looks like!
DarthGemni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #60
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGemni
Cool, thanks for taking the time to clear all that up for me...! It's gonna be a good year for Indy books, looks like!

Absolutely. Add on to that the Dark Horse reprints of the old Marvel series The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones (3 volumes), and hopefully another new Indy mini series by them as well by the end of next year, AND the upcoming video game...yeah, 2009 is looking like a big year for Indy.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #61
Moedred
Administrator

His site says,
Quote:
Coming in 2009: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings -
a new adventure by the globetrotting archaeologist
While Amazon says,
Quote:
Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones 2) (Paperback)
by Rob MacGregor (Author)
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Ebury Press (April 9, 2009)
Is neither correct?

Last edited by Moedred : 03-27-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #62
punisher5150
IndyFan

The Adventures of Indiana Jones Feb '08

is the reprints of the first three movie novelizations,all in one tome. It came out just before the theatrical release of Crystal Skull.

I don't think his site has nay release info for the Staff of Kings novel, just "coming in 2009"
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #63
Moedred
Administrator

Ah yes, wrong year, deleted that part. I just watched Amazon's Tomb of the Gods TPB release date come and go and expect the same this April 9. 6 wish list books for 2009 all far away... maybe I should read some classics.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #64
Morning Bell
IndyFan

It still looks like most of the Indy books will be out in the fall, with the exception of the two junior novels at this point.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #65
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Got an Email from Rob Macgregor!

He says the book IS coming out when the game does, but he didn't know when the game was supposed to come out. Guess he didn't hear the official date. This is great news! I think I'm looking forward to the book as much as the game.
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #66
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Unless it's been mentioned before, Gamestop.com claims the game releases on June 9th so we should probably expect the novel then.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #67
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Right. I emailed him back to let him know the official release date is June 9th. I HOPE he's right about the book coming at the exact same time!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #68
Moedred
Administrator

Excellent news! Ultimately all that matters is the story.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #69
indyjones2131
IndyFan

http://www.njoe.com/release-schedule/

Lists the release of the novel as June also. And gives the page count.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #70
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Can't wait. I'm surprised the book's cover hasn't been leaked yet.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #71
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Me too. I hope its not just the game cover though. Not crazy about that one - I'd prefer cover more in line with the movie posters.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #72
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

304 pages! Not to shabby! That's on par with "The Sky Pirates" in length, though "Staff of Kings" will be infinity better in quality.

I'm assuming the cover art will (unfortunately) match the game art, but it IS a bit too cartoony and doesn't jive with the "Army of the Dead" art.

Here's a quick (sloppy) mock-up that I made of what we could expect:
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #73
Morning Bell
IndyFan

I'm glad to hear the novel and game will both come out at the same time. Things are shaping up nicely!
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #74
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Because the OCD sufferer inside me wanted to see it, here's what a possible line up of the novels in chronological order could look like. Note the original film trilogy stands out as a set, while the last three books stand together as a "black" trilogy (assuming they repeat the black background for "Staff of Kings")

Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #75
Irfaan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreGoingToDie
Because the OCD sufferer inside me wanted to see it, here's what a possible line up of the novels in chronological order could look like. Note the original film trilogy stands out as a set, while the last three books stand together as a "black" trilogy (assuming they repeat the black background for "Staff of Kings")

Hi! thanks for the image and the order, I didn't notice I had 2 missing (1st and 3rd) I bought the first from ebay and 3rd from amazon straight away lol! I have only ever read Secret of the Sphinx and Dance of the Giants though, I really need to rest but I wanted to find out the chronological order, thanks! It will be a better exprience reading them now knowing which to read next lol!

Thanks again!
Irfaan is offline   Reply With Quote