indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Le Saboteur

well, well, well...

It's too bad that I wasn't here from the beginning of this; a lot of good ideas floating around here, and I would've loved to have been a part of it. Oh, Indy's Bro, if you need some assistance putting things together, let me know. I'm between projects at the moment, and could take some of the burden off your shoulders.

Two things: 1.) Marion should be left out. Focusing on a slightly younger Indy gives us more to play with -- there's more leeway in terms of development. In fact, I would consider focusing on a ten-year period, say, between '25-'35. 2.) The eels are a cool idea, but I'm just not buying it. Yes, they can feasibly kill a man, but why wouldn't they just swim away? It's not like they have a reason to emit one of their more powerful charges. (In my experience, touching an electric eel, feels a lot like putting a nine-volt battery against your tongue). Maybe piranhas and eels are 'fighting' or are otherwise in an enclosed space requiring them to be defensive? Guy falls off boat, reaches out to grab what he thinks is a branch, but turns out to be an eel.

If you're going to put New Orleans in, how about this: Indy has his 'informant' up against the wall in an alley (Pirate's Alley?). It's a woman, and he's trying to charm whatever info he wants from her, so he pushes the brim of the fedora up, leans in to kiss her, and she sidesteps his advance blowing a cloud of smoke in his face.

I like Stoo's title card; but how about shifting it to an "exotic" part of the map? An antique map?

I was watching the 1994 version of "The Jungle Book", and thought that this picture of Cary Elwes could be an excellent start for a villain.

Well, I think that's about it for now. Keep up the excellent work all!

Lance Quazar

If memory serves, you guys are still short with gags to fill the run time, yes?

I've been trying to brainstorm a few more.

Here's a whip gag - a little tongue in cheek, but I think a few of those moments sprinkled in are very appropriate considering the tone here....

Indy and Sidekick are cornered in a location - maybe it's a temple, maybe it's an alleyway in some foreign city, maybe it's in a dark cave filled with treasure (might be a good visual).

Suddenly, from out of the shadows, a motley crew of bad-ass thugs emerges and quickly surrounds the heroes.

One is a Scarred Middle Eastern Man with a long, jagged knife...another is an Asian martial artist with a katana, another is a tough American gangster type with a pistol. They raise their weapons menacingly....

Indy's hand quickly flies to his whip! Crack, crack, CRACK! Disarming each of the three goons in the blink of an eye. They each quickly retreat.

Indy smiles, turns around. Behind him, a Fourth Goon armed with his own, larger bullwhip.

Indy looks at the baddie's whip and then back to his own. Baddie GRINS. Indy shrugs. Steps forward and DECKS the guy, who lands with a thud. Indy smiles.

(Yes, all my suggestions so far end with Indy decking someone. I'll try to do better next time. (y) )

col.dietrich

hey guys, really sorry about the delay on my character designs, but i just got out of school and i am still working on a bad guy design, so dont worry!

Le Saboteur

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I know a lot of us are thinking "tramp steamer" when Indy is traveling up (?) the Amazon. That is to say, we're thinking of this boat that Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn sailed into Lake Victoria on in "The African Queen". While such boats are still in existence (and working), what about sending Indy on something like this, this, or this? It might be easier to animate the wall of a boat as opposed to 360-degree views of the jungle/river/whatever.

If we do, however, send Indy upriver in something like the African Queen how about making it Jock's boat? He's transporting Indy upriver, and they're beset by river pirates, for the lack of a better term, who are under direction of an unseen antagonist. This should settle any problems people are encountering with Indy "murdering" people.

JimmyPSHayes

Just chimin' in

WOW!!! It took me the better part of 2 days to read this thread COMPLETELY, and I'm sure glad I did. I've been peeking in here and there. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!
-I wish there was some way that I could help. Has the role of
professional cheerleader" been assigned yet? :D
-I've written a couple of comic stories that have been published, but it seems you are WAY covered in that department.
-IF however, you guys can use anything else like comic books for reference or art supplies, just say the word. I've got a store FULL of that stuff! ;)
Keep up the great job!

HJJNR

My work

Ok boys and girls... I need to know what artwork you need me to do and when you need it by, as you know I work fast so anything you need I can usually turn around in a day for a couple of images.

Let me know and I'll get on it straight away.

Hope all are well.

Dan (hjjnr)

Stoo

DocWhiskey said:
I'm really loving what I'm seeing so far, but I don't think I'm quite up to par with you guys.

I'm still learning the basics of animation and I made this (very) short animated intro in a few days. Please check it out, give me some feedback, and see if my "style" has any place for you guys.

<div><object width="480" height="341"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="341" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms">The Truth Intro (test)</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/griefcomics">griefcomics</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/shortfilms">Check out other Film & TV videos.</a></i></div>
Don't kid yourself, Doc. Your backgrounds/foregrounds and motion between them are sweet and the silhouette style is perfect for the Chinese rooftops. You would be an immense contribution for that scene. That's just for starters. If you're able to import artwork files with transparencies/alpha channels, then you could be the "scroll-meister"...if you want.;) The jungle river and aerosled chase will need some background scrolling.
Indy's brother said:
As of now, there is no whip action in this:( (n) . If the rooftops scene has enough time, it could be a good spot. End with a whip-swing, and use that as a wipe to the next scene, which would be bottle-gag #2. Maybe do something like the trailer from SOK where it looks like he swings, and lands into the next scene. Not literally, but, carry Indy's physical actions into the same physical direction. Example: Indy swings from right to left off the rooftop, which wipes the screen from right to left, into a scene where Indy is rolling right to left on the floor (from a punch or something). Just to be clear, not literally crashing into the bar from a whip swing, just carrying the action with a slight semblance of continuity.
Chinese rooftops is the perfect place, Indy's bro! I was picturing him whipping onto a clothes line (à la Brunwald castle) in a tight street. If we want to get goofy, have a ladies' undergarment caught on him/his face while he's swinging.:p Oh...and I highly agree on a transition/wipe like the SoK trailer! I've an idea for a transition but not sure where it would fit. Will elaborate later...
Le Saboteur said:
I like Stoo's title card; but how about shifting it to an "exotic" part of the map? An antique map?
Thanks, Sab, but it's just a mock-up for now and not final. I saw that great map link that you posted in another thread. Will try looking there but if you have a good one in mind then, PLEASE, post it!:whip:
Le Saboteur said:
I was watching the 1994 version of "The Jungle Book"...
(y) (y) (y)

I've got some catching up to do on this thread but this post is getting long so I'll reply to Lance, Jimmy, dietrich, HJJNR, etc. soon. Keep the momentum going!:D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
DocWhiskey said:
Hey fellas.

Sorry I haven't contributed much to this thread. I tried doing some character designs but school work had me drop this for a bit. I'm really loving what I'm seeing so far, but I don't think I'm quite up to par with you guys.

I'm still learning the basics of animation and I made this (very) short animated intro in a few days. Please check it out, give me some feedback, and see if my "style" has any place for you guys.

I'll try to pump out some character designs too.

(Turn on your sound too)

<div><object width="480" height="341"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="341" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9daek_the-truth-intro-test_shortfilms">The Truth Intro (test)</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/griefcomics">griefcomics</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/shortfilms">Check out other Film & TV videos.</a></i></div>

Very cool.:D

col.dietrich

here is a possible story.

the story starts in 1937, indy is teaching in marshal collage. he is told by marcus that the nazis have hired a scientist called ewan. they want ewan to help them find the ancient aztec sundisk. indy sets of for new york, to seek the assistences(sp?) of marion ravenwood. she has reopend a new raven bar and things are running smoothly. they both set off to paris, where they are to meet with a mysterious profferser called 'doctor.E' after he tells them a lot about the sundisk and its rumord location. Dr.E reveals himself as ewan, and indy and marion are captured by nazis. while being held at a nazi prison camp in germany, they break out by shooting the guards(this would be a good action scene) thus, follows a truck-chase. indy and marion escape to the amozon and find the temple of the sundisk. ewan and the nazis arrive and force indy to lead them to the treasure. when they reach the sundisk, it emits a blinding light. indy and marion take cover and are not harmed. ewan and the nazis are ripped apart by the light but some catch on fire. indy and marion leave the sundisk understanding that its powers are to dangerous and return to new york. indy gose back to marshall and tells marcus that he stopped the nazis. the movie then fades as indy is walking down the street to his house with his back turned towards the camera. :confused:

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
It's too bad that I wasn't here from the beginning of this; a lot of good ideas floating around here, and I would've loved to have been a part of it. Oh, Indy's Bro, if you need some assistance putting things together, let me know. I'm between projects at the moment, and could take some of the burden off your shoulders.
It's never too late to join and your input is very welcome but our scenes/pacing are pretty much nailed down already based on an music edit. Tweaking/modifiying the chosen scenes is really all that is left to do before we move forwared with storyboards, etc. However, the story is (mainly) Indy bro's territory so he should have a say on the matter.

Le Saboteur said:
Two things: 1.) Marion should be left out. Focusing on a slightly younger Indy gives us more to play with -- there's more leeway in terms of development. In fact, I would consider focusing on a ten-year period, say, between '25-'35. 2.) The eels are a cool idea, but I'm just not buying it. Yes, they can feasibly kill a man, but why wouldn't they just swim away? It's not like they have a reason to emit one of their more powerful charges. (In my experience, touching an electric eel, feels a lot like putting a nine-volt battery against your tongue).
Without a doubt, the swarm of eels are in! Real-world facts will be ignored here. This will be school of nasty, evil, KILLER, electric eels who hunt in packs!

I agree about Marion being left out. Maybe the woman in the wing-walking scene could have similar hair/clothes to Marion but you never see her face? (That way, Marion-gushers could imagine all they want...) Personally, I would love to cover 1921-1934 or 1940-1956 but I think we've already agreed that this will be the classic, mid-to-late '30s era. (We need some dates on those aero-sleds!)

Le Saboteur said:
Indy smiles, turns around. Behind him, a Fourth Goon armed with his own, larger bullwhip.
A villain with a bullwhip has been brought up in this thread but, although an interesting idea, I don't think there's time for it (with what has been planned so far). Personally, I'm not crazy about it but if that's what people would like to see...give 'em what they want!;)

Le Saboteur said:
I know a lot of us are thinking "tramp steamer" when Indy is traveling up (?) the Amazon. That is to say, we're thinking of this boat that Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn sailed into Lake Victoria on in "The African Queen". While such boats are still in existence (and working), what about sending Indy on something like this, this, or this? It might be easier to animate the wall of a boat as opposed to 360-degree views of the jungle/river/whatever.

If we do, however, send Indy upriver in something like the African Queen how about making it Jock's boat? He's transporting Indy upriver, and they're beset by river pirates, for the lack of a better term, who are under direction of an unseen antagonist. This should settle any problems people are encountering with Indy "murdering" people.
Nice references, Saboteur, and I'm with you (with some modifications) but Indy's bro' posted a photo of a river boat larger than the African Queen so I've been imagining something slightly bigger than a simple tramp-steamer. Since it's originally Indy's bro's idea, let him be the judge on the final boat choice...I figured there would be a debate about this!:D

Also...Jock is a pilot. If you want to have a "Raiders" connection with the boat, then the Capt. could be the brother of Katanga's 1st mate or the son of Zachariah Sloat?:confused::p

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
A villain with a bullwhip has been brought up in this thread but, although an interesting idea, I don't think there's time for it (with what has been planned so far). Personally, I'm not crazy about it but if that's what people would like to see...give 'em what they want!;)

Hey, that was me, not Le Saboteur! :)

No problem, I just was responding to two (relatively) recent comments where someone (can't remember who) said that we were still short on material and a separate post where someone else (again, sorry, don't remember who) said that none of the beats/scenes had Indy using his bullwhip. :whip:

I just thought it was a quick, cute joke, but if no one else likes it, I will not be heartbroken. :hat:

However, can someone please clarify (since I have a few other ideas rolling around in my head), are you still looking for more shots/scenes/beats or not?

Would be happy to pitch a few more, but I won't bother if you're already there (or even mostly there.)

Le Saboteur

It's never too late to join and your input is very welcome but our scenes/pacing are pretty much nailed down already based on an music edit. Tweaking/modifiying the chosen scenes is really all that is left to do before we move forwared with storyboards, etc.

Yeah, I listened to the musical edit. While the edit is stirring, pigeonholing story development to a pre-existing piece of music is never a good idea; too many things get chopped/edited/whatever. Focusing on scenes and story development should take precedent, and the musical edit should be worked to fit that. In other words, we're putting the cart before the horse.

Also...Jock is a pilot. If you want to have a "Raiders" connection with the boat, then the Capt. could be the brother of Katanga's 1st mate or the son of Zachariah Sloat?

I believe Jock has appeared twice in what is considered canonical: Raiders and a novel/comic book. I don't remember which. He flew Indy one both occasions, but there's no reason he couldn't be a river pilot as well. It stands to reason that Jock Lindsey wouldn't fly everywhere he needed to go with fuel costs being what they are, and the fringe-like nature of his existence.

Have we pinpointed a geographic location for this river sequence? I was going with the Amazon since it would be the logical choice for a continued adventure from Nouvelle Orleans. But, we could always choose an African river, or an Asian one. Hell, if we choose an Asian locale, Wu Han could make a return visit; he seems to have been an "everyman" style sidekick. But first, a locale needs to be agreed upon; once that's decided, we can see about giving it a connection to the previous films.

Personally speaking, I don't need a specific connection to the earlier works. Since we're traversing a similar time period though, it stands to reason that he'll be maintaining the same contacts.

I'll write more later this evening.

muttjones

Le Saboteur said:
Yeah, I listened to the musical edit. While the edit is stirring, pigeonholing story development to a pre-existing piece of music is never a good idea; too many things get chopped/edited/whatever. Focusing on scenes and story development should take precedent, and the musical edit should be worked to fit that. In other words, we're putting the cart before the horse.

but we are making a time constrained trailer/show opening and so the music matters at the moment because we have time constraints on how detailed each scene can get. have you read the whole thing?

oh and just wondering, do we have a scene with indy firing a gun? surely we do not want to make the mistake kotcs did. :eek:

Stoo

JimmyPSHayes said:
WOW!!! It took me the better part of 2 days to read this thread COMPLETELY, and I'm sure glad I did. I've been peeking in here and there. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!
-I wish there was some way that I could help. Has the role of
professional cheerleader" been assigned yet? :D
-I've written a couple of comic stories that have been published, but it seems you are WAY covered in that department.
-IF however, you guys can use anything else like comic books for reference or art supplies, just say the word. I've got a store FULL of that stuff! ;)
Keep up the great job!
Wow! Yes, you can be the official cheerleader! Yeah, there's a lot of great input in this monstrous thread and I think we could actually fulfill our collective wishes and get it done. Thanks for your kind words & esteemed offer of supplies, Jimmy.:hat: Can't think of what we'd possibly need but if you have nibs for a Wacom stylus, we'll probably be grinding down several of those once we get into production.:) I'll see what I can do about getting you some orange, yellow & black pom-poms with a mini-skirt to match.:p
HJJNR said:
Ok boys and girls... I need to know what artwork you need me to do and when you need it by, as you know I work fast so anything you need I can usually turn around in a day for a couple of images.
Hey, Dan. There are no deadlines to meet but we definitely need more jungle river backgrounds. Could do some sketches for you but how about:

1) For scrolling purposes: Loooong, panoramic, side view of the river itself, similar to the mangrove roots you did before but a lot longer showing treetops and sky. (The ripples in the wake of the boat should be animated so try and keep the water flat/still.)

2) For the villain going over the stern: Wide, perspective shot looking downstream as if you were on a boat in the middle of the river. (Same as above re: still water.)

The question is, what time of day is it? Early morning & misty or bright/sunny? Indy's bro', did we already decide upon this? Will think of more soon but once we start making storyboards, you'll have a much better idea on what'll be required. Love your enthusiasm!
col.dietrich said:
here is a possible story.
Sounds fun, col.dietrich but maybe you haven't been following too closely? We've decided not to do a linear story but a short collection of various clips to simulate an opening credits sequence for a "pretend" series. What we really need help with is artwork so get your pencil scratching!:)

Lance Quazar said:
Hey, that was me, not Le Saboteur!

No problem, I just was responding to two (relatively) recent comments where someone (can't remember who) said that we were still short on material and a separate post where someone else (again, sorry, don't remember who) said that none of the beats/scenes had Indy using his bullwhip.
So sorry about that, Lance! I was really tired when writing the post. Please, forgive me.:eek: Anyway, I mentioned the missing whip, Indy's bro' confirmed that and found a suitable place for it (Chinese rooftops). Maybe we can save the bigger bullwhip idea for a rainy day.:D As for missing beats/scenes, that is primarily Indy's brother's department but muttjones is right. I don't think we have Indy firing a gun! A good place would be with the aero-sleds.:gun:
Le Saboteur said:
Orginally, the music was to be done in post-prod but after hearing muttjones' edit, we did a full, 180 degree turn and are using it as a pacing template. For a fleshed-out, linear story, you're absolutely correct but for our random bunch of scenes, I'm convinced that this is the route to take. (As muttjones also noted.)
Le Saboteur said:
Have we pinpointed a geographic location for this river sequence? I was going with the Amazon since it would be the logical choice for a continued adventure from Nouvelle Orleans. But, we could always choose an African river, or an Asian one.
Pages back, I asked the same question and Mr. Indy's bro' informed us that electric eels are indigenous to S.America...so the Amazon, it is! (Anyway, cool to know that you're thinking about details like this. Don't stop.)

Re: WuHan. I would rather see him than Mr. Round but Shorty is perfect for a cartoon. He *is* a cartoon!

Re: Jock on the boat. There's a lot going on in this 10 sec. (approx) scene so there may not be enough place to show another character other than Indy, the villain and the eels. Plus, we presently have 2 scenes with planes so if he's going to appear, it should probably be in one of those.

P.S. Everytime I see your screen name I think of the Fleischer Superman animations because of, "The Saboteurs"! You must have seen those cartoons. Almost 70 years later, they are still sh*t-hot!

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
but muttjones is right. I don't think we have Indy firing a gun! A good place would be with the aero-sleds

I don't know how "true" you want to be to the era, but if this is going to be in the style of an 80's animated cartoon, then you definitely wouldn't have Indy firing a gun in it. Unless it was a GI Joe-esque laser gun.

You have to go all the way to Batman: The Animated Series before "real" guns were depicted in cartoons and even then there were some heavy restrictions.

Personally, given that Indy has a very cool, unique signature weapon, I don't think you need a scene of him shooting at all (hell, KOTCS didn't have one :rolleyes: ) Just my two cents....

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
I don't know how "true" you want to be to the era, but if this is going to be in the style of an 80's animated cartoon, then you definitely wouldn't have Indy firing a gun in it. Unless it was a GI Joe-esque laser gun.
When Nelvana (from Canada) was hired to do the "Droids" series, they were faced with the same restriction. No guns! (but laser weapons ended up being O.K.!) Thus far, we've been agreeing on an early '80s Filmation/Hanna-Barbera aesthetic, whilst incorporating mid-'60s, "Jonny Quest"-type violence and guns. I'd even like to show some blood/gore at one point...
Lance Quazar said:
Personally, given that Indy has a very cool, unique signature weapon, I don't think you need a scene of him shooting at all (hell, KOTCS didn't have one :rolleyes: ) Just my two cents....
We need, at the least, 1 gun shot from Indy. I think it's a requirement!;):gun:

HJJNR

Stoo said:
We need, at the least, 1 gun shot from Indy. I think it's a requirement!;):gun:

I agree. If people have issues with Indy shooting another person, we could have him using the shot to disengage a trap mechanism or car tire etc. Just a thought.

Indy's brother

For the eels/riverboat, I was leaneing toward twilight/sunset. Not only could you do some cool stuff with colors,sillouette, and shadow, but also the light bulb getting charged in the water would play better if it was dark enough to see it happen. It's also make the eels "pop".

For Indy firing a gun, Yes. Indy needs to shoot his famous pistol with the famous sound at least once. I fully agree, and don't know how we got this far without it. I brought it up once as a POV shot of Indy swinging from his whip with one hand while staring down the sights of his pistol to squeeze off a round or two. Since things are already really tight with the music selection we are using, (once again) I agree with Stoo. Aerosled scene. That one runs pretty long and could use a little more meat on it anyway. As far a violence goes, it is Indiana Jones, you know, and we are not pandering to a network, or a network's sponsors, or the FCC or anything. If everyone is ok with showing a guy drown while being electrocuted, I don't see any harm in Indy shooting his pistol in self defense. And the round knocking a baddie off of the side of an aeroseld. And under another another one? Perhaps the soldier who has Indy in his sights in the first portion of the aerosled scene.

As for the score. The decision was made to use John Williams. Unless we can have him score something original for this, we have to let the music lead us.

Stoo said:
If we want to get goofy, have a ladies' undergarment caught on him/his face while he's swinging. Oh...and I highly agree on a transition/wipe like the SoK trailer! I've an idea for a transition but not sure where it would fit. Will elaborate later...

Bahahaha!!! A brazier across Indy's face so he looks like some crazy spider-man!!! Seriously though,Having something cling to his body during his swing is more true to life, and actually has an Indy feel to it. Can't go too crazy with it, though or else it'll come across too goofy, ya know?

Transition? Lay it on me.

Le Saboteur

Damn. I wrote a nice long note...

...and it was zapped. Well, then. I don't feel like typing the whole thing over again, so I'll just do this one thing for now.

Stoo said:
Pages back, I asked the same question and Mr. Indy's bro' informed us that electric eels are indigenous to S.America...so the Amazon, it is! (Anyway, cool to know that you're thinking about details like this. Don't stop.)

Electric eels are indigenous to South America. Yes, that's almost a given; further reading though, says their found in floodplains, swamps, creeks, and coastal plains in addition to the Orinoco & Amazon rivers. Why not switch to the Orinoco? Five'll get you ten that 90% of your audience is going to scratch their head wondering where it's at. It also happens to be home to the ultra rare Orinoco Crocodile and the Caribe Piranha, the most aggressive of the piranhas. The Boto is known to thrive there, too.

There's also the added bonus of virgin territory. The Orinoco's source, and subsequently, much of the rainforest, wasn't explored and documented until 1951. That's nearly 30-years that Indy could run around in the area, and we could create an air of believability despite not being completely accurate. In other words, there'd be few preconceived notions like what you would get with the Amazon.

As an aside, this could also be connected quite easily to New Orleans for narrative flow in future undertakings.

Last edited: