Did they find the holy grail?

IndySeven

The Grail is probably in an ancient temple someplace in the Middle East. It would be interesting to find out where it really is.

WillKill4Food

IndySeven said:
The Grail is probably in an ancient temple someplace in the Middle East. It would be interesting to find out where it really is.
Don't take this wrong, but the evidence that the Grail exists is weaker than the evidence that Indiana Jones exists.
I am a Christian and I don't think that it exists, at least not now. It did exist, at one time, because Jesus did drink at the last supper. But that was 2000 years ago!
English literature invented the Grail as we know it today. The chances that it still exists in a recognizable form are like .01%

WillKill4Food

Too late to edit, so:
"The connection of Joseph of Arimathea with the Grail legend dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late 12th century) in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Great Britain; building upon this theme, later writers recounted how Joseph used the Grail to catch Christ's blood while interring him and that in Britain he founded a line of guardians to keep it safe. The quest for the Holy Grail makes up an important segment of the Arthurian cycle, appearing first in works by Chrétien de Troyes. The legend may combine Christian lore with a Celtic myth of a cauldron endowed with special powers.
The development of the Grail legend has been traced in detail by cultural historians: It is a legend which first came together in the form of written romances, deriving perhaps from some pre-Christian folklore hints, in the later 12th and early 13th centuries. The early Grail romances centered on Percival and were woven into the more general Arthurian fabric." - Wikipedia

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
I don't recall that being mentioned by anyone here.
Now my young friend, no one said it word by word, but if you read the message I quoted recently, you'll notice that's exactly what it says, just in other words.

WillKill4Food said:
English literature invented the Grail as we know it today. The chances that it still exists in a recognizable form are like .01%
Funny, how something similar can be said about all of Biblical history.

adventure_al

IndySeven said:

I don't agree with this idea but don't you think its a shame that places like Iraq which have such a rich history and things of huge interest will be lost forever. Ancient buildings have been ruined, it is a pity.

Niteshade007

WillKill4Food said:
That's fine. I agree with you. It was the doubting about the story of Jesus's existence that made me question your words.

In my defense, I never doubted Jesus' existence. I said something along the lines of "if you believe that story at all," and left it up to the reader.

WillKill4Food

Finn said:
Now my young friend, no one said it word by word, but if you read the message I quoted recently, you'll notice that's exactly what it says, just in other words.
It says that a million people afraid of the name suggests that there is something divine about it. But, that's not a valid argument, like you said. Billions fear the swastika, too. However, there is much support for Christianity that I'll gladly post if needed.

Finn said:
Funny, how something similar can be said about all of Biblical history.
One single council that happened centuries after the last book of the Bible was written can hardly be considered Biblical history. Catholic history is a much better word.
Perhaps if you had read the article, you would know that the council was held to answer and mend Protestant concerns so that the Catholic church could condemn us for not following them.
It was the result a squabble that developed because of corruption and heresy within the church, and has nothing to do with Biblical history.

In my defense, I never doubted Jesus' existence. I said something along the lines of "if you believe that story at all," and left it up to the reader.
You said: "And of course, all of this is assuming you believe in the story of Jesus anyway."
I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way.

The_Raiders

WillKill4Food said:
It says that a million people afraid of the name suggests that there is something divine about it. But, that's not a valid argument, like you said. Billions fear the swastika, too. However, there is much support for Christianity that I'll gladly post if needed.

Man, you seem like one of the only people here who agrees with the stuff I say, and It's very pleasing to read that someones not afraid to admit there're a Christian :hat:

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
Good, then there's nothing to disagree with. Like I said, there are good arguments, "strength in numbers" just isn't one of them.

WillKill4Food said:
One single council that happened centuries after the last book of the Bible was written can hardly be considered Biblical history. Catholic history is a much better word.
Perhaps if you had read the article, you would know that the council was held to answer and mend Protestant concerns so that the Catholic church could condemn us for not following them.
It was the result a squabble that developed because of corruption and heresy within the church, and has nothing to do with Biblical history.
In similar manner, it's stupid to say that it's the Arthurian legends and such that have formed our current understanding of the Grail, especially when those are allegedly renounced as mostly fiction by all of us. I wasn't actually pointing out an infallacy in the content of your arguments, but the argumentation itself. And you made my point yourself, beautifully. See?

WillKill4Food

Man, you seem like one of the only people here who agrees with the stuff I say, and It's very pleasing to read that someones not afraid to admit there're a Christian .
Even though monkey suggested that everybody in Tennessee is a Christian, that's far from the truth.
About once a week somebody in our town sends a letter to the editor of our newspaper (a newspaper, not a religious forum) and says that Christians are misguided and that we are all fools. The schools are worse.
That's why I'm used to defending my faith, but I have not begun to fight for my faith. This isn't the place.
In similar manner, it's stupid to say that it's the Arthurian legends and such that have formed our current understanding of the Grail, especially when those are allegedly renounced as mostly fiction by all of us.
The Arthurian legends have formed much of what we think about the grail.
Any grail expert will tell you that.
I wasn't actually pointing out an infallacy in the content of your arguments, but the argumentation itself. And you made my point yourself, beautifully. See?
Which point? You are being ambiguous.
If you are suggesting that the Bible is fallible because the grail is infallible, you are direly misguided.
The grail is never mentioned in the Bible, so it's non-existence has nothing to do with the Bible. It has no more to do with the Bible than Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

WillKill4Food

Finn said:
After skimming through your latest contributions, I honestly wasn't expecting you to.
What's that supposed to mean?
Read my edited post. I wasn't sure which point you were talking about.

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
What's that supposed to mean?
Jesus, what do you need me to do? Draw you a map so you can locate the simplest insult I just flinged at you?
WillKill4Food said:
Read my edited post.
I did, and therefore...

WillKill4Food said:
If you are suggesting that the Bible is fallible because the grail is infallible, you are direly misguided.
Luckily I didn't.

C'mon, it can't be that difficult. You're embarassing yourself here, man.

WillKill4Food

Finn said:
Jesus, what do you need me to do? Draw you a map so you can locate the simplest insult I just flinged at you?
I knew it was an insult.
However, like I said, you have made many points, and some I have agreed with and supported. Others I haven't. So, there were many you could have alluded to.

I would assume that as a moderator you are above insults during what should be an intelligent discussion.
But I guess I put too much faith in you...

The_Raiders

WillKill4Food said:
I would assume that as a moderator you are above insults during what should be an intelligent discussion.

Yeah, I'd think so too :rolleyes: but I'll stay out of your discussion ;)

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
However, like I said, you have made many points, and some I have agreed with and supported. Others I haven't. So, there were many you could have alluded to.
Going pseudo-intellectual, eh? Atta boy.

WillKill4Food said:
I'm so not going to spell out the paradox in this statement.

WillKill4Food said:
And that is why you fail.

WillKill4Food

Wow.
You enjoy making non-existent points, don't you?
Finn said:
Going pseudo-intellectual, eh? Atta boy.
Because I used vocabulary higher than a fifth grader?
Finn said:
I'm so not going to spell out the paradox in this statement.
That makes since, being that there were known.
Finn said:
And that is why you fail.
Admitting that you are unworthy of the job?

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
You enjoy making non-existent points, don't you?
Non-existent. Kind of funny to hear that word from the mouth of a devout Christian.

WillKill4Food said:
Because I used vocabulary higher than a fifth grader?
And yet again, I recommend you to actually read what I say. I haven't been once sarcastic during this discussion.

WillKill4Food said:
That makes since, being that there were known.
You know, when I have to voice the thing out in my head to get it to make sense, it's kind of not a thing that exactly brings credibility to the argument...

WillKill4Food said:
Admitting that you are unworthy of the job?
Since when has modding a forum required faith? I prefer trust.