River Phoenix or SPF better as Young Indy?

robweiner8

Avilos said:
Well this debate has come up before and I been thinking about the differences between Phoenix and Flannery. Its hard to compare because what they where asked to do was very different. I imagine River would have made the part more of his own if he was given a extended time to play it.

I am reminded of something Guy Williams said about his Zorro TV series. In the movies Zorro's Secret Identity of Don Diego was played as an over the top wimp. But Walt Disney and Williams decided that would not have worked on a TV series. On a week to week basis the character had to more likable.

The same is true of Superman. Both George Reeves and Dean Cain played Clark Kent as a normal, competent reporter. As an "every man". But in the films Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh played up Clark's bumbling qualities. Which makes since because in movies you have less time to make an impact.
This is very true, Avilos. And I think they both did excellent jobs for the situation they had.

Avilos

I agree. If I was not clear before, I liked both Phoenix and Flannery as Young Indiana Jones. Even though I admittedly like Sean more do the wide range he showed in different situations. Also the far greater quantity of his screen time. But that is not a slight at River at all.

Insomniac

Flannery didn't feel like indy to me he was to well rounded and artsy,but I love both portrayals in different ways. Hard question.

Dr Jones

In both settings, they are both perfect for Indy.

River was far more serious, a distinguised actor well known for previous works and had the manner of Harrison Ford to introuce the audiences of 1989 to a rugged young Indy read for action and adventure...leading perfectly into TLC, as also showing us the (forgive me!) somewhat convienent order of Indy hating snakes, using a whip and getting his scar AND obtaining his hat all in the space of 10 minutes! Perfect incarnation.

But no-one could pull of a more world aware and naive young Indy than Flanery, we saw a more human character there able to travel the globe and feel the pangs of love, loss, awe and inspiration over the years to show the development of Indy's knowledge and interest in what he does now, 20 years on.

They both fit the bill perfectly, and for Flanery being a lesser known actor as Indy, I feel I can accept him as nothing BUT Indy and follow him through the adventures whilst learning about him in a way I probably couldn't with River, being a more distinguished actor and his Indy range only stretching about 20-30 minutes.

Nice work from both who created Young Indy perfectly in their given media.

(y)

MaverickKing

River Phoenix. He is my third favourite actor of all time - below Johnny Depp and Peter O'Toole - and it was great to see him. I just... I don't know, I don't want to sound like a gushing fan, but it was a fairly good performance. Sean Patrick Flannery was good too, though.