Widescreen DVD or Full Screen??

SharpShooter

another important thing to remember is that while some of you may get distracted by the black bars, the fact is that these bars are only seen on standard TVs,widescreen tvs show the entire screen filled (if the DVD is ananmorphic, which most over 90% are) from 2005 on telelvision manufacturors in North america will only be making widescreen tv sets, meaning that those of you who bought Pan and scan DVD will get screwed once again in 5-10 years when you buy a wide screen tv

besides we live in a society where more is better so why not get widescreen where you get more of the image, think of it as a "supersize" for you DVD

intergamer

Renderking Fisk said:
intergamer... just for that, you get another warning! But from me, it's just as meaningless so you can laugh this one off as well.

lol

I do agree that both widescreen and fullscreen should be on one disc.

SharpShooter

intergamer said:

I don't, putting another versdion of the movie is useless for a few reasons

1. it takes up space that could be either used for more bonus materials, or even to give the widescreen version more room, which lkeads to better picture and audio

2. why would i want a pan and scan version, its not a selling feature

3. Pan and scan probably only has a few years left in it, by 2007-2008 the majority of tv's in north america will be widescreen and the studios will realize that making pan and scan is a waste of money, because only hillbillies watch it.

besides its not that hard to read the front or back of the DVD to make sure you get the widescreen version, i don't understand how someone can get confused, you either buy movies in the proper way (widescreen) or you are hopeless and by full screen

Marv

SharpShooter said:
intergamer said:

1. it takes up space that could be either used for more bonus materials, or even to give the widescreen version more room, which lkeads to better picture and audio

3. Pan and scan probably only has a few years left in it, by 2007-2008 the majority of tv's in north america will be widescreen and the studios will realize that making pan and scan is a waste of money, because only hillbillies watch it.

besides its not that hard to read the front or back of the DVD to make sure you get the widescreen version, i don't understand how someone can get confused, you either buy movies in the proper way (widescreen) or you are hopeless and by full screen

Amen to that brother.

olderguy

widescreen

I agree with the comments, Pan and Scan shouldn't even be an option. I was in Costco today and was infuriated to find they only have full screen versions of the box set.
I don't think the buyers are bringing the widescreen version into the store. I guess I go to Future Shop!!!

olderguy

Pan &Scan

Marv.
It is not a case of reading the back of the disk, you would be amazed just how many people are out there that do not know the difference. A friend of mine recently purchased a Sony Grand Waga and I was going through his DVD collection and informed him his latest Lord of the Rings purchase was full screen version. He had gone into the store and just grabbed one off the shelf and didn't even realize there were two versions.

Marv

Re: Pan &Scan

olderguy said:
Marv.
It is not a case of reading the back of the disk, you would be amazed just how many people are out there that do not know the difference. A friend of mine recently purchased a Sony Grand Waga and I was going through his DVD collection and informed him his latest Lord of the Rings purchase was full screen version. He had gone into the store and just grabbed one off the shelf and didn't even realize there were two versions.

That is his own fault though, he should have done his homework before buying a dvd. I always check the spec of a dvd before buying it, but over here in the uk, dvds are only released in widescreen so you always pic up the widescreen version.

intergamer

SharpShooter said:
intergamer said:

1. there are no bonus materials on the movie discs. there's plenty of room
2. what if you need to watch it on a 6 inch, square portable dvd player?
3. I disagree...widescreen tvs are still extremely uncommon - since television is fullscreen (tv stands for television, not digital versatile disc)

widescreen is better than fullscreen, but how can you say that having either one is better than having both?

SharpShooter

intergamer said:

1. there are no bonus materials on the movie discs. there's plenty of room
2. what if you need to watch it on a 6 inch, square portable dvd player?
3. I disagree...widescreen tvs are still extremely uncommon - since television is fullscreen (tv stands for television, not digital versatile disc)

widescreen is better than fullscreen, but how can you say that having either one is better than having both?

1. Yes that is the case with the indy DVD's but most DVD do have bonus material on the same disc as the movie
2. That is still how you should watch it, because are you going to have a 6 inch Tv for the rest of your life? No
3. North american Television manufacturors will not be making standard size TV's after 2005, so widescreen will be the only new available tvs (after stock is sold out) and since they will no longer be the second type of tv, theier price will come down, so more people will buy one

Pan and scan is wrong, it ruins the artsit's vision. Film is like any other media, i mean would you cut a few seconds of stairway to heaven, rip out a few chapters from Lord of the Rings or chop the sides of the Mona Lisa?

No!

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
I wholeheartedly agree with my good friend Render' on this issue, and having earned my undergraduate degree in film production, I am also just as vehement about it.

I do have to throw in one comment to everyone, and I am sure Render' will back me up. Remember that there are many great films made before the advent of widescreen cinematography that are "full screen" because they were intended to be and always have been. Do not avoid the following films on DVD by misreading the specifications:

CASABLANCA
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE MARK OF ZORRO
TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

and yes, Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket was also shot in 4:3 full frame.

IndyFrench

SharpShooter

IndyFrench said:
I wholeheartedly agree with my good friend Render' on this issue, and having earned my undergraduate degree in film production, I am also just as vehement about it.

I do have to throw in one comment to everyone, and I am sure Render' will back me up. Remember that there are many great films made before the advent of widescreen cinematography that are "full screen" because they were intended to be and always have been. Do not avoid the following films on DVD by misreading the specifications:

CASABLANCA
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE MARK OF ZORRO
TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

and yes, Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket was also shot in 4:3 full frame.

IndyFrench

right, widescreen wasn't invented until the 1950's and still a few films after that were shot in 4:3

what you want to look for on a DVD is "original aspect ratio", this means the aspect in which the film was originally released in

Udvarnoky

I hate it when two versions of the movie or put on one single-sided disc. Why let the pan-and-scan cause compression artifacts?

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Actually Renderking, I am in agreement once again. I have an extensive appreciation for pre-blockbuster Hollywood. Out of the 300+ DVDs I own, here's a sampling in addition to the ones I mentioned above -

Lawrence of Arabia
Notorious
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Spellbound
The Third Man
Khartoum
It Happened One Night
The Longest Day
and the list goes ON AND ON.

You're in good company Renderking.
Mike

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyFrench said:
Actually Renderking, I am in agreement once again. I have an extensive appreciation for pre-blockbuster Hollywood. Out of the 300+ DVDs I own, here's a sampling in addition to the ones I mentioned above -

Lawrence of Arabia
Notorious
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Spellbound
The Third Man
Khartoum
It Happened One Night
The Longest Day
and the list goes ON AND ON.

You're in good company Renderking.
Mike

I, too, am agreeing with you again, Ren.

-=]Fr@nk[=-

just a quick question cause i'm going to buy the dvd's in a few minutes here in NL.

how can you tell the difference between the widescreen and normal version? is it written on the box? Because i dont want to buy the wrong version :S

thnx

Joe Brody

Packaging

The boxes are clearly marked -- with (I think) a black band on the front and side that says the version type. Also, my recollection is that boxes for the two versions are different colors. The widescreen is more reddish/brownish leather, and I think normal screen is in more of a sandy color (I'm not 100% sure on this because I made a bee-line for the widescreen).

LASTCRUSADER

Re: Packaging

Joe Brody said:
The boxes are clearly marked -- with (I think) a black band on the front and side that says the version type. Also, my recollection is that boxes for the two versions are different colors. The widescreen is more reddish/brownish leather, and I think normal screen is in more of a sandy color (I'm not 100% sure on this because I made a bee-line for the widescreen).

Your absolutly right. That is how you can tell the difference.

Orange

is the widescreen raiders dvd supposed to be dark?

before buying the indy dvds in widescreen, i read this negative customer review at amazon.com, but bought the dvds anyway:

"I love these movies but what happened to the contrast / color? I played them on two different TV/DVD player combos cause I thought I had a problem. These have to be the worst professional transferes I have ever seen. Extremely dark. I've done better transferes with my home movies. Hold off buying this set until you have seen them and judge them for yourself...I've seen bootlegs better than these. What are you people thinking? Didn't anyone proof these when you got done? I can't believe it took this long to get this garbage out. Is this a ploy to force people to buy the new remastered/redigitized/recolored deluxe set in 2 years?"

the raiders of the lost ark dvd does seem to have a dark picture, so i was wondering if my dvd set (and that of the woman who wrote the above review) were just bad copies or if that is the way all of the raider of the lost ark dvds are. someone please tell me.