Two other continuity problems?

AHegele

Seaner said:
i also dont get why he attempts at saving mac at the end isnt he a double agent?

I think anyone would try to save him in that situation. i mean he tried to save the lead thugee guard from being crushed in Temple.

redflame35

O.K there is a few a continuity's in this movie,although it didn't detract from me enjoying it any way heres a few..

1.n the scene where they are flying to Peru from US, they fly over a "map" of a Central America region and the country of Belize is shown. That country was the British Honduras until 1973. It was then renamed to Belize.

2.he movie supposedly is taking place in 1957, yet the motorcycle that Mutt rides is based on a 2000 or newer Harley Davidson softail, showing the modern day controls and Twin Cam motor.also the motorcycle has a front disc brake. You can see the master cylinder on the handlebars. Not available in 1957.

3. In the shot of the amazon jungle where they are driving with the enemies, at first they show a truck cutting the way through and forming what would be the road in a forest full of trees and woods. After the chopper truck is blown up, a road still exists, and there's even a double road when Shia and Cate Blanchett are fighting in between cars.

4. In the scene in the army warehouse where everything metal was being attracted to the magnetic crate, the Russians' guns should have been pulled away especially the ones that are slung across there backs, or at least toward the crate, as well.

5.He must be so proud of this movie.."Directed by Steven Spielberg" is shown twice in the opening credits.

6.Professor Ox is talking Mayan in the temple in Peru. In the Peruvian jungle, they speak Aymara. Mayan was spoken in Mexico, Guatemala and all Mayan countries. Also, the stone temple design shown in the Amazon was made by Mayans in such countries, not like the ones made by Incas in Peru.see images below...

Mayan temple
ChichenItza01.jpg

Inca temple...

temple.JPG

UltimateManGod

protocida said:
I Always felt that Indy dropped the gun knewing it would shot. :confused:

That was my impression too. Look like you're giving up, but instead create a distraction.

redflame35 said:
1.n the scene where they are flying to Peru from US, they fly over a "map" of a Central America region and the country of Belize is shown. That country was the British Honduras until 1973. It was then renamed to Belize.

This seems to be somewhat common. If I'm right, Iraq was labeled in Raiders, but it didn't exist then either.

Perhilion

one scene I didn't get- when the temple starts coming down and Indy and the gang run out the way they came, how do they end up in a totally new area with the giant gears being turned by water? And what was the point of those anyways? Were they traps?

Michael24

It was probably part of a self-destruct mechanism. I mean, these secret hidden temples always destroy themselves during the climax of adventure films. :D

James

Perhilion said:
how do they end up in a totally new area with the giant gears being turned by water? And what was the point of those anyways? Were they traps?

It wasn't very clear in the film, but those were what powered the entire complex. Indy discovers the turbines are generating electricity and the power is being conducted through copper tubing. He reaches the inner chamber by following the tubing- theorizing, "The power has to be going somewhere."

(This was explained in the novelization.)

Perhilion

See, if only they had included these little things, the movie would have been better and easier to understand.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
third act = a mess

Also, at the end, right before they enter the Temple, Indy tells everyone that only he should return the crystal skull. "Why you?" Marion asks. "Because it told me to," Indy answers.

In the very next shot, THE ENTIRE GROUP is entering the temple! Was a scene cut? Why would Indy make such a thing about going at it alone, only to have everyone else follow him a second later?

Because "it brought us nothing but trouble! Look what it did to him (Ox)!"

Aha.

i also dont get why he attempts at saving mac at the end isnt he a double agent?

Yeah. And why doesn't Mac get up? Why doesn't Indy get down if he's so fond of his traitor-friend? It just stroke me as awkward that he would use his whip while he seems to be standing only a couple of feet away.

And why the heck does Indy let him tag along during the third act? I guess there was that crucial scene in one of those vehicles when Mac reminds Indy of old times and promises that he's on their side again ...or something like that.
But, you know, at that point Indy being soft on Mac is getting a bit weird. Didn't he just break his nose? I actually accept that he's more than ever fond of lecturing people in the most absurd situations. But, if age and experience should have done anything to him, it would be NOT to trust this guy again.

Perhilion said:
one scene I didn't get- when the temple starts coming down and Indy and the gang run out the way they came, how do they end up in a totally new area with the giant gears being turned by water? And what was the point of those anyways? Were they traps?

At that point I was rooting for Indy to fall down, get shot, falling behind...anything that would put him in danger. And those gears seemed to be perfect for that.

I don't care if the book explains their purpose. In the film they represent to me mostly everything what's wrong about the last half hour: There are all kinds of huge set pieces but they are barely used at all. They don't seem to have any purpose. They don't provide thrills or suprises. There's no real threat to be had in their concept. They are just there to impress and therefore become boring.

You know, the other films made me admire directors, screenwriters, actors for what they're able to create. They inspired me to try and do the same.
This film, as far as the screenplay is concerned, is taking the admiration and some of the respect away. It's like watching a bad movie is supposed to be the best learning experience. All the flaws in the end of the film actually make me believe that it's not sooo hard or impossible to write a screenplay after all.

|ZiR|

Hey, sorry if this has been addressed in other threads, but if it has I haven't seen it and nothing came up in search.

If a crystal skull was needed to open the door to the throne room, how did Francisco de Orellana and his men get in there to steal one of the skulls in the first place? :confused:

Michael24

Not really a continuity error, but just a general goof I realized last night. Indy seems to have a straight line of sight to the jungle cutter when he fires the RPG. But when the cutter blade blows off, it first crashes through a line of trucks before hitting the truck Indy is in. So if all those trucks were lined out infront of Indy, how did he have such a direct line of fire to hit the jungle cutter? No biggie, but the thought just came to me last night.

|ZiR|

Michael24 said:
Not really a continuity error, but just a general goof I realized last night.

I noticed that too. Not sure, but I think they truck they were in was bigger than the other vehicles in front. Or at least higher up.

James

|ZiR| said:
If a crystal skull was needed to open the door to the throne room, how did Francisco de Orellana and his men get in there to steal one of the skulls in the first place? :confused:

I believe the throne room could only be entered by the aliens- who were much taller in height than humans. This is why Indy had to place it so high on the door.

My theory is that when the conquistadors attacked the city, they only encountered one of the aliens above the city. Since the alien would be too large to carry, they chopped off the strange head as a prize. The headless body could've later been restored to its throne by some of the other aliens.

Of course, I'm not clear on whether or not the aliens were supposed to be dead by the time of the conquistador raid. It could always be assumed that the conquistadors found an alternate way into the throne room (perhaps by torturing the Ugha?), and decided to remove one of the heads then.

bergstrom

motifone said:
The tossing the gun on the ground and firing a bullet was lame. My friend had a much better idea, which would've made Indy much more active in plotting his escape, rather than some gun accidentally going off.

They should have all shot at him, and the bullets zapped back onto the uber-magnetized crate, hitting some of the soldiers in the process.

That would have been a great idea on paper, except for one thing, the force of the bullets when shot from a gun would have hit Indy anyway, even gone past him even. Now, if one soldier swung at him with a metal bar, he and the bar would have been dragged back because of the lack of speed/force exerted.

So, even if the idea played out as you conceived it, some people would have brought up my theory and given out about it and the plausibility of it.

You can't win.

Now, if they box was situated between Indy and the soldiers, then YES, he could have said fire away and they would have been just dragged flat onto the metal box.

berg

Finn

Staff member
Mac...

Why Indy let Mac tag along after the jungle chase was because Mac was able to convince him that he was actually a double agent and they obviously had had many adventures during the war with Mac acting as a regular goody two shoes... Indy had no reason to doubt anything else.

What doesn't make sense to me was Mac's death however. I can understand why Indy attempted to save him... no matter what you think, it was the right thing to do. He couldn't have just walked out of the temple thinking "s***w him". Also, Mac letting go of the whip was obviously supposed to be a "redeeming moment". However, Indy never appeared to be in danger himself. It was just... meh.

I was actually partially waiting a similar moment as in LC. You know, Mac dying and Indy nearly getting dragged into the vortex too but saved at the last second by Mutt. Perhaps they considered something like that but decided to drop it because it would have been too clearly an echo from LC. I wouldn't have minded though. Would probably just have found it a nice little nod to the end of the previous adventure in form of a dejá vu.

A totally different notion, but did anybody else notice that for the first time Indy was able to win the "big guy fight" by simply being better at it? He didn't need a strike of luck or some other distraction... he just kicked Dovchenko's hide fair and square and made him fall to the swarm.