Alcohol

Jay R. Zay

raider5.jpg

-Tastes just like the local sewer.

Yes, yet another new thread, inspired by the cheese thread.

What alcoholic beverage do you prefer?

usually, i drink Teacher's Scotch Whisky, Wodka Gorbatschow or Southern Comfort on the rocks.

v20.gif

vodka_gorbatschow.jpg

southern-comfort-bottle.gif

(strange enough the best picture i could find of soco).

i don't like beer so much so i didn't develop any special taste, just as for wine and champagner. how about you? beer? whiskey? cocktails? mixed drinks? wine? anything else? :whip:

Jay R. Zay

nice story. i'd recommend a blend to settle the fight in ireland. :whip:

_566711_hagar.jpg

reminds me of a cartoon i read long ago, from one of the "Hagar the Horrible" books by chris browne. probably it's not pretty accurate but at least similar:

what are you drinking?
- blended whisky.
blended with what?
- chocolate milkshake.

a-hahahaha. yes. phew. thanks for the standing ovation. i suppose it was funnier when i read it. :p

Johan

definatly steriotypical. Molsen is the cheapest Canadian Beer. We definatly have MUCH better ones. I don't like Molsen personally. Gimme a Fort Garry or Alexander Keiths India Pale ALe

Well, I get Guinness by the keg, delievered to my home... Not much a fan of fizzy yellow beer, but if I HAVE to go that rout, prefer Black Lable to any of the other Canadian Psss in a Brown Bottle...

For stronger... Tullamore Dew... The best Irish whiskey ever... or a nice peaty scotch like Laphorag, or Lagavulin for sippin...

Or my own, home-made mead....

HovitosKing

Old Engine Oil

brookers-oldreserve.gif

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

ss_oatmeal_bott.gif

Shiner Bock

fddkBeersBy_NameShiner_Bock-resized200.gif

Warsteiner Dunkel

logo_warsteiner_180.gif

Guiness (of course)

Black and Tan (Guiness and Bass)

My beer rule is this: the thicker and darker it is, the better it is.

As far as harder stuff, I like Captain, Jim and Jack.

San Holo

I grew up poor, so I quickly developed a taste for cheap bourbon. Jimmy Beam and have been pals since the first fire-breathing sip. The best whisky I've had is probably Maker's Mark. Patron silver tequilla is mighty pleasing. As far as beer goes, I drink Miller Lite on regular nights and Guiness when I'm feeling rowdy.

roundshort

Well, beer is always fun, the Belgium's make the best, event he stuff that makes to the US is outstanding.
Gin has to be the Alchol of choice, nice in the heat and cold, with quailty MEzcal also nice.
But wine it has to be wine!

Nothing beats a high end Napa Cab, or Burgundy red or white!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Part One, the Spirits

At last, it's 6:30 am pst, and it's time to imbibe.
drink.gif

Alcohol flavor is always inspiried by mood, so, depending on the mood of any given situation, only certain adult beverages will go better with that situation then others. For example, when I sit down to peruse through the chronicles of human thought here on the Raven, it's probably best for me to grab my Kilnq lead crystal 10 oz. old fashioned sipper, drop three chuncks of cold chopped iced into the glass and dress the ice with a bit of McLain & Kyne's Jefferson Reserve Bourbon.
img1031871671.jpeg

It helps me to remember our Founding Fathers used to discuss very similar topics in their day, often with a beverage in their hand. I think of the Federalist Papers and the disagreements that Tom and John discussed in what could very well be compared to the "Message Forum" of their day. At a smidge over 90 proof, the bite of the caramel oaky vanilla nectar also helps to temper my spirit when the conversations here go awry.

Always a good choice.

Then of course, there is my most favorite all-purpose alcohol of all, the one I was introduced to, Vodka. This distilled spirit is perhaps the purest of all forms of alcohol and can be used for a variety of occasions from mixing with a summery juice to shooting in a bar in Nepal. I like potato vodka myself (See Chopin), especially for most mixings, but if I am going to serve up a James Bond special, it has to be Jean Marc XO. Nothing is smoother, perfect for a bone-dry martini.
jeanmarcsm.jpg

roundshort has suggested a nice Mescal, and there are some, but unless it is derived straight from the blue agave, I typically pass. There has been a recent surge in the Tequila market as of late. Lately there are more "varietals" of blue agave out there than can be found on a French countryside. It's trendy, but that is okay. My prefered blue agave spirit is Tenoch; a most excellent shooter, though it should be more cultured neat, with a nice Hoya de Monterrey Excalibur cigar.
tenoch.gif

These review have been evolved from a long history I have with liquid libations. For several years I ruled the 3 foot piece of oak that separates the men from the boys, and during that time, I tasted, consumed, studied and served the finest spirits the world has to offer. I have seduced my tongue with Johnny Walker Blue, tickled it with a sip of Louis XIV cognac, and celebrated life with a 115 year old scotch. (a memory I would rather not have: the girl I was dating at the time was close friends with the City's DA, and now that that relationship has gone bad, I have to pray I never get brought up on charges, because he will remember I drank his spirits.)

Perhaps there will be more stories of the affair I have had with the mistress above, but I think it will be best to leave this now, and prepare for a nice description of the beers I endorse, coming in Part Two.

Webley

SINGING!
----------------------------------------------------

Give Webley a beer man give Webley a beer.
Web loves that stuff he cant get enuf.

BEER!
BEER!
BEER!

Well you can keep your whiskey you can keep your wine.
The Web-Man will take a cooled beer any old time

BEER!
BEER!
BEER!

BEER!
BEER!
BEER!

Web loves that stuff he cant get enuf.

BEER!
BEER!
BEER!

DaFedora

roundshort said:
Well, beer is always fun, the Belgium's make the best, even the stuff that makes to the US is outstanding.

Damn straight, Roundshort, we produce some (if not all) of the best beer in the world :p !
It's supposed to be an old connaisseur's debate between Germany and Belgium - 'who's got the best beer'. Recently there was yet another article in the newspaper on the selection of 10 best beers in Belgium, selected by an international critics board.

I personnally like Palm and Leffe (ringabell?), and occasionally Martin's Pale Ale, though I think there are far better Pale Ale's out there. Duvel is also very known down here - I think Gilles will concur on that.
Wines: hooray for the Australian Coonnawarra Chardonnay
Montbazillac (sweet dessert wine),
Muscadet Sauvignon (special Greek grapes)

Stronger stuff: sorry, I favor rhum (Havana Club) over scotch - though an occasional random Brandy (any regular Brandy drinkers who can advise me the better stuff?) ... and regarding tequilla: heck, I once tried it and didn't tasted much (neither felt the alcohol insurge), even after four shots with salt and lime :confused:
Cocktails: I'm totally fond of Gin-associated drinks: Ginn Fizz, Tom Collins, a Blue Lagoon/Lady, anything with rhum in it...

A sweets special: Brandy Alexander : brandy with cocoa-cream liquor, topped with fine cocoa powder ... when good prepared a genuine delight!

And did I mention that my dorm is located in the same town where InBev, the largest world beer export consortium, has its HQ ?

On the side: my grandfather used to work in a metal barrel-producing factory, where he self-handedly engraved a lot of the labels, ("that miniature work needed the steady hand of somewhat of an artisan") to be pressed into the steel - when he retired, they changed into automative technology to make those matrixes.
Whenever he's on holiday and spots barrels been unloaded somewhere at a café, he very often remarks: 'that's exactly the kind of models we used to produce in the factory - wouldn't be surprised if the label is still based on my carving'... yeah he's real proud of his contribution to the beer-exporting trade allright :D

westford

Right now I'm drinking a glass of Keo (Cyprus beer brought back from holiday) - it's lovely, no chemical after-taste like you get with some beers. I used to drink a lot of Miller, but I'm also partial to Hoegaarden and Stella Artois.

I've been enjoying some rose wine over the summer (white zinfandel is good). I'm not a big fan of red wine, but rose goes down a treat.

The last good whisky we had was Glen Morangie - my boyfriend likes his whisky straight, but I usually befoul it with lemonade so I tend not to drink it unless we have a cheaper bottle of blended stuff. (And I call myself Scottish... ;) I can't help it, I've got a sweet tooth!)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I prefer sweet over sour myself, and rarely anything "hard". I prefer a smooth Muscat or a sweet Mead after a nice, fulling meal (or a long hard day). My weakness is for wines, rose/blush, red, or white. So long as it has a good taste, I'm not too picky.

Recently, however, I have discovered the joys of Smirnoff Twisted
20050326171317.jpg

Anything stronger than that tends to make my skin start to peel...but I'm working my way up there.;)

roundshort

Well, while Wine is the greatest of all beverages, man can not live on the stuff alone. A good G&T on a hot day espeically with Distillery 209 Gin, this is a new product made in San Francisco, and is with out a doubt the best stuff ever made. A good friend of mine told me that the super high end restaurants in London (Yes hard to believe there is any good food, but I hear there is some, Gordon Ramsey, The Square, The Greenhouse, Vineyard at Stockcross, to name a few) all have jumped ont he 209 gin bandwagon. So if you are a gin fan, try and land a bottle of this stuff.

We had a 1990 Herimatage last night, and while still drinkng a little young, was really, really nice.