Indy 5 action figures

lao che & sons

When I said they don't sell them anymore i meant the last crusade and temple of doom waves which they did sell but sold out after 1 hour!;)

JimmyPSHayes

Hopefully they've learned their lesson with the first release of the toys. I mean distribution wise. I really enjoyed the figures themselves.

inky_skin

Errex said:
But, Wasn't it much easier to get both ToD and LC waves from the UK and/or Canada?:confused:

I'm actually very suprised at how easy it was. I panicked and bought early from HTS, but last weekend I visited a Toys'R'Us in the next county and they had nothing but ToD figs on the shelves - and at a reduced price (all characters bar the army-building Thuggee Guard). TLC figs can still be found at most of the large grocery store chains over here too. Weird, n'est pas ?

tnswman

JimmyPSHayes said:
Hopefully they've learned their lesson with the first release of the toys. I mean distribution wise. I really enjoyed the figures themselves.

I think they did..Talking to my friends at Hasbro..they really know that they have to play hard ball with Lucasfilm now and tighten up the multiple case packs of the same characters. The retailers are all for an Indy line that is SHORT LIVED and requires very little investment with no restrictions on ordering.

It will be a quick hit and run followed by people here complaining that they can't find the figures. Well, not all cakes have icing people.

tnswman

Errex said:
But, Wasn't it much easier to get both ToD and LC waves from the UK and/or Canada?:confused:

YES! It was...Mainly because the stores were a little late in the shipping game and they didn't order in the numbers that U.S. stores did..Thus, sell-throughs were more common which lead to fresh product.

In the U.S. each time a WM store sold 7 figures, a new case was shipped to that store...it was usually the same case after the same case of stale product.

mister64

Did the issues with the 2008 Indy line's sales make it less likely for characters like Mac, Oxley Donovan and Marcus? Assuming they were short-packed and stores have more leeway in ordering cases, they shouldn't pegwarm more than any of the "less interesting to kids" figures from the 08 line.

It looks to me like there are only 1-2 more waves worth of characters (main character costume changes and secondary and tertiary characters) not counting ROTLA wave 2 that could conceivably be made. (* -unlikely to be made because they wouldn't be as memorable to casual fans)

ROTLA
Belloq (Jungle)
Jock*
Hovito Warrior
Dietrich
Gobler
Tough Sergeant (prototype is pictured in other threads)
Indiana Jones Nepal Bar Fight
Marion Bar Fight*
Nepal Bar Fight Thug
Belloq Cairo*
Indiana Jones with Staff of Ra (sculpted robes this time perhaps?)
Captain Katanga*

TOD
Club Obi-Wan Indiana Jones
Lao Che
Lao Che's thug (son, possibly?)*
Wu Han*
Lao Che Pilot*
Captain Blummbert*
Chattar Lal*
Earl Weber* (very, very unlikely but would be cool)
Black Sleep of Kali Indiana Jones
Little Maharajah*
Thuggee Assassin
Eleventh Poona Rifles Soldier*

TLC
Professor Indiana Jones
Walter Donovan
Marcus Brody
Sallah with fez and tie
Dr. Henry Jones Sr. (no jacket, with removable handkerchief headcovering and maybe glue the glasses on this time so they're not so easy to lose)
Kazim*
Brotherhood of the Cruciform soldier* (could be two-pack with same body from Kazim figure, like the Cairo Thugs)
German Pilot*
Indiana Jones in "no ticket" disguise
Panama Hat*
Fedora*
German Soldier

KOTCS
Motorcycle Chase Indiana Jones (professor suit with removable hat)
Mutt Williams with hat
Mac
Oxley
Marion
Russian Soldier with correct hat*
Colonel Dovchenko with correct hat*
Government Agent (nameless guy in suit, could be Soviet or FBI agent)*
Blue Ugha
Dovchenko in U.S. Army Disguise*
Russian Soldier in U.S. Army Disguise*

Most of those choices get pretty close to scraping the bottom of the barrel, but would only be 2 6-figure waves each.

tnswman, do you think 1 more wave from each previous film and 1-2 from Indy 5 would be a reasonable expectation if the Indy line would come back only for the year Indy 5 is released?

tnswman

mister64 said:
Did the issues with the 2008 Indy line's sales make it less likely for characters like Mac, Oxley Donovan and Marcus? Assuming they were short-packed and stores have more leeway in ordering cases, they shouldn't pegwarm more than any of the "less interesting to kids" figures from the 08 line.

It looks to me like there are only 1-2 more waves worth of characters (main character costume changes and secondary and tertiary characters) not counting ROTLA wave 2 that could conceivably be made. (* -unlikely to be made because they wouldn't be as memorable to casual fans)

ROTLA
Belloq (Jungle)
Jock*
Hovito Warrior
Dietrich
Gobler
Tough Sergeant (prototype is pictured in other threads)
Marion Bar Fight*
Nepal Bar Fight Thug
Belloq Cairo*
Indiana Jones with Staff of Ra (sculpted robes this time perhaps?)
Captain Katanga*

TOD
Lao Che
Lao Che's thug (son, possibly?)*
Wu Han*
Lao Che Pilot*
Captain Blummbert*
Chattar Lal*
Little Maharajah*
Thuggee Assassin
Eleventh Poona Rifles Soldier*

TLC
Professor Indiana Jones
Walter Donovan
Marcus Brody
Sallah with fez and tie
Dr. Henry Jones Sr. (no jacket, with removable handkerchief headcovering and maybe glue the glasses on this time so they're not so easy to lose)
Kazim*
Brotherhood of the Cruciform soldier* (could be two-pack with same body from Kazim figure, like the Cairo Thugs)
German Pilot*
Indiana Jones in "no ticket" disguise
Panama Hat*
Fedora*
German Soldier

KOTCS
Motorcycle Chase Indiana Jones (professor suit with removable hat)
Mutt Williams with hat
Mac
Oxley
Marion
Russian Soldier with correct hat*
Colonel Dovchenko with correct hat*
Government Agent (nameless guy in suit, could be Soviet or FBI agent)*
Blue Ugha

Most of those choices get pretty close to scraping the bottom of the barrel, but would only be 2 6-figure waves each.

tnswman, do you think 1 more wave from each previous film and 1-2 from Indy 5 would be a reasonable expectation if the Indy line would come back only for the year Indy 5 is released?

Ok, I'm going to tell a little bit more than normal of the information that my Hasbro guys give me. Using your list, I am going to list the names that have been MENTIONED as being on Hasbro's "short list"

ROTLA
Hovito Warrior
Dietrich
Gobler
Marion Bar Fight*
Nepal Bar Fight Thug
Belloq Cairo*
Captain Katanga*

TOD
Lao Che
Little Maharajah*
Thuggee Assassin

TLC
Professor Indiana Jones
Walter Donovan
Marcus Brody
Sallah with fez and tie
Kazim*
Fedora*

KOTCS
Mac
Oxley
Marion
Blue Ugha

Now there are a couple of others that were mentioned but this list is on the right track as to where the line could have gone.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
tnswman said:
TLC
Professor Indiana Jones
Walter Donovan
Marcus Brody
Sallah with fez and tie
Kazim*
Fedora*

I've gotta say, this potential TLC set is the stuff that dreams are made of. 5 men in suits and then a guy who's dressed just like Indy? I'm impressed.

Oh, and thanks for going out on a limb a bit with some additional info, tnswman.

inky_skin

While information without verifiable source is mere speculation, I'd be curious to know whether Hasbro had planned additional mail-away premiums for the line beyond the Crystal Skeleton - tnswman ?

Lance Quazar

Attila the Professor said:
I've gotta say, this potential TLC set is the stuff that dreams are made of. 5 men in suits and then a guy who's dressed just like Indy? I'm impressed.

Especially frustrating since there are so many other great LC choices out there.

Like, um...Herman. Or Zeppelin Pursuer Indy....or......

Note, I'm not mocking your post at all. I agree with you that there weren't many obvious figures to get from LC (though I would have happily scooped up all the aforementioned figures.)

What I think is especially frustrating is that, unlike the vast universe of Star Wars figures, for example, I think the vast majority of collectors would have been more than satisfied with just one more year of Indy.

An additional wave per film would have gotten almost all the "must have" figures out of the way and the line could have died with thousands of happy customers instead of angry ones.

Beyond the 2nd Raiders wave and a few additions like Belloq and Dietrich, Raiders would have been done.

Throw in a Club Obi Wan wave and ToD is done. LC really only needed Donovan, Sallah and Marcus.

Throw in Ox, Mac and Marion, with maybe US disguised Russians and KOTCS is done.

So close....and yet so far.....

I really do hope that if there is an Indy 5, they will make it a short, focused production line to fill in the gaps quickly and easily.

And it really shouldn't be hard to do.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
To clarify, Lance, I wasn't being sarcastic at all in that post. I truly am impressed that they'd take a gamble like that, since in the past it seems they've shied away from too many people in suits. I really do like that as a prospective wave.

tnswman

Attila the Professor said:
To clarify, Lance, I wasn't being sarcastic at all in that post. I truly am impressed that they'd take a gamble like that, since in the past it seems they've shied away from too many people in suits. I really do like that as a prospective wave.

You know....I really think that the idea that was kicked around was to mix figures together for what was to be released this year. I know that they did talk about it as it would allow the waves to have better sell through instead of stacking a case full of the "MEN IN SUITS". I'm betting that we will see this very thing when the line returns..Kind of a "best of IJ" line instead of movie waves.

You are welcome! However, I don't think that I was out on much of a limb though because some of these figures may have just been Insider wishes.

As far as verification..I guess I just have to go on my track record with the information. I am still trying to get them to let me see the Flying Wing concepts that I was "shown" It's pretty much one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

tnswman

inky_skin said:
While information without verifiable source is mere speculation, I'd be curious to know whether Hasbro had planned additional mail-away premiums for the line beyond the Crystal Skeleton - tnswman ?

To my knowledge, no more mail-away's were planned. They generally follow a new line's opening or counter promotion with a media event.

Hasbro really took a beating on the current mail-in offers. So, who knows if that will be something they re-visit. I'm thinking that they might do it on a smaller scale of maybe one item that has a very limited capacity.

inky_skin

tnswman said:
Hasbro really took a beating on the current mail-in offers.

Due to their being over-subscribed ? I'm kinda suprised that they did an extra run of figures for the offer in the US - we in the UK had a rigidly enforced cut-off date of last October, and when the quota allocated to the region had run out - that was it.

I respect that you can talk openly about what you were privy to in terms of unreleased product, but do other prototype sculpts exist (for unreleased figures) other than the 6 we've seen ?

Incidentally, I'm not knocking the quality of your info, it's just that (working in the media) anything I can't independently verify gets my antennae twitching ! I'm naive enough to believe most people at face value - especially where tasty Indy titbits are concerned :) I notice that you state 'when the line returns' - just a wink will suffice if you have firm insider intel on this...

Last edited:

tnswman

inky_skin said:
Due to their being over-subscribed ? I'm kinda suprised that they did an extra run of figures for the offer in the US - we in the UK had a rigidly enforced cut-off date of last October, and when the quota allocated to the region had run out - that was it.

I respect that you can talk openly about what you were privy to in terms of unreleased product, but do other prototype sculpts exist (for unreleased figures) other than the 6 we've seen ?

Incidentally, I'm not knocking the quality of your info, it's just that (working in the media) anything I can't independently verify gets my antennae twitching ! I'm naive enough to believe most people at face value - especially where tasty Indy titbits are concerned :) I notice that you state 'when the line returns' - just a wink will suffice if you have firm insider intel on this...

Well, Hasbro has FULL intentions of re-visiting the line if another movie hits. Even though there were a LOT of figures left over, the line was a success. so ;)

Now, they did not do another run of Crystal Skeletons. They actually just didn't get enough orders to sell the figures out. So, they had to extend the offer all the way untilthe end of their contract with the stores and others in hopes that post-movie sales would mean that more people would order the mail-in figures.

As far as other sculpts. Yes and Maybe. There was quite a few things being worked on for the line at various stages of pre-production. It was all put away for now ;)

glorbes

tnswman said:
I am still trying to get them to let me see the Flying Wing concepts that I was "shown" It's pretty much one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Whoa...they did up plans for this? Here's hoping it'll go into production if/when another Indy film is produced. Any mention of an LC tank?

As for the line itself, I have to say that it's a dream come true...I've wanted these figures for many many years, and I think the ones we got are amazing. No complaints from me, despite the fact that there were distribution problems. I got some decent quality Indy toys, and I'm very happy abbout that.

deckard24

Originally Posted by tnswman
I am still trying to get them to let me see the Flying Wing concepts that I was "shown" It's pretty much one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
Man... I'd love to see the concepts as well. If made, that could possibly go down as the coolest toy ever!