Hemming Wested Pants

BadDates

Hi all, I recently got a pair of Wested pants and I would be really grateful for any advice on getting the hem just right. I've done a lot of searching and found various discussions online but nothing I could really call a definitive source. I know it's a 4" military hem but is the 4" at the back or the front? The best thing would be a photo/diagram I could print to take in to a tailor and say "this, please" rather than try to describe it.

S. Dakota Jones

Hope this helps.

The Military Hem
The Indiana Jones pants are tailored with a classic military styled pants hem. The front of the hem is one inch higher than the back and the hem stitch is four to five inches from the bottom as illustrated by the stills from the film. A standard military hem is at most three inches, but it appears as though the Indiana Jones pants were hemmed at about four or five inches, most likely so Harrison Ford would not get them caught on his ankle-high boots while filming.

From here:http://www.indygear.com/igpants.html just over midway down the page and includes pics but no diagram.

Goodeknight

BadDates said:
I know it's a 4" military hem but is the 4" at the back or the front? The best thing would be a photo/diagram I could print to take in to a tailor and say "this, please" rather than try to describe it.

Wow, you're really taking screen accuracy to a new level.

"It was his obsession, really. But he never found the pants."

BadDates

Goodeknight said:
Wow, you're really taking screen accuracy to a new level.

"It was his obsession, really. But he never found the pants."

Believe me, when judged against the whole spectrum of cosplaying fandom out there on the web, I am a mere dilettante.

I wish Wested could stock some longer lengths - I need my pants to be 35" inseam, but to do them right, I'd need 39" pants, which is longer than they make.

BadDates

Sorry to hear they don't do them long enough for you :-(

As for mine, in the end the tailor I took them to couldn't/wouldn't do 4" (at the front) hems - the maximum she'd do was 2". I'm still pleased with the result. I wore them at the weekend and managed not to mess them up too much even when scrambling under a bridge for a geocache.

As a bonus the itchy sensation is starting to fade :)