A Message to Disney

Tibor

I don't think there's any misunderstanding among the people that own creative control over the character. They know people want more. I have always thought that Ford brings a subtlety to the character that is under-appreciated and I'd like to see it more in another movie with him playing Indy.

That said, with the success of Marvel, the Star Trek Reboot, and the Clone Wars animated series... I'm sure we'll see the character in other places and with other artists. I'd enjoy "The Further, Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" in comics, and an animated series ala Clone Wars would be great (and maybe keep Ford connected to the character for an additional time).

I would also love to see a new, talented, relatively unknown actor take on the character and tell me a story with Fortestal from the early 1930s. I don't think it's an either/or proposition, there's room and finances and a business case to support all of that. :hat:

Djd1

The indy films have never been a comfortable fit... They're not quite family fodder yet they've been trying to be since Last Crusade. Raiders works so well because it's quite a grown up film despite its pulp roots... It's gritty. It is not a toy selling vehicle and it's not one forthe little kids. With Skull George did a Return of the Jedi. He forgot about the adult audience that made Raiders a hit and tried to make it a kids film to sell action figures. Would Disney have any stomach to go back to the grittiness of Raiders and Temple? I personally doubt it and I've no desire to see Indy bought back as something cute and wholesome

kongisking

Djd1 said:
The indy films have never been a comfortable fit... They're not quite family fodder yet they've been trying to be since Last Crusade. Raiders works so well because it's quite a grown up film despite its pulp roots... It's gritty. It is not a toy selling vehicle and it's not one forthe little kids. With Skull George did a Return of the Jedi. He forgot about the adult audience that made Raiders a hit and tried to make it a kids film to sell action figures. Would Disney have any stomach to go back to the grittiness of Raiders and Temple? I personally doubt it and I've no desire to see Indy bought back as something cute and wholesome

I do hate how Lucas defends his more silly choices with Star Wars by saying, "it's for kids, and always was." But at least that argument is sorta believable, since A New Hope, in hindsight, feels very light, fluffy and family-friendly. And Empire Strikes Back had little of his direct control, hence why its so much more adult.

But George has no excuse with Indiana Jones, which from the start was dark, serious and had genuine balls. And not even his movies. I still think overly-prudish fans and critics are partially to blame for the kiddie-fying of Indy, since the last time it took itself totally seriously was TOD...and the insane Parental Guardians lambasted the beards. We know Lucas doesn't give a rat's rear about criticism, but Steven seems to be hyper-sensitive to it. Hence, he will probably never, ever make a gritty Indy ever again, cause he's paranoid of going 'too far' like with TOD.

Djd1

I agree but it's also apparent they they expect the Indy franchise to shift merchandise like star wars and other block busters... It never did. Just wasn't that sort of film. The Jungle Cutter in Skull was so obviously designed with the toy market in mind. Ironic that the dull old Raiders truck is the one the fans wanted to buy.

Henry W Jones

HenryJunior said:
If we want to send a message to Disney there just needs to be a more active fan-base. We don't need any pandering videos or petitions, we need to dress up at the Conventions, buy every movie, game and toy we can get our hands on (YES including that awful Figma figure). Disney only produces when they see dollar signs, which we can make happen!

D2Xcjue.jpg

What is so awful about this figure?

Last edited by a moderator:

kongisking

Well, crap. I'm turning into Lucas, editing and replacing my old work!

I've created an updated and, in my opinion, improved version of my tribute trailer I posted on here a while back. It uses Blu-ray quality footage, has the audio flaws fixed, and includes some different clips on occasion but is mostly the same video as before in structure and whatnot.

I hope you all like the new version, and I'd appreciate if it were shared elsewhere, to help it get more exposure.

Enjoy, fellow adventurers:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HXUYkAu37Ww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HenryJunior

-Henry W Jones

Awful may have been a strong word but I'm not a big fan of it. I don't like how Figma does their joints with those weird disks, and the paint seems a bit weak. Figma has had a longer history with Anime and video game figures than realistic ones. It isn't really there style and IMO it shows. Best thing I can say is Hemble did an amazing custom a few months back that really breathed life into that figure.

On the other side, for about 20 to 40 bucks cheaper I can get the Star Wars Black Series: Han Solo from Hasbro.

Black-Series-Han-Solo-15_zps87d61571.jpg

I'll grant you the Figma figure has moveable eyes and all that jazz, but on a 6-7 Inch figure that's really just window dressing to jack up prices. I need to get my hands on one to make a really fair assessment of it. If you like it, hey it's all good, I just wanted to make my case.

-Kong

Sorry for the toy talk but it does relate to how Disney is handling Indy licensing :rolleyes:

As for the vid, that's a fantastic edit! I saw the older version awhile back and I gotta say the HD really does make it a lot better! :D

kongisking

Well, what began as a simple desire to make a truly worthy tribute to Indiana Jones, given the saddening drought of quality ones on YouTube, turned into quite a mess with all the re-uploads and copyright issues. For those not in the know, my last version was taken down because of a copyright complaint.

So I've created a new version with new music, most of which is royalty-free, but the rest I have gone out of my way to edit so that it is far enough removed from the old track to not count as infringement anymore. And I also tried to add some new bits, to really go for broke and make it as epic as possible.

I really hope you all like this (hopefully last) version of my video, since this really did turn into an exhausting little mini-quest to make it the best it could be and get it out there. I want to believe it all paid off. Enjoy!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gxb_Pi3AHtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(and I ask the mods to revise the post with the prior version to get rid of that embed. Much obliged. :hat: )

kongisking

I do recognize this is not something that most on here are deeply invested in, but I accidentally screwed up while trying to edit some things using YouTube's Video Editor tool (first time using it) and ended up erasing all but a second of the video. Believe me, I'm starting to believe the popular opinion of me being a klutz. But...just because I am determined to still share this damnable thing no matter what with an actual Indy fan community where it belongs, here's the proper final upload. No more. I swear, no more!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CMXDYMQ3Bd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>