The Frank Darabont Script

eshine

James said:
Marion does get to be a little more proactive in KOTCS, especially compared to ROTLA, where she just kept getting captured (even by an airplane!).

She not only sets the adventure in motion, but later gets a chance to save Indy with a reckless plan of her own. And ultimately, she also helps him to regain the life he had lost in the beginning of the film.
Exactly!

I'm not sure where folks are getting this idea that she does is stand around and smile during this movie?

I suppose people were hoping for punches and boozing - which is what Darabont offered in droves.

James

eshine said:
I'm not sure where folks are getting this idea that she does is stand around and smile during this movie?

After seeing that footage of Karen on the Peruvian marketplace set, I really wouldn't mind a dvd extra consisting solely of Marion standing around and smiling. :)

Royce

Way of the dodo said:
On film Yuri would have been an annoying Russian Jar Jar Binks. And the biplane thing would have required even more phony greenscreen than the jungle chase. And really, there's too much Marion, (in the script and the movie. A cameo would have been plenty, there's too many characters). In the trilogy, Indy's character interactions were very deliberately designed to be NEW every time, because it's more dynamic. Mutt served the movie better.

On the other hand Darabont's ending did a much better job, with Indy actually DOING something.
Why does Indy have to DO something? Did he DO anything in Raiders?

Rococo

James said:
After seeing that footage of Karen on the Peruvian marketplace set, I really wouldn't mind a dvd extra consisting solely of Marion standing around and smiling. :)

I'd second that request.

WRT the Darabont script, I can't understand how people think Marion was silly or ridiculous in KOTCS, when this line was in the Darabont script:

Marion: "To find the Lost City and name it after myself. 'Marion-ville.'"

Gag. Thank you, George Lucas, for saying no to this script.

Crusade>Raiders

Rococo said:
I'd second that request.

WRT the Darabont script, I can't understand how people think Marion was silly or ridiculous in KOTCS, when this line was in the Darabont script:

Gag. Thank you, George Lucas, for saying no to this script.

Rococo said:

Rococo said:

FAILURE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. Wow.

Darth Vile

I think this issue with Marion in KOTCS, if one exists, is that she just didn't have enough screen time to shine. I think her character worked fine within the movie... but clearly the focus was on Indy and Mutt and not Indy and Marion. I would have liked more Marion for sure, but in these situations where it's an ensemble piece, screen time has to be divvied up.

Benraianajones

I like, as simple as they are, Marion's lines:

"Indy - the eyes..."
"More worshippers?"

Aside from all the humour she has been in in CS, we get to see a serious, questioning side, and I'd have liked to have seen this a little bit more, her investigating things and lending her hand at solving.

SterankoII

I think the Marion's proactiveness in COTG considering she was never into archaelogy before was that in the scripts prior to Darabont's the love interest was a female archaelogist named Molly. Indy falls in love with and marries her at the end of those versions. I think most of her stuff was transplanted to Marion.

I also hate that Darabont old black janitor in the museum. That's such a tired cliche. There aren't at any black main characters in the finished film but at least we do see one of Indy's students is African-American and that there is some progress(at least in the Northern Universities) at the time.

Blade

Darth Vile said:
I think this issue with Marion in KOTCS, if one exists, is that she just didn't have enough screen time to shine. I think her character worked fine within the movie... but clearly the focus was on Indy and Mutt and not Indy and Marion. I would have liked more Marion for sure, but in these situations where it's an ensemble piece, screen time has to be divvied up.

In american sit coms when they bring a popular character out and they get a round of applause, thats what Marion was in this. She wasn't a patch on her Raiders character...just a round of applause when people saw her again.

Darth Vile

Blade said:
In american sit coms when they bring a popular character out and they get a round of applause, thats what Marion was in this. She wasn't a patch on her Raiders character...just a round of applause when people saw her again.

Wouldn't disagree... like Salah in LC, it was an extended cameo. I think it worked too. She wasn't going to be a patch on the Marion from Raiders because she didn't have the dialogue or the screen time.

SterankoII

The thing Darabont did in his draft from previous versions of the script is that he tried to make the fourth movie as much like Raiders as possible. I can't really fault him for wanting to do that or fans for wanting that either.

Forrestal1972

I read the Darabont script last night and have re-read it twice since. It is a much more nuanced and dare I say it, adult script than the Koepp offering. I laughed a couple of times too, an experience which was in short supply during KOTCS. The Darabont script shows, in my opinion, that with no Mutt and more time for Indy and Marion, the story seems more balanced. I bought Indy and Marion getting back together in a way I just didn't watching KOTCS. I love the truck chase in the rapids and Darabont even sells the Tarzan on the vine scene (here it is Oxley who is glimpsed by Indy swinging through the trees and when Indy tries to follow, he is not as graceful). I even bought the aliens, which are actually scary and threatening in the un-shot version. It's not without it's own flaws, and we could all argue the merits of Darabont v. Koepp point for point, but I really wish they had made Darabont's script rather than the let-down Koeep cobbled together. Ah well, one can dream.

Cagefighterkip

i preferr the Koepp draft...
what few things he changed from darabonts he changed for the better (mutt swings in vines is better than indy im sorry, i dug the vines and monkeys, and i like mutt a lot and am glad he was added in)... in the overall darabonts was a fun, interesting read but koepps was better imo

KOTCS 9 outta 10 :whip:

nevsky41

I read the review of Darabont's script, and really, I don't like the sound of it. What the hell was wrong with the action sequences in KOTCS? The biplane chase sounds ridiculous, though I wouldn't have minded there being no Mac!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I would hope that it's clear that this is far from the place to discuss special effects, seeing how the topic is the Frank Darabont script. Off-topic posts deleted.

TheFedoraGuy

Sankara said:
*LOL* This is so funny to read... I guess you all know me... I don't think that anybody here watched this movies more times than me. For many years I watched this movies daily... that's the reason why I'm a wellknown Indyexpert and and why I can "transform" my Face into a Indyface... :D

Does this forum actually support blacklisting of members..?

Sankara

@Attila
Yes, you are right!

I think the FB script is a little bit better but it is a very bad script either. Like the Koepp script.

Spielberg and Ford were right... Aliens in an Indy movie? This was avery bad idea...

SterankoII

While the FD script honors the original character of Marion more I think the KOTCS script actually favors Karen Allen. She does smile too much in the film but she looks better and younger when she does. When she frowns or looks serious you're suddenly very aware of how much older she is. In the City of the Gods script Marion is serious a lot.

Zorg

Many problems could've been solved if only they would've removed some characters completely. At least Mac is, in the end, quite useless a character concerning the story. Also, they could've killed Oxley at some point, having him transfer his knowledge of the Skull to Indy and Mutt.

This would've given more time to Indy and Marion, which was desperately needed.

So, instead of Indy, Mutt, Marion, Mac, Oxley and Spalko, there would have been only Indy, Mutt, Marion and Spalko, with a brief appearance by Ox. (Marion is still kidnapped by the Russians, but she would've been on the adventure with Oxley, not just gone after him. The part with Mutt seeking out Indy and going after Marion and Oxley would've been unchanged).