TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Capt. America Indiana Jones Crossover Disney Reboot

Stooo, It's Gerry, yes me. I know you're in here somewhere, too bad we missed each other when you were in Kingston, next time! Anyways I'm finally posting something. Never really had much to add to this mesmerizing pool of knowledge, but here goes.

I really enjoyed the Capt. America film, watched it a few times and noticed what Red Skull says while holding the cube artifact, "Ze Fuhrer digs for trinkets in zee desert". Now that has got to be a reference to Raiders, wouldn't you say? Joe Johnson directed Capt. America and worked on Raiders so, more than a coincidence here. He would be great to direct a 5th one or a reboot, that is if Spielberg is not up to it. Since Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm maybe they are planning to make some kind of Capt. America Indy crossover, ha. Far fetched but hey, you never know. What do you think?
Gerry2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
kongisking
IndyFan

Probably shoulda Private Messaged Stoo, my friend. This thread is gonna be closed very soon, mark me words...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Oh really

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Probably shoulda Private Messaged Stoo, my friend. This thread is gonna be closed very soon, mark me words...

No fun, my first post. Way to welcome people.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry2001

Whoa, man, no offense intended. Our moderators frown quite unpleasantly upon threads like this. I merely meant to give you a heads-up as to how things go around here. Didn't mean to come across rude.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Finn

Quote:
Nah, let's keep it open. Simply to see if Stoo has the stones to chagrin his pal.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Stooo, It's Gerry, yes me. I know you're in here somewhere, too bad we missed each other when you were in Kingston, next time! Anyways I'm finally posting something. Never really had much to add to this mesmerizing pool of knowledge, but here goes.

I really enjoyed the Capt. America film, watched it a few times and noticed what Red Skull says while holding the cube artifact, "Ze Fuhrer digs for trinkets in zee desert". Now that has got to be a reference to Raiders, wouldn't you say? Joe Johnson directed Capt. America and worked on Raiders so, more than a coincidence here. He would be great to direct a 5th one or a reboot, that is if Spielberg is not up to it. Since Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm maybe they are planning to make some kind of Capt. America Indy crossover, ha. Far fetched but hey, you never know. What do you think?

In lieu of any real news of an Indy5 happening, I very much enjoy these snippets of possibility. The Red Skull quote does indeed sound like a reference to Raiders. I'm not so sure of the crossover suggestion. I'm a purist after all. I would like to see Indiana Jones continue of course, whether it's Harrison doing one (or two!) more, which I think is feasible, or the hat is passed on to a new actor to take up the mantle. All just wishful thinking on my part. There is so much material in books, comics and on paper in general, that it seems a waste to not put anything on film again. Indiana Jones will always be a hit.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
In lieu of any real news of an Indy5 happening, I very much enjoy these snippets of possibility. The Red Skull quote does indeed sound like a reference to Raiders. I'm not so sure of the crossover suggestion. I'm a purist after all. I would like to see Indiana Jones continue of course, whether it's Harrison doing one (or two!) more, which I think is feasible, or the hat is passed on to a new actor to take up the mantle. All just wishful thinking on my part. There is so much material in books, comics and on paper in general, that it seems a waste to not put anything on film again. Indiana Jones will always be a hit.

Yes it would be a waste not to do anything more and I do agree with keeping it pure.

Maybe Red Skull saying that line was just meant as an homage to a flim that was an inspiration.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Whoa, man, no offense intended. Our moderators frown quite unpleasantly upon threads like this. I merely meant to give you a heads-up as to how things go around here. Didn't mean to come across rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Nah, let's keep it open. Simply to see if Stoo has the stones to chagrin his pal.

kong, might I suggest familiarizing yourself with this work?

Quote:

The nod to ROTLA didn't go unnoticed here.

An Indy/Cap crossover opens up a whole can of wrigglers.

Indy might have had something to do with Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, but when you have villains removing faces to reveal skulls you open up a colourful comic book world that comprises numerous super-powered characters.

I'm sure Stewie has something to say on the differences between an adventure film and a superhero film.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
kong, might I suggest familiarizing yourself with this work?

I'm not quite sure I get it. You think I'm Machiavellian? What are you implying? This dumb-as-rocks brain needs answers, Smiffy!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I get it. You think I'm Machiavellian? What are you implying? This dumb-as-rocks brain needs answers, Smiffy!

No, kongy. To second-guess the Prince, you have to think like a Prince.

Quote:
And thus we conclude our lesson of Uncle Finny's Machiavellian machinations for this time. More shall follow when the occasion calls for it.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Faulffer
IndyFan

Quote:

Wow talk about being overly defensive... And no, what Red Skull said was historically correct; the Fuhrer Hitler (or more precisely Himmler) did indeed order German archaeologists to dug around the desert for trinkets. And not just the deserts too, but in the Himalayas and all over Europe. So no, I think what you're implying is just way off the grid.
Faulffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Red Skull was miseducated. We can put that down to the nature of imparting popular myths to the masses via poorly researched pulp such as Captain America or Raiders of the Lost Ark!

It was Himmler rather than Hitler who was obsessed with the occult.

Himmler founded the SS-Ahnenerbe in 1935, of which Otto Rahn may or may nor have been a member.

http://www.philipcoppens.com/rahn.html

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=91366

http://www.forteantimes.com/features...ost_grail.html
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #13
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm sure Stewie has something to say on the differences between an adventure film and a superhero film.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had Allan Quatermain, an adventurer, mixing it up with characters with supernatural powers. Just to say that it's been done.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had Allan Quatermain, an adventurer, mixing it up with characters with supernatural powers. Just to say that it's been done.

But not very well done.

I preferred the Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941).

Where is Stewie? He's normally very vocal here against all thing superhero!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Quote:
But not very well done.

I agree, not very well done.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Although League had some interesting bits to it, I did like Connery and his character, it was a flop.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Faulffer
IndyFan

I hope Indiana Jones can stay as far away from super heroes as possible. I'd hate to see Indy on a quest and in the middle of a fight with em Germans have Wolverine or Hulk showing up and join the fray. Please no.
Faulffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulffer
I hope Indiana Jones can stay as far away from super heroes as possible. I'd hate to see Indy on a quest and in the middle of a fight with em Germans have Wolverine or Hulk showing up and join the fray. Please no.

Wolverine and the Hulk are not in the same timeline as the Nazis. Not gonna happen.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Wolverine and the Hulk are not in the same timeline as the Nazis. Not gonna happen.

Wolverine was.

Quote:
During World War II, Logan teams up with Captain America[31] and continues a career as a soldier-of-fortune/adventurer. He then serves with the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion[32] during D-Day, and the CIA, before being recruited by Team X, a black ops unit.

31. Wolverine: Origins #16-20

32. Wolverine (vol. 2) #34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

And he bore a passing resemblance to somebody.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Quote:
Wolverine was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

And he bore a passing resemblance to somebody.

That's awesome! Yes, but he wasn't the Wolverine yet I believe.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
That's awesome! Yes, but he wasn't the Wolverine yet I believe.

Yes, he was still calling himself Logan at that time.

Here's a file on his wartime activities:

http://www.wolverinefiles.com/009-world-war-ii/
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Speaking of Wolverine -- just rewatched X-Men 2, the one with the "Cure."

First time I watched it, I thought (spoiler alert), why did Wolverine kil Jean Grey at the end? Why didn't she just hang out with the kid who sapped powers? Or take the cure? Her death seemed needless. I wondered if the next day Logan would go, "Dang, I just thought of something..."

And when I just rewatched it, I wondered what would have happened to Logan if he got hit with a Cure bullet, or stood next to the power-sapper kid. The Cure wouldn't take away his adamantium skeleton, just his ability to heal. So would he just up and die with all that foreign metal in him? Would he still have the spikes? He'd probably die the first time they came out.

Just a few thoughts...

(still wondering where Stoo is....)
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Gerry2001
IndyFan

Here's an interesting Marvel Comics cover. That's a sorcerer in the background.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Here's an interesting Marvel Comics cover. That's a sorcerer in the background.

I have most of those comics in hard copy, and all of them on disc. The stories vary quite wildly in style from the very Indyesque to the more superhero oriented.

The cover of #33 looks like a mix of Indy, superhero and Conan.

When the stories diverted too far from the familiar they didn't seem right.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Stooo, It's Gerry, yes me. I know you're in here somewhere, too bad we missed each other when you were in Kingston, next time!
Gerry! Got back to the Switz a week ago. Yeah, too bad about Kingston. While there, Anna bought me a Mac for my birthday. We were also up in St. Sauveur at a HUGE party for her sister-in-law. Sauveur still had snow but Montreal was clear. Went out with Shawn and BBQed a lot. Simon is now staying at our place for a couple of months, he just got back from Hong Kong & Dubai.

Wish I had been in Toronto 2 weeks ago. Prince Philip showing up to give the Royal Canadian Regiment their new flag, all decked out in scarlet tunics & spiked pith helmets. Saw in on TV. Did the parade go near your place? Had I known about it beforehand, I would've gone and we could've hung out! What a missed opportunity!

There is a "Beatles in Montreal" exhibit at the Pointe-à-Callière museum. I'll be back in July so come with Lynn and let's go check it out!
Quote:
Gerry & I don't need Skype anymore now that we have The Raven!
Quote:
My pal & I both have the stones to tolerate humility but this is not one of those times. Even though this Cpt. America connection has been mentioned before, no thread has been dedicated to it so if you ever decide to close this one then you might as well close/combine all of the other "reboot" () threads.
Quote:
As for your idea, Gerr, I would severely HATE any Disney crossover of Indy with Marvel superheroes (for so many reasons). The ONLY thing I could ever possibly accept would be an ambigiuous reference to a "Captain Rogers". Anything more than that would make me puke.

If the 2 characters DID appear in a film together, here's what I'd hope to see:

Indiana Jones: What's the deal, Steve?
Captain America: Shhh! I'm in disguise so don't use my real name. The deal about what?
Indiana Jones: Your clothes. They're...they're...
Captain America: They're what?
Indiana Jones: Well...you look like a fool. You're wearing red boots & feathers.
Captain America: So?
Indiana Jones: Look, who cares...just don't linger too close behind me. Stay out in front.
Quote:
Joe Johnson directed Capt. America and worked on Raiders so, more than a coincidence here. He would be great to direct a 5th one or a reboot, that is if Spielberg is not up to it. Since Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm maybe they are planning to make some kind of Capt. America Indy crossover, ha. Far fetched but hey, you never know. What do you think?
Funny that you bring up Joe. Gerry & I are both fans of Joe Johnston's technical illustrations and, even though I wouldn't like anyone other than Spielberg directing an Indy movie, I wouldn't be against Joe taking the reins.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote