Indiana Jones and the Movie References

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
We all know that Indiana Jones is based on the old saturday matinee serials and movies. There's a reference to "Citizen Kane" at the end of the film but there are more!
There's even a reference to "The Maltese Falcon" in the Last Crusade and Infernal Machine adventure games.
In the Last Crusade they refer to John Ford's westerns (see beginning of film) and in Young Indy's Adventures the old Indy looks exactly like the older John Ford himself.

Who knows more of these references? Let's throw them all on the table!

D

duknewyork

Well, I'm not sure about this, but I think that there is some reference to the Bible in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I can't remeber where I heard this exactly, but I think its true.

Indy Canuck

"Fate" reference

I know there's a reference to "The Maltese Faclon" in the game "Fate of Atlantis".

In Omar's house you can pick up a black bird statue, which Indy'll claim "it's the stuff dreams are made of!" when he looks at it.

C

Crusader

Falcon in Last Crusade game as well

A similar falcon can be seen in Indy's office. in Last Crusade the graphic adventure. The "what-is" describes it as a : "thousand-year-old falcon". Thousand years as in "millenium" ;-) However, it looks much like the one in Atlantis, and of cours elike the actual "Maltese Falcon"

In my opinion, though, the best references are the ones to the Indy films themselves! The famous swordfighters/empty holster scene in Temple of Doom as a reference to Raiders (accompanied by a brief rendition of the Basket Game, actual score of the Raiders scene) and the Ark inscription in the catacombs, in Last Crusade, also under the presence of the Ark Theme.

...P.S. Now, this is not a reference to an actual film, but the motorcycle duel between Indy/Henry's tricycle and the German biker, especially at the scene where Indy grabs a flag post and uses it against him, is much like an actual knights' joust! Almost every classical film with a medieval setting, contains a joust scene...

Col. Musgrove

What about ALL the Star Wars references?

The letters on Jock's plane, OB-CPO, refer to Obi-Wan Kenobi & C-3PO. 3PO and R2-D2 are on the walls of the Well of the Souls. The night club in Temple of Doom is Club Obi Wan, in blue neon letters like Obi-Wan's lightsaber. I've never seen it, but I've heard about 2-1B, the Rebel Alliance's medical droid who gives Luke a fake hand, is seen in the warehouse gunfight in Mystery of the Blues. Michael Sheard, the German sub commander and Hitler, plays Admiral Ozzel in Empire. Julian Glover who plays Donovan is also plays General Veers in Empire. Harrison Ford plays somebody or other in both of those series.

Can anybody think of any other Star Wars references I forgot?

Jawad M

Chicken Run Indiana Jones

If you have seen Chicken Run, you will see two Indiana Jones references in the film. Both of these references the main character Ginger is shown as Indiana Jones. The film comes to Video and DVD on November 21st. So if you haven't seen it do check it out.

Jawad

QueZTone

sure here's another...

a great scene (prolly one of the funniest) of the Simpsons where Bart acts like a real jones trying to get money from Homer's room...you have to have seen this one! Great when the garage door closes and the Raiders March is thrown into play in its full glory! Wonderful, almost as good as Indy swinging a vine and then dropping in the water :D

tall square

In the Fate of Atlantis, if you make Indy look at the things on the shelf in his office, one of the things he says references another Harrison Ford movie, Regarding Henry.

Indyz Azn Gurl

Betta not laugh at me...

But I came from school, walking in the rain, and I was wet, and exhausted.

So, I dried myself off and changed I plopped on the couch and just rested for a while.

Ok, and my brother watches "Pokémon" and I heard a LC reference, that woke me up.

The lead character I think he's name is "Ash" or something, he told them villians Team whatever "That belongs in a museum!" and he pointed to some weird trophy.

tall square

There is also a big reference to Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the Infernal Machine, but we've already discussed this, I think.

GWRedwall

For some reason I can't edit my post...

But can someone tell me what the references in Chicken Run are? That movie is so funny.. but I haven't noticed the references...

DutchIndy

The Big Boulder scene in Raiders was "borrowed" of a "Daonald Duck" cartoon. Some time later (after Raiders) it was used again in "Ducktales".
There are many tv-series, games and movies that used Indy stuff. In "Monkey Island" Guybrush says: It belongs in a museum. And in Infernal Machines, you can play as guybrush. (F10 makemeapirate). These are only lucas ref's, but there are many, many, many more!
In "Bobby's World", there are some episodes that Bobby dreams of being Indy.
Anyway, there are mucho ref's!

-Dutch

Sacred Goor

I may be wrong about this, but in TOD, Indy's entrance in the Club Ob-Wan is a dead ringer for Bogart's first appearance as Rick in Casablanca.

Hand in pocket, walks down stairs, white tux etc.?

Any ideas?

Cheers

tall square

I was just watching this commercial for some auto repair company (Midas, perhaps), and this repairman climbs under a moving car to check out the bottom. The way he does it looks a lot like Indy in Raiders.

Indyz Azn Gurl

Another Pukémon Indy reference...

:rolleyes:
Ya'll probably seen this but...

Remember that dumb new Pukémon game??

Well, there was that guy dressed exactly like Indy.

But they made Indiana Jones looks dumb when he told the other guys "just help me push" but it said to "pull". :p

tall square

Just watched Patriot Games...

and noticed that in a couple of scenes (the hospital and the pub), a man with a fedora is standing next to Jack Ryan (Harrison). I figured it had to be an Indy reference.

Harrison trivia from the same movie: Right before Jack Ryan is assaulted on the street (the scene before his wife's car is crashed), the first scene where you see him walking he is in front of a street sign that says Hanover St. (Hanover Street was an early HF film)

westford

In "Sam and Max Hit the Road" Sam steals the short guy's wig in a somewhat Indy-esque fashion.
And has anyone seen the guy dressed as Indy in the Phantom Menace? He's supposedly in the race crowd, but I've never spotted him.