How do I get back into Indy?

LostArk

vf wing said:
Immersion in the TV show has kept my interest high lately. Being a new convert to it, it's all still very new to me. I'm on my second pass thru the entire collection and my appreciation for it is really just beginning!
But what happens when you already watched it all?

Also, I'll rewatch ROTLA and I'll come back and write a full report.

Indyologist

"Tense" is the name of the game around here-- we're in a fictional bar, remember?
** Interrupted by the sound of a glass breaking-- a female Indy fan storms suddenly out of the bar, into the snowy eternal night **

(shrugs) See what I mean?

vf wing

LostArk said:
But what happens when you already watched it all?

Watch 'em again!!

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I watch and re-watch my dvds pretty regularly. On my first go-thru with the tv show, it was mainly just to physically get thru each disc to make sure I didn't have any defects. Only now am I beginning to really grasp what's happening.

Eventually, I'll develop preferences for certain episodes. Right now, it's the War Years set that has my greatest admiration. The first five telefilms on it are all utterly outstanding, surpassing the theatrical films themselves in terms of philosophical depth. Not to mention all the thunderous belly laughs I get out of some of the situations and character bits. I say the first five because that's as far as I've gotten on the second go round.

I still watch my MASH collections religiously too, even tho I can recite lots of the dialogue right along with the characters. Every time I pop in an episode it's like visiting old friends. I look forward to Young Indy sharing that same kind of familiarity in years to come!

LostArk

Actually, I still had the last five to watch. I kinda lost interest after the ridiculous Maks of Evil episode (the one where they're in a haunted mansion, one big contradiction to previously established facts in Raiders). I'll try to get those episodes, and hopefully it will jog my nostalgia and I'll be able to finish them. Also, I started to gain interest in WWI after we started seeing it in school, so I don't think a rewatch of earlier war episodes would hurt!

And I've decided to watch Temple of Doom instead of Raiders first. Not because of the chronological order, but because I always thought it was such an underrated movie in the series, and I rank it up there with ROTLA.

vf wing

I was kinda out on Masks of Evil my first time too, but I'm looking forward to watching it again.

What was the contradiction with Raiders?

metalinvader

LostArk said:
Actually, I still had the last five to watch. I kinda lost interest after the ridiculous Maks of Evil episode (the one where they're in a haunted mansion, one big contradiction to previously established facts in Raiders)

No more then Temple of Doom did.

brookystreet

Hard to say since I've only been a fan for around a year.

I'd reccomend a few 'Indy free' weeks before a marathon of the films, then post back here to say what you thought of them ;)

StoneTriple

Nurhachi1991 said:
... people that have followed Indy since 1981 to 2009 now that is a true fan.

I've followed Indy since 1981, but that doesn't make me any more of a true fan than the other people here. It just means I've been a fan longer - because I'm older. Time-in has nothing to do with what level of fan someone is. Same goes for the people who base their level of fandom on their collection of stuff.

The idea of the character either moves you or it doesn't - that's what makes someone a fan. Not time-in, not collection size, not post count, not anything else.

There's a kid on this board who became a fan after seeing Kingdom. The same thing happened to him in 2008 that happened to me in 1981 - the character moved him.

You get here whenever you get here.

LostArk,
As for your lull in enthusiasm; Nothing at all wrong with taking a break for a while - or moving on, for that matter. Life's a hell of a lot bigger than a movie. If the character moves you again, great. If it doesn't, something else will.

I'm a long-time Indiana Jones fan. For 28 years, I’ve listened to the music, watched the films, and read the novels. Even silkscreened my own Raiders shirts in 1981.
However - all of it pales in comparison to the amount of my life that has been devoted to- in fact, consumed with - riding motorcycles.

Indiana Jones isn't the be-all, end-all.

Don't sweat it, man.