Indy 5 news 2018

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
Obviously they won't, but I'm simply trying to argue my case that Indy won't make a billion. I also really can't see the series making it to a sixth part. Spielberg suggested turning Indy female but we (and Disney) have already seen the backlash to the female Ghostbusters film and the female Doctor Who.

Even if you don't go the risky female Indiana Jones route, I really don't think there's much demand for Indiana Jones in general - Harrison, no Harrison, new actor or not.

I also think people here overestimate Harrison Ford's star power. The only reason TFA did so well wasn't because of Harrison but the possibility of seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie etc again....I think Harrison these days, on his own, is a box office dud. When was the last time he had a real hit on his own merits?

I just think they're making a product with very little demand for it.

Indiana Jones isn’t a Star Wars or MCU.... but that doesn’t mean it’s not a massively successful franchise. Do you realize how many films and film series would LOVE to be as big as Indiana Jones? Disney just did Pirates 5 which made as much as Indy 4 made and got WAY lower reviews. That’s just an example.
Indiana Jones is a huge films series, it just hasn’t pumped out film after film like most franchises. And that’s ok, it goes at the pace of its star and creator.

It’s certainly more in demand than the DCEU, and those keep getting pumped out like candy.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Indiana Jones isn?t a Star Wars or MCU.... but that doesn?t mean it?s not a massively successful franchise. Do you realize how many films and film series would LOVE to be as big as Indiana Jones? Disney just did Pirates 5 which made as much as Indy 4 made and got WAY lower reviews. That?s just an example.
Indiana Jones is a huge films series, it just hasn?t pumped out film after film like most franchises. And that?s ok, it goes at the pace of its star and creator.

It?s certainly more in demand than the DCEU, and those keep getting pumped out like candy.

But with the Pirates comparison -
Pirates has had a continuous presence in pop culture since 2003. It stars Johnny Depp who I would argue has, at this point, especially among the 18-34 year old crowd, more star power than Harrison Ford. It's been continually present in pop culture for 15 years; Millenials and now Generation Z have experienced it. It's nostalgic to younger people in that sense, which helps to draw in seats.

Indy on the other hand...KOTCS was compared to the prequels. It did very well but how much of that was 19 years worth of hype, anticipation, desire and nostalgia? It's hard to be measured.

And like I said earlier, in terms of brand presence, Indy has had no presence since 2008. Nothing to keep the series in the public eye or to keep it relevant with younger people. What does Generation Z know of Indiana Jones, really? What about younger Millenials?

What's the 'catch' of seeing a new Indy movie?

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.

It's hard to know where to begin with this post. It's one insane assertion after another.

OldIndy2323

well, back to the Indy V news, in the interview where Speilberg says Indy will continue to a sixth movie, he also says it could be continued with a female lead. So, again, I'm going back to my stance that Indy's going to have an equal African-American female partner for this outing who will take over when he "retires" at the end of the movie (they won't kill off Harrison Ford again in another Disney movie)

Udvarnoky

But that leaves you with a character who lives in the 60s. The only reason we are out of the 30s is to accommodate Ford's age. With him gone, surely Disney would want to bring the franchise back to the era it actually belongs in.

The only thing I can think of is there could be a flashback set in the 30s, and the new franchise lead is introduced that way. But I am against the idea of setting up the reboot in Indy 5. Let the reboot stand or fall on its own once it actually happens. Indy 5 should be about Ford's last adventure, full stop.

OldIndy2323

Although, if we skip the whole re-boot idea and focus on the "formula" and moving forward, the newly introduced female lead could have adventures in the late 60's and early 70's; kinda like a "proto-Lara Croft". Old Indy can be kept around to make "Brody-esque" appearances in later movies. And the soundtracks would sell like hotcakes! Disney can roll all of its successful ideas into one new franchise.

Udvarnoky

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I doubt it's what Disney had in mind when they bought the property. Of course, my position is that they should eschew the reboot altogether and make an animated series.

Randy_Flagg

Udvarnoky said:
I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I doubt it's what Disney had in mind when they bought the property. Of course, my position is that they should eschew the reboot altogether and make an animated series.
I'd much prefer a live-action reboot set in the late 1920s. Cartoons just don't do it for me anymore (though, considering that I'm in my early 40s now, I guess that's to be expected, and I realize I'm probably not the target demographic. Nevertheless, I AM selfish, and I want something I'LL enjoy, so I say they should do the live-action reboot ;) )

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:
Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.

But the budget won't be 250 million. Clearly the budget for KOTCS was mismanaged, but you can still make a great adventure/action film with a 150 million budget.

Usually a film is considered a box office success if it makes twice its budget. Even if it's going to cost 250 million (which is not) it only has to make 500 million to be considered a success.

SPECTRE was made with a 250 million budget and with a 880 million box office is considered a huge success. Indy 5 probably won't make that much but it's also not going to cost that much.

Face_Melt

Udvarnoky said:
But that leaves you with a character who lives in the 60s. The only reason we are out of the 30s is to accommodate Ford's age. With him gone, surely Disney would want to bring the franchise back to the era it actually belongs in.

The only thing I can think of is there could be a flashback set in the 30s, and the new franchise lead is introduced that way. But I am against the idea of setting up the reboot in Indy 5. Let the reboot stand or fall on its own once it actually happens. Indy 5 should be about Ford's last adventure, full stop.

Lucasfilm cares about canon. The Force Awakens was a ?reboot? of the star wars franchise, but it didn?t hit the reset button on continuity. Indy 6 will
Likely Star a new actor but still be canon with Fords films.

Face_Melt

Randy_Flagg said:
I'd much prefer a live-action reboot set in the late 1920s. Cartoons just don't do it for me anymore (though, considering that I'm in my early 40s now, I guess that's to be expected, and I realize I'm probably not the target demographic. Nevertheless, I AM selfish, and I want something I'LL enjoy, so I say they should do the live-action reboot ;) )

Well it would not be a “cartoon”, it would be a 3D animated series like The Clone Wars or Rebels most likely.

micsteam

Making Indiana Jones a woman is just stupid, it's like putting it out there to satisfy a point of view or an argument. Let's make Tomb Raider with a male instead of a female, there you go ... stupid. Just create a strong female action/archaeologist character... why would you try to change an existing substantiated character into another gender ?? I think the Spielberg interview was things said and then taken out of context by the interviewer, IMHO. :hat:

Randy_Flagg

Face_Palm said:
Well it would not be a ?cartoon?, it would be a 3D animated series like The Clone Wars or Rebels most likely.
I always consider those two shows to be cartoons. Maybe my terminology is wrong, but whether we call it a "3D animated series" or a "cartoon," it wouldn't really be something I'd care to see (though, of course, I'd sample a few episodes out of curiosity.)

DARTH ZOIDBERG

OldIndy2323 said:
well, back to the Indy V news, in the interview where Speilberg says Indy will continue to a sixth movie, he also says it could be continued with a female lead. So, again, I'm going back to my stance that Indy's going to have an equal African-American female partner for this outing who will take over when he "retires" at the end of the movie (they won't kill off Harrison Ford again in another Disney movie)
One of My Favorite shows that didn't last that long was Agent Carter! If they make a female Indiana Jones in the vain of Agent Carter I would be fine with it and it could work. But then would a Woman Indiana Jones be considered a Disney Princess? Ultimately Its up to Disney not Spielberg.

Face_Melt

Randy_Flagg said:
I always consider those two shows to be cartoons. Maybe my terminology is wrong, but whether we call it a "3D animated series" or a "cartoon," it wouldn't really be something I'd care to see (though, of course, I'd sample a few episodes out of curiosity.)

No worries. Just for future reference a ?cartoon? is ?A form of 2D hand drawn animation?. Neither of those series are 2D nor hand drawn. Just like you wouldn?t refer to a Pixar film as a cartoon.

But I see what you mean for sure. I hope they stick to live action.

Raiders90

I wouldn't mind seeing a cartoon that showed off Indy's WW2 years. It's a great way to have a lot of adventures, given the serial esque nature of a cartoon, and, if fans wanted and he was willing, Harrison could voice a WW2 era Indy. I think it would be better direction than a reboot or a spinoff.

IndyBuff

Raiders112390 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a cartoon that showed off Indy's WW2 years. It's a great way to have a lot of adventures, given the serial esque nature of a cartoon, and, if fans wanted and he was willing, Harrison could voice a WW2 era Indy. I think it would be better direction than a reboot or a spinoff.

Ford has stated in the past that he's not interested in seeing the series enter into the world of animation. I can see where he's coming from but it would also open up a whole new world of possibilities.