"It?s time to ask yourself what you believe."

Deadlock

During a recent discussion regarding the various merits of each Indy film, the person I was talking to said, ?I can?t decide which is better, Raiders or Last Crusade. I think Raiders is a better movie, but I think I still like Last Crusade more.? I told to her that some people dismissed Last Crusade as a carbon copy of Raiders, and others bashed it for the seemingly farcical treatment of the Jones saga. As the conversation continued, we delved deeper into the ?Jones Formula? (another topic for another day) and the relationship between Raiders and Last Crusade.

Once we?d gotten past the obvious elements (Nazis in the desert, Judeo-Christian artifact, etc.), I came to the conclusion that the philosophical element of Last Crusade was profoundly different than that in Raiders (also another topic for another day).

After mulling it over, here?s what I came up with as the fundamental question in Last Crusade: Is what you believe true?

Just listening to the dialogue throughout the film, the question of belief is presented in those very terms. And if you widen the net to include lines with a few synonyms for ?belief? (?trust? and ?faith?), there are even more references.

?Do you believe, Marcus??

?At my age, I?m prepared to take a few things on faith.?

?I believe in the Grail, not the swastika.?

?It?s time to ask yourself what you believe.?

?You must believe, boy. You must... believe.?

?Elsa never really believed in the Grail.?

?Trust me.? (amusing, becuase this time it's said by Jones Sr.)

Besides the most obvious manifestation (the Grail itself) Last Crusade is full of moments requiring choice based upon belief. At several junctures, there are two options presented. The character in that moment is given the choice to believe one of them to be true and to act upon this belief. Each of these moments requires a ?leap of faith,? some explicit and some implicit. (The obvious culmination of this theme comes when Indy steps out into the chasm and in the choice of Grails.) Following that leap of faith, we see this in a moment of truth that makes the answer clear.

One example of an implicit decision is found in both Joneses trusting Donovan. Both father and son are somewhat surprised that their employer is really a bad guy. This revelation immediately follows a much more explicit decision and surprising moment of truth, as Elsa reveals her true allegiances. In this scene, Indy is presented with two options: believe his father or the pretty girl. To me, this scene foreshadows the later Grail choice scene. In both scenes, there is a seemingly life and death consequences, and a bystander offering advice. In one case, the bystander offers the truth, and in the second a lie. One of the most visual moments of choice is at the crossroads scene following the motorcycle chase. Here, Indy is given the choice of following the ?easy? road or the ?hard road." Perhaps, he remembered the recent mistake of ignoring his father?s advice regarding Elsa. In this scene, the consequences of Indy?s choice aren?t immediate or as readily apparent as others. However, because he chose the way he did, he was prepared to face ?the final challenge.? Had he taken the easy road? Who can say what would have happened to our intrepid hero? One of more implicit choices and moments of revelation happen aboard the Zeppelin. Here we are presented with two conflicting accounts of Indy?s childhood. I believe that this was a moment of truth for Jones Sr. (eventually culminated in the post-tank-crash reunion). Finally, Elsa echoes Donovan?s mistake by choosing incorrectly when presented with the choice of following the knight?s warning or not. Once again, another profound moment as Indy nearly repeats her mistake, but is called back and saved by listening to his father.

Though I won?t outline my ideas on the philosophy of Raiders, I will say that Last Crusade is much more ?black and white? than Raiders is. That point notwithstanding, in Last Crusade we see Indiana Jones not as a white knight who has all the right answers but very much as the ?grey? character struggling through each decision. Taking this viewpoint and applying it to real life could make any number of different aims. (And to those not of a religious persuasion, I doubt that some of the more obvious extrapolations would be very palatable.) Regardless, I think that is important to note that Last Crusade is a strong challenge to a relativistic world. The choice we make have consequences. Be careful who you trust and listen to. There is true and false, right and wrong. (Just ask Walter Donovan? :) )

Last edited:

Tennessee R

Bravo, Deadlock.

Well done. Very well done indeed.

And to those that are Christians, I think that Last Crusade has an even deeper meaning. Not just because of a religious artifact, (I'm not Catholic), but such as Indiana taking Henry's reprimand about blasphemy, etc.

I guess that you just summed up the hidden reason I like LC so much. ;)

Pharaoh

Seriously Deadlock you should write movie scripts. :whip: You have expressed the reason why I love Last Crusade so much. ;)

I wish you were writing Indy 4 then we would be guarantied of getting a quality story. :D

C

Cant Spel

Doom = too silly

Crusade = too boring

Just my personal take on it. ;)

Conversely, I think Raiders is just about as good as a movie gets.

C

Cant Spel

Seriously though, I didn't like TLC better then Raiders because Raiders, to me, was more exciting. I was just sucked in right away. There are some sequences in Raiders that can't be duplicated such as the

1. Sword scene. That is classic.
2. The Truck sequence. The tank fight came close but could not beat it.
3. Indy falling asleep while making out.

TLC was very good and funny, but a little too funny. But it does come close to Raiders, and I found out that a lot of people like TLC the best. So you're not on your own there.

theinfiniteweird

Each ,ovie has a seeminlgy different Indy. In raiders, it's balls to the walls and nothing else. In Doom, he tries some reasoning but esp. at the end it turns into balls to the walls again. LC is mostly reasoning.

Anyone understand what I'm saying? Do whatever you have to vs. do what seems most logical (logical in all aspects). ToD was a little of both.

But yes, I agree deadlock.

TombReader

I have to admit that TLC is probably my least favorite of the three,but you have made some truly excellent points.I totally agree with you,Deadlock.

Deadlock

Thanks for the responses.

I know that whether you like a movie or not is a mostly (or entirely) a subjective exercise... so this wasn't meant to be a thesis on "why you should love Last Crusade." Personally, I often find myself drawn to stories that I find stimulating on a philosophical level. Because Last Crusade has always had a place in my heart, I figured I'd try to get a handle on why that might be...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Some very deep thoughts there. Well written, Deadlock.

I will also like to add that one of the biggest complaints against LC (slapstick) is also its saving grace (so to speak). Without that humor, the "heaviness" of the film (which Deadlock put to text so well) would be frightfully overbearing.

Neolithic

Deadlock, are you saying you think that Last Crusade is a moral tale?

I think it's the only Indy film where evil is mentioned- is that correct?

Deadlock

Neolithic said:
Deadlock, are you saying you think that Last Crusade is a moral tale?

I think it's the only Indy film where evil is mentioned- is that correct?

In a word, "yes"; but let me elaborate. First, I think that all of the Indy movies have a moral aspect at one level or another. Though I was writing about Last Crusade at the moment, one of my favorite "moral moments" is in Temple of Doom.

Indy has just taken the Sankara Stones and is on his way out when he hears the sound of a whip and children screaming. Notice the look on his face. THAT is moral conflict, folks.

To me, morality that is compelling isn't about preaching or some goody-goody effortlessly choosing the good in contrived and simplistic situations. The conflicted main character struggling with his conscience seems both more interesting and realistic. I refrain from canonizing "St. Indiana Jones" because he's not an angel. If he was, he'd lose his charm. :) But the odd thing about Indy is that though he inhabits the grey area between good and evil (grave robber or archaeologist?), he chooses the right thing only when the stakes are high. (If he were a saint, I suppose that'd make him the patron saint of desperate situations.)

Neolithic

Hey, Deadlock thanks for sharing your thoughts, I really enjoyed reading what you're suggesting on the underlying currents in these films.

But the odd thing about Indy is that though he inhabits the grey area between good and evil

Don't we all? :)

One thing Deadlock, i may be from a different country, i may be of a different age, culture, sex?? or whatever but u just discovered why LC is my favourite movie.

I just love your post and u hit the bullseye, cuz it doesnt matter that you are religious or not (i am so i have it easier :p ), what matters is that u live by what u believe in.

Great post man

Sparrow

Very nice insight, Deadlock. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the undercurrents of these films - especially TLC. At the moment, I'm having a hard time chosing ROTLA or TLC as my favorite, but I think your post just won the spot over to Crusade.

Very well said!