Connecting Young Indy to Movie Indy

The_Minority

hello, all!

I am a big Indiana Jones fan and I absolutely love young indiana jones! I wish they could have continued to see his further adventures of him growing up and exactly how he becomes the man we all know him to be! That got me thinking, I have seen every episode of the YIJC reedited movies and I thought it would be fun to see what connections from the YIJC chapters make Indy the man he is in the Indiana Jones Movies! I can think of a few already:

While being a Soldier in the Beligian army, Indy and the rest of the soldiers were issued Ration packs. Now these packs are the exact same bag he later carries on all of his adventures. I know that the MKVII bag was not created until WW2 but if you watch the movie, Trenches of hell it is clearly the same bag. So I like to think that Indy kept onto his war gear and later found a good use for that patrticular bag.

While Indiana Jones was a spy for the secret service he went undercover many times. In many instances Indy would use a fake accent, often over the top, to trick his enemies. Obviously Indy uses this same tactic in TLC when he infiltrates the castle in which his father is being held.

Young Indy also had many girlfriends during his teen years. And with everyone of them he quickly fell in love with. But usually each one of these ends in trajedy or heartbreak for Indy. Maybe that is why he is so, whats the word, stand offish with love in the future movies. He cares, but he never really loves any of his future would-be girlfriends (Marion, Willie, Elsa).

Thats all I can really think of right now. I hope see what connections you see! :D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, it would be great. Even better if they did some stuff with him, Abner and Marion. :whip:

roundshort

Violet Indy said:
Yeah, it would be great. Even better if they did some stuff with him, Abner and Marion. :whip:

I always thought that Young Indy would be better if they had stuff with Abner

fortuneandglory

Man, that would have been awesome. I thought they were still interesting though... The treasure of the Peacocks eye is the only one I own, but if they come out with it on DVD i'm scooping that up right away. The peacocks eye treasure was that diamond in TOD by the way.

Indy was a motorcycle messenger during the war, and he rides the hack in LC.

I haven't seen too many of the Young Indy shows. I don't think I've ever seen any of the ones with the eight year old Indy at all. I can't wait for the DVDs to come out.

The_Minority

those are great! never picked up on the motorcycle one before! And speaking of Young Indy with Abner, there was actually an episode planned to have 10 year old indy meet abner on a dig in Jerusalem, with abner looking for the Lost ark. This was supposed to tie in later when Indy went to the university of chicago and was going to be studying under Abner. As far the relationship with Marion goes though I don't think they could have fit it into the show. because if memory serves me correctly Indy was 26 or 27 and Marion was only 16 when they had their love affair. But that still would have been awesome to see.

another planned episode for the third season was to have Indy start going on Digs all over the world and one of these episodes had Indy meeting and befriending a young Belloq. Belloq was supposed to steal a crystal skull and sell it on the black market in the episode. And another episode with Belloq had them both meeting Charles Fawcett in search of a lost city. Surely these episodes were going to show the rivalry/hate relationship between these two. If only the show had continued!!!!

Also in the "Winds of Change" movie Indy finally returns home to his Father's house after the war and they have their big falling out! They argue as Indy gets his feelings known, and Henry Sr. is hurt and leaves the room. Near the end of the movie Indy is leaving for Chicago and his father Finally appologizes for not talking to him more. And hugs him. But when he finds out Indy is going to University of Chicago and Not princeton he goes cold instantly and tells him to shut the door on the way out. This whole episode just makes the entire segment of when Henry Sr. thinks Indy is dead, from falling over the cliff, much more powerful then it already is. Great stuff! Keep em coming!

I would have liked to see more Belloq. I would say that his war years changed him, from what I've seen before he went to Europe he didn't do much with guns, he seemed to shy away from them during his time in Mexico. After the war though he doesn't have a problem killing someone. Take the Cairo swordsman, Indy just out right shoots him, doesn't even worry about it for a second. Indy doesn't just kill to kill though so he's not crazy, but killing doesn't phase him either.

Ray Delark

Young Indy considers what life will be like in the 1950's
Powder1.jpg

Twilightpro101

Violet Indy said:

I agree with that wholeheartly. That's a dynamic that needs to be explored with young Indy. I've seen one fan film with it, but that's it.

It tempts me to go back to my fan fic roots and explore it further.

Grizzlor

This might be just a rumor, but supposedly George Lucas had prepared 70 different stories for the series, which would span the life of Indy right up until the Harrison Ford movies. The writers hired for the show used each for the basis of their episode. Obviously, just more than 30 stories were produced from the series. Rumored to be next in line, but not made, were stories introduced Abner Ravenwood and Henry Belouc. Lucas hasn't made those available has he?

misnomer

honestly....I am a huge fan of the movies, but the television show was pretty awful. Don't want to step onto anyone's toes, but theres quite a few like me who have hardly even heard of the tv series.

I really doubt the movie will bother trying to connect to the tv series. Whilst I think it's likely Indy may have a daughter in the new movie, I don't hink it'sa definate. If the beards think a son is better...or no mention just don't be too suprised.

Grizzlor

That was due to Lucas's choice in the style of the show. He wanted some kind of historical education and documentary/mystery show, almost like an old Sherlock Holmes, not a big adventure show. I think his mistake was that the show was far too serious and dull, and the character choices were poor. I point to a show like Hercules (Kevin Sorbo), which was a mythical show that scored points with comedy, in order to lessen the amount of action required. Indy rarely had the same friends tagging along, and the show was almost nothing like the movies. That was the downfall, because as soon as people realized this was not Indiana Jones as in the theaters, they changed the channel. The ratings bombed within a month.

The_Minority

just out of curiousity how many of the episodes or re-edited tv movies have you all seen? Beause I see alot of people stopped watching the show after only 3 or 4 episodes. And don't even give the show a chance. I mean if you don't like the show thats fine, I mean if you wanted a "artifact of the week" type show then thats your right. I thought the show worked out great and the continuity of it flowed so well it fits perfectly into the movies, reason I started this thread. And if the show had continued we would have seen the younger belloq and abner and marion and such. It's just too bad it never reached that time.

Oh, and I have seen every episode of the series and own both the TV show episodes and the re-edited 22 movies of the series. So I have seen every minute of the show. Sad I know.

Benudo

The_Minority said:
just out of curiousity how many of the episodes or re-edited tv movies have you all seen?

Phantom Train of Doom
Oganga
Attack of the Hawkmen
Adventures in the Secret Service
Mystery of the Blues

Maybe Trenches of Hell and others, but none since the show was on. I love them all, and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I've never understood the objections to the show on the basis that there's some educational value to it, or that it's too unlike the movies. They stand up well in their own right--well-produced and very entertaining. :cool:

Twilightpro101

The_Minority said:
those are great! never picked up on the motorcycle one before! And speaking of Young Indy with Abner, there was actually an episode planned to have 10 year old indy meet abner on a dig in Jerusalem, with abner looking for the Lost ark. This was supposed to tie in later when Indy went to the university of chicago and was going to be studying under Abner. As far the relationship with Marion goes though I don't think they could have fit it into the show. because if memory serves me correctly Indy was 26 or 27 and Marion was only 16 when they had their love affair. But that still would have been awesome to see.

another planned episode for the third season was to have Indy start going on Digs all over the world and one of these episodes had Indy meeting and befriending a young Belloq. Belloq was supposed to steal a crystal skull and sell it on the black market in the episode. And another episode with Belloq had them both meeting Charles Fawcett in search of a lost city. Surely these episodes were going to show the rivalry/hate relationship between these two. If only the show had continued!!!!

Also in the "Winds of Change" movie Indy finally returns home to his Father's house after the war and they have their big falling out! They argue as Indy gets his feelings known, and Henry Sr. is hurt and leaves the room. Near the end of the movie Indy is leaving for Chicago and his father Finally appologizes for not talking to him more. And hugs him. But when he finds out Indy is going to University of Chicago and Not princeton he goes cold instantly and tells him to shut the door on the way out. This whole episode just makes the entire segment of when Henry Sr. thinks Indy is dead, from falling over the cliff, much more powerful then it already is. Great stuff! Keep em coming!

One of the reasons I always loved this show.