The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
By coincidence, it's been exactly 5 months since Part 6 and the plan was to continue with #7 but,
as Flannery10 suggested, I jumped forward to the Transylvania bookends in proper, Hallowe'en spirit.:eek:

This was made from the dubbed, Austrian version (no subtitles) and the Dutch version (with subtitles).
Unless Transylvania aired in Australia, a clean, English version seems to have never aired. So for now,
this is as close as it gets. Enjoy.:)

SEE! Old Indy face-to-face with a gang of snotty, trick-or-treaters!
HEAR! Wild tales of the supernatural!
AMAZE! At the goofiest of Old Indy's adventures!

The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 12

As far as I know, Stoo, the original "Masks of Evil" episodes may have been aired in Australia with the bookends. I don't own a copy.... but I do vaguely remember seeing the Young Indy parts of the episode years ago (we're talking when I was like 5). Matinee might know better than I do. However, I don't remember the bookends and when I did watch it on tv, I was watching it from the part where Molly gets shot. Don't ask how I can remember that, I just do!

metalinvader

Ha! The goofiest of Old Indy's adventures surely is an understatment.Nice to know that Indy has the children's nutrition in mind by passing out rotting apples!

It's nice to see a rare treat like this unearthed.Thanks alot,Stoo!

DIrishB

Awesome. Never had seen this before (along with some of the other Old Indy bookends). Thanks for posting it, Stoo. Eagerly awaiting the remaining Old Indy Chronicles!

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
Where did u get the audio from though if not the original episode?
The audio is from the Dutch version. (I should have written "English version w/Dutch subtitles")
Did you like the dripping blood that I added to the title?
Violet Indy said:
As far as I know, Stoo, the original "Masks of Evil" episodes may have been aired in Australia with the bookends. I don't own a copy.... but I do vaguely remember seeing the Young Indy parts of the episode years ago (we're talking when I was like 5). Matinee might know better than I do.
But Matinee don't post no more...:( If it was shown, then I guess the Aussie censors are not as strict as the UK's.
metalinvader said:
Ha! The goofiest of Old Indy's adventures surely is an understatment.Nice to know that Indy has the children's nutrition in mind by passing out rotting apples!
Heh. The rotten apples are a further testament to his senility.:p (Although he's quick and discreet about getting the blood & fangs on!)
DIrishB said:
Awesome. Never had seen this before (along with some of the other Old Indy bookends).
Yes, this is a rare one. I, myself, only saw it 10 months ago for the 1st time as it had been sitting on an untransferred PAL tape for 12 years!:eek:
Glad y'all enjoyed it. Now, it's back to Part 7...

Flannery10

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, Stoo.

Even though it's a little off-topic, I'm pretty sure all the episodes, except the last 4 TV movies (Follies, Peacock, Hawkmen and Travels) were aired in Germany. Interestingly enough, they never synchronized the 12 re-edits that were NOT released on VHS in 1999, and don't want to synchronize them now. Therefore there probably won't be a Young Indiana Jones DVD release in Germany, expect they decide to release the originals there one day;) .

It's probably due to the lacking interest, though. I mean if the series would have been a huge hit, the 3 volumes would be standing on the German DVD Shelves already. Lucas financed most of the DVDs by himself :hat: (something we should always remember when bashing him for not releasing the originals) but I doubt that there will be someone as generous in Germany.

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Did you like the dripping blood that I added to the title?

:D

Dripping blood = Awesome!

If it was shown, then I guess the Aussie censors are not as strict as the UK's.

What was censored? I didn't think there was anything in the Young Indy Chronicles that might've required censorship. Or am I completely mis-interpresting what you're saying?

Yes, this is a rare one. I, myself, only saw it 10 months ago for the 1st time as it had been sitting on an untransferred PAL tape for 12 years!:eek:
Glad y'all enjoyed it. Now, it's back to Part 7...

Can't wait! Been loving these...not only are they a part of the Indy universe thats no longer available ANYWHERE else, but they're a nice little piece of Americana in their own right. Reminds me of being a kid and occasionally watching these on TV. Good times, good times.

Flannery10

DIrishB said:
What was censored? I didn't think there was anything in the Young Indy Chronicles that might've required censorship. Or am I completely mis-interpresting what you're saying?

No, you're not misinterpreting anything but there have been censored scenes. As for Transylvania, it didn't matter in the end, because it was never aired in the United States, but some of the bloody scenes probably wouldn't have made it in a prime time TV Show (remember, that was back in 1993). The Mata Hari episode by the way was censored, too. I think some of the sex scenes and one of the pictures of nude women were taken out, but you might wanna wait for Stoo's answer on that. He definetely knows more about that than me.

And I really liked the blood dropping from the opening titles. Sorry for not answering that question the first time.

DIrishB

Flannery10 said:
No, you're not misinterpreting anything but there have been censored scenes. As for Transylvania, it didn't matter in the end, because it was never aired in the United States, but some of the bloody scenes probably wouldn't have made it in a prime time TV Show (remember, that was back in 1993). The Mata Hari episode by the way was censored, too. I think some of the sex scenes and one of the pictures of nude women were taken out, but you might wanna wait for Stoo's answer on that. He definetely knows more about that than me.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean. I thought they were referring only to the Old Indy bookends, hence the confusion...Old Indy didn't seem like he was doing too much fighting or sleeping around at that point. So yeah, I just misunderstood, took it slightly out of context.

Appreciate the answer! (y)

And I really liked the blood dropping from the opening titles. Sorry for not answering that question the first time.

It definitely fits.

fommes

Nice edit, Stoo! :)

I think it's interesting how these fragments with Hall now lead a second life as a mini-narrative on their own - which strengthened by the added titles of course. The dripping was indeed a nice touch by the way.
:)

Stoo

DIrishB said:

but they're a nice little piece of Americana in their own right...
In addition to nostalgia for viewers, they're also a time-capsule for good ol' Wilmington, North Carolina (where they were filmed).

Flannery10 got it right but I was under the impression that "Transylvania" was not shown in the UK due to censorship.
Turns out that it was pulled from a 6 PM time-slot in May '94 but shown on some other date at a later hour. Mystery solved.
So, there actually was a straight, English version broadcast of those bookends. I'd still like to hear from Matinee about
Australia, though. (Raven calling Matinee Idyll...Come in, Matinee...)

Incidentally, since we're on the subject, the Austrian version cuts out the blood-letting scene.:dead:

fommes said:
Nice edit, Stoo!
Couldn't have done it without the Dutch broadcast.:D

fommes said:
I think it's interesting how these fragments with Hall now lead a second life as a mini-narrative on their own - which strengthened by the added titles of course. The dripping was indeed a nice touch by the way.
Glad you folks liked the blood. Why not, eh? It's Hallowe'en! One day, I'd loooove to fix the opening logo to read "Old" instead of "Young".
When they're all done, I'm going to render them onto a DVD and make some cover graphics as a gift to true believers.;)

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Glad you folks liked the blood. Why not, eh? It's Hallowe'en! One day, I'd loooove to fix the opening logo to read "Old" instead of "Young".
When they're all done, I'm going to render them onto a DVD and make some cover graphics as a gift to true believers.;)

Guess which bookends you should upload for Thanksgiving! ;)

I really like that idea of the DVD and the cover. As I said in a previous post, I really am very thankful to George Lucas for releasing the DVDs, paying for them pretty much by himself. But still, I miss those George Hall bookends.

DIrishB

Stoo said:
One day, I'd loooove to fix the opening logo to read "Old" instead of "Young".

That'd be excellent. I've been planning on burning them to DVD and making a custom cover for them as well, like I did with my home-made Indiana Jones in the Revenge of the Ancients computer text game...just burned the emulator and rom onto a cd and printed out the original game artwork, etc. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Anyway, I'm definitely going the same route with these Old Indy bookends, once you finish editing them all and posting them.

These really are great.

Stoo

metalinvader said:
That should read True Fans not True Believers!
In actual fact, that sould read TRUE Fans! *LOL*:p
Flannery10 said:
Guess which bookends you should upload for Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving was just this past weekend, so it's too late.:confused: Oh, wait...yeah, that's right...you moved to the States!
Nah, the "Peking" ones will be the very last, at #13. Will they be worth the wait? That's hard to tell...
Flannery10 said:
I really like that idea of the DVD and the cover.
DIrishB said:
That'd be excellent. I've been planning on burning them to DVD and making a custom cover for them as well, like I did with my home-made Indiana Jones in the Revenge of the Ancients
Cool. The title cards for #1 & 2 are going to change and all the clips will, obviously, have a much better resolution than the YouTubages.
Anyone know the source of this photo or where a higher-res image can be found? (Note: one version has the Grail, the other doesn't.)

OldIndy_Class2.jpg
OldIndy_Class3.jpg
OldIndy_Class1.jpg

Stoo

Someone sent me a YouTube message saying he was an extra during the Old Indy hospital scene from "German East Africa, December 1916"!
I'm going to get some more info from him. Anyway, he's really happy to have found the clip so I'm going to send him a DVD. Too cool!:D(y)

That sounds great, maybe he can tell us something about the making of the show, I've always wanted to get more in depth info on the making of, process of the show..especially the irish episode, there really must have been massive inpact on ireland, back then anything tiny would get front page coverage, so Young indy must have filled entire papers.. must look it up some day.

How are the old indy chronicles coming along, would love to see some more of em

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Someone sent me a YouTube message saying he was an extra during the Old Indy hospital scene from "German East Africa, December 1916"!
I'm going to get some more info from him. Anyway, he's really happy to have found the clip so I'm going to send him a DVD. Too cool!:D(y)

Thats really cool!

ReggieSnake

Stoo said:
Wow! Very cool. You never know who you'll meet out on the web....

Stoo

Twice in One Week

I just heard from Michele Seidman who played the U.S. Mail postal woman from the "Austria" bookends!:D
She is a singer in a blues band, Michele and the Midnight Blues. Here are some links and a still from the show:
http://www.micheleandthemidnightblues.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/MicheleMidnight

MicheleSeidman_1.jpg

Jeremiah Jones said:
That sounds great, maybe he can tell us something about the making of the show, I've always wanted to get more in depth info on the making of, process of the show..especially the irish episode, there really must have been massive inpact on ireland, back then anything tiny would get front page coverage, so Young indy must have filled entire papers.. must look it up some day.

How are the old indy chronicles coming along, would love to see some more of em
Well, he wrote back and here's what he had to say:

"I'm the black guy in the back in that scene behind old Indy after they took the guy to the back to give blood. I have on the black shirt and
the high top haircut (LOL). That was my first and only experience unfortunately, but I did get to meet George Lucas. It was a 10 hour day.
Each scene was rehearsed a couple of times and then shot a couple of times. It's amazing to see when ended up on the cutting room floor
and what angles they chose to use. Like the lady in the wheel chair." (bigernb)

He's in 5 or 6 shots but these are the clearest:

bigernb_1.jpg

Hopefully, this becomes a growing trend and we'll hear from more actors/extras in the future.
As for the remaining bookends, I will try to get Part 7 up before X-mas but the rest will have to wait until the new year.

H

Henry-Defance

does anyone know why these parts were edited out of the episodes.