Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #126
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
Well, good luck on your trip! How long are you gonna stay there? It's a great city indeed and you can spend a lot of time there without getting bored.
Only went for the weekend but saw a lot. Some great architecture along the river near the Reichstag!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay
Uhh someone from The Raven finally coming to Berlin

PM me, if you are still in Berlin.
Dang! I came back on Monday. It would have been cool to meet up. I was at the Park Inn Alexanderplatz.
You have a fine city!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Wow, I would have never expected you to say that!

The George Hall bookends are just more fun to me. I like all of his goofy mannerisms and things like that.
"You'll find I'm full of surprises."

Seriously, I love the old codger, but he was an acquired taste. It took a few episodes for me to start wanting to see him.
The opening Ford bookend is still as thrilling today as it was in '93. The music, the point-of-view shot of the road, Harrison
behind the wheel in a snow-bound, 1950 car chase! Unique and (canon-wise) uber-important.

Old Indy's goofy mannerisms are fun and very consistent thanks to George Hall.
I really love when he angrily yells at Spike after he says, "Grandpa, not another story."
"I've been listening to you! Now, you listen to me!"

My favourite of his mannerisms is when he jerks his head back before launching into one of his tales.
A good example of this happens in the jail cell for the "Germany" episode. He's a feisty ol' bugger!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #127
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Seriously, I love the old codger, but he was an acquired taste. It took a few episodes for me to start wanting to see him.

Agreed. I thought he was pretty bizarre at first (didn't hate him, but didn't love him), but eventually grew fond of him.

Quote:
My favourite of his mannerisms is when he jerks his head back before launching into one of his tales.
A good example of this happens in the jail cell for the "Germany" episode. He's a feisty ol' bugger!

Or in "Verdun", when his finishes his story... before he finds the man asleep.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #128
fommes
IndyFan

Quote:
The music, the point-of-view shot of the road, Harrison
behind the wheel in a snow-bound, 1950 car chase!
You gotta love that Ford sequence; I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it (I was quite young).
What always intrigued me was the music in that sequence: there's a Williams theme in there from Raiders if I'm not mistaken (it's been a decade since I saw it at least, I can't remember which right now).
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #129
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Stoo, a question for you.

I was re-watching your Old Indiana Jones Chronicles on Youtube. I noticed that some of the episodes have location and date titles, but not all. For example, just before we see Old Indy fishing around in the mailbox for his lunch, it says "Trenton, September 1992".

My question, since I don't remember these being on the original episodes at all: Were these on every episode, and they got cut out when you edited them together for Youtube? Or were they only on a few?
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #130
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
Stoo, a question for you.

I was re-watching your Old Indiana Jones Chronicles on Youtube. I noticed that some of the episodes have location and date titles, but not all. For example, just before we see Old Indy fishing around in the mailbox for his lunch, it says "Trenton, September 1992".

My question, since I don't remember these being on the original episodes at all: Were these on every episode, and they got cut out when you edited them together for Youtube? Or were they only on a few?
These locations & dates are new. I created them to match the original title cards
(which I elminated) since these are the stories of Indy in the '90s. Where it says
"Trenton, September 1992" used to read "Austria, March 1917". The other titles
were dropped to suggest that the mailbox/donut shop/jail all take place in Trenton.

The chronology and dates follow the the original broadcasts and the grouping of some
bookends into chapters comes from how well they fit together logically. Which is why,
for instance, "Philadelphia, October 1992" (Barcelona) is a stand-alone chapter.
The locations are educated guesses based on clues provided within each pair.
(In retrospect, I wish I'd been more precise on Parts 1 & 2!)

The 2 difficult ones will be "Transylvania" & "Peking" since Hallowe'en & Thanksgiving
don't jive with the airdates!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #131
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
The chronology and dates follow the the original broadcasts and the grouping of some
bookends into chapters comes from how well they fit together logically. Which is why,
for instance, "Philadelphia, October 1992" (Barcelona) is a stand-alone chapter.
The locations are educated guesses based on clues provided within each pair.
(In retrospect, I wish I'd been more precise on Parts 1 & 2!)

It's kind of funny how some of the two-parters were presented as two-hour episodes, while others were kept seperate. I guess it would have been difficult coming up with a proper title (since they always have a pulpy/action element to them) for a "German East Africa" and "Congo" combo... Young Indiana Jones and the Reverance for Life? Young Indiana Jones and the African Adventure? Or of course, Young Indiana Jones and the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #132
Crack that whip
IndyFan

I believe George's full intended title is German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life.

It's a great movie / two-part episode, but for anyone who hasn't already seen it, I think I'd recommend waiting until next year's special theatrical presentation of German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life: The Special Edition. Aside from a splendid new audio mix and state-of-the-art new effects, it's supposed to add four minutes of additional footage, and only one of them to accommodate the title.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #133
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I believe George's full intended title is German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life.

It's a great movie / two-part episode, but for anyone who hasn't already seen it, I think I'd recommend waiting until next year's special theatrical presentation of German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life: The Special Edition. Aside from a splendid new audio mix and state-of-the-art new effects, it's supposed to add four minutes of additional footage, and only one of them to accommodate the title.

I'm sure it will be followed by Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB: Special Edition; a digitally remastered, extended and CGI-enhanced version of Lucas' original student film, finally presented "the way it was meant to be seen" after 41 years.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #134
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi

I'm sure it will be followed by Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB: Special Edition; a digitally remastered, extended and CGI-enhanced version of Lucas' original student film, finally presented "the way it was meant to be seen" after 41 years.

Very funny mate!
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #135
TalonCard
IndyFan

Been lurking here for quite a while now, waiting for my account to be activated. Stoo, my family and I have really enjoyed the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles"--adding the places and dates in the titles is extremly amusing. We can't wait for the next installment.

Seeing these bookends at long last has had two major effects on me. For one thing, I look at older people in a different light than I used to--I'm always wondering what it was like for them growing up in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. Turns out they've had some interesting adventures too!

Second, the line "I remember the time when my friend Remy and I..." has become a running joke at my house. "You think you've had a bad day? I remember the time when my friend Remy..." "That reminds me of the time Remy and I..."

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #136
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Part 6

The adventures of Old Indy carry on with our fist glimpse of his life at home
and the introduction of his 1952 Plymouth. These bookends also feature the
sole appearance of grandson, Spike, and a sneak-peek at Indy's daughter.

Others have already uploaded these to YouTube but their quality isn't that great.
So, here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00uVYYvqwLc
Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #137
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Where exactly is Indy's daughter? Is she supposed to be one of the women listening to Indy in the second bookend? I thought those were supposed to be neighbors? I suppose she came outside to see what all the fuss was about or something.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #138
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
The adventures of Old Indy carry on with our fist glimpse of his life at home
and the introduction of his 1952 Plymouth. These bookends also feature the
sole appearance of grandson, Spike, and a sneak-peek at Indy's daughter.

Others have already uploaded these to YouTube but their quality isn't that great.
So, here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00uVYYvqwLc

What does the jar say? I tried pausing it, but I still can't read it. I wonder if it's important.
tupogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #139
tupogirl
IndyFan

Diesel for 1.06!?!? *passes out*
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #140
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Hey, tupo, congrats on passing the threshold for an avatar!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #141
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Hey, tupo, congrats on passing the threshold for an avatar!

Thank you, thank you!! I was so excited to pick it out!!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #142
TalonCard
IndyFan

You're the greatest, Stoo! Can't wait to see more!

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #143
Flannery10
IndyFan

Well Stoo, I can only repeat myself. Thanks for all the stuff you're putting up. Really appreciate it.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #144
fommes
IndyFan

Really great to see those alternative bookends! To which episodes do alternative bookends exist? (I suppose they were in one of the original broadcasts?)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #145
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
Really great to see those alternative bookends! To which episodes do alternative bookends exist? (I suppose they were in one of the original broadcasts?)

I'd say around 3/4 or the episodes had bookends, which all starred George Hall as Old Indiana Jones (Exceptions are the bookends for Mystery of the Blues starring Harrison Ford and the bookends for Travels with Father starring Sean Patrick Flanery). Except the Ford bookends they were all removed and replace by, sometimes terribly made, linking segments.

Bookends had:
Curse of the Jackal, London, British East Africa, Verdun, German East Africa, Congo, Austria, Somme, Germany, Barcelona, Mystery of the Blues (Ford and George Hall ones), Princeton, Petrograd, Scandal of 1920, Vienna, Northern Italy, Ireland, Paris (1908), Peking, Benares, Paris (1916), Florence, Transylvania and Travels with Father (Sean Patrick Flanery).
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #146
fommes
IndyFan

Thanks for your answer! but I know - I meant which have alternative bookends (alternative in the original series)?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #147
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
Thanks for your answer! but I know - I meant which have alternative bookends (alternative in the original series)?

Mystery of the Blues is the only one.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #148
metalinvader
IndyFan

Are monster trucks even street legal?

Must have cost an arm and a leg to fill it up!

It's kind of funny to think that these people listening to Indy's stories have no real idea of the life he has had.It's kind of humbling in a way.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #149
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
It's kind of funny to think that these people listening to Indy's stories have no real idea of the life he has had.It's kind of humbling in a way.

Imagine if he told them the tale of the Holy Grail! I can just imagine:

Old Indy is (yet again) in a hospital operating room. He witnesses a code blue, in which a person is brought back to life. Once one of the assistants finishes, he sets down next to Indy...

Old Indy: My, that was quite a rescue!

Assistant: (out of breath) Th-thank you sir.

Old Indy: You do this all the time?

Assistant: It's my first day.

Old Indy nods his head.

Old Indy: You know, this reminds me of something from my younger years. (tilts head back) Yes... 1938. I had just returned home from a bit of busness on the Portuguese Coast. A couple of guys tracked me down, told me my father was missing...

One hour later. Indy is just finishing his story, and the assistant has an astonished, slightly amused look on his face.

Old Indy: So the Grail saved my father, and for a moment, the both of us were to live forever... (sad look) an old man's dream.

Assistant: (skeptical look) Haha. OK, well, we could certainly use something like that here. Look, I gotta be going. Nice talking to ya old timer.

Indy shakes his head.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #150
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Nicely done! But I think that particular story would take him closer to two hours to tell.