The Indy Cast

harvey

Stoo said:
THE FURTHER ADVENTURES
@Joe & Keith:
Joe, you're still using some "Price is Right" music!:p The "Further Adventures" segment with yourself & Keith was GREAT! I liked it a lot. (y) DON'T STOP!!!:whip:

Thanks for the accolades, Stoo! What a blast it was to get exclusive art from Dan Reed. And hopefully, there will be more to come! (y)

As Keith mentioned, very special guest in the new Raven's Nest next ep...you won't want to miss it.

And...there will ALWAYS be room for Price is Right music!! :D

lairdo

Coming next week... John Williams Special 9! We look at 3 films celebrating their 5 year multiple anniversaries.

Ron and I are busy finishing editing, and Ed should be able to post it on Monday.

The next regular IndyCast should be going live on November 5.

Laird

indycast

IndyCast: John Williams Special #9 is here!

526039_10151235728029489_663066771_n.jpg

Ron and Laird return to celebrate the 5s - with three films celebrating their multiple 5 year anniversaries. Take a listen to some classic tracks including snippets of recent interviews with the Maestro.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/topstory/IndyCast_Special_9_The_Magic_of_John_Williams_148628.asp

russds

What a great episode. Thank you!

I was trying to get some show notes, so i looked over at theindycast.com, but the podcast isn't listed there. So i'm just confused, which site should I go to to keep most up to date? and is there show notes somewhere? I was just looking to share a list of the movies covered on another forum.

I really like how you've got audio from interviews, and sound tracks to cover what you're talking about, really well done. Thank you!
-Russ

indycast said:
IndyCast: John Williams Special #9 is here!

526039_10151235728029489_663066771_n.jpg

Ron and Laird return to celebrate the 5s - with three films celebrating their multiple 5 year anniversaries. Take a listen to some classic tracks including snippets of recent interviews with the Maestro.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/topstory/IndyCast_Special_9_The_Magic_of_John_Williams_148628.asp

lairdo

Thanks so much for the nice comments Russ. We only put up a short blurb for the show notes. I am remiss in giving Ed weblinks. I know the ForceCast webpage has the current info. Not sure why it has not populated to the IndyCast front page yet. It will soon.

We cover Black Sunday (1977 - 35th anniversary), E.T. (1982 - 20th) and Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002 - 10th). There are some Indy snippets in there too of course.

We really appreciate you listening and sharing the podcast with others. We'll be back with another JW special in December.

Laird

russds

Sounds good thanks! I would also add To Kill a Mockingbird to your show notes, as that was great to hear the little piano solo from JW there, and perhaps the sources of the Interviews. I just mention it because you've got quite a deluge of great information here, from great interviews, to great snippets of great scores, which aren't just the "Star Wars Main Theme" typical JW cover stuff. A real treat for JW fans.

lairdo

Good points. Yes, I was going to annotate all of that later today. Some of it is not available online anymore but I can at least state the sources.

The complete list of music used is:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (three pieces, two referenced by name)
Black Sunday
ET (album and Hollywood Bowl 9/1/12 concert)
Poltergeist (Goldsmith)
Star Wars A New Hope
Star Wars Attack of the Clones
To Kill a Mockingbird (movie opening titles)

and interviews:
John Williams interviewed by the BBC's Tommy Pearson (2012)
John Williams and Steven Spielberg AFI Master Class (2011)

plus the Lincoln Trailer

(Now, I just have to send the links to these to Ed - so thanks for getting me to do them.)

russds

Perfect, thanks! just fyi I posted it over here.

lairdo said:
Good points. Yes, I was going to annotate all of that later today. Some of it is not available online anymore but I can at least state the sources.

The complete list of music used is:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (three pieces, two referenced by name)
Black Sunday
ET (album and Hollywood Bowl 9/1/12 concert)
Poltergeist (Goldsmith)
Star Wars A New Hope
Star Wars Attack of the Clones
To Kill a Mockingbird (movie opening titles)

and interviews:
John Williams interviewed by the BBC's Tommy Pearson (2012)
John Williams and Steven Spielberg AFI Master Class (2011)

plus the Lincoln Trailer

(Now, I just have to send the links to these to Ed - so thanks for getting me to do them.)

InexorableTash

lairdo said:
We cover Black Sunday (1977 - 35th anniversary)

I hadn't heard any of Black Sunday before. The last track played ("E..." - no spoilers!) sounded, unsurprisingly, an awful lot like the "trench run" scene from Star Wars (the track titled "The Final Battle"). I could imagine an edit of that scene with the Black Sunday track instead.

Faleel

InexorableTash said:
I hadn't heard any of Black Sunday before. The last track played ("E..." - no spoilers!) sounded, unsurprisingly, an awful lot like the "trench run" scene from Star Wars (the track titled "The Final Battle"). I could imagine an edit of that scene with the Black Sunday track instead.

Alot of this score reminded me of Chase Through Coruscant.

Faleel

Also Williams DID use Piano in empire: The Battle of Hoth, like two grand piano's if I recall "More Piano's the better" he said I believe.

lairdo

All good points and great additions!

I've been watching Revenge of the Sith this week, and I am really digging the more atmospheric and minor key music there. We might have to look at that now.

Hopefully we will still get more Indy. I know we will get more SW now. Hopefully JW will be able to score Ep VII-IX.

Faleel

lairdo said:
All good points and great additions!

I've been watching Revenge of the Sith this week, and I am really digging the more atmospheric and minor key music there. We might have to look at that now.

Hopefully we will still get more Indy. I know we will get more SW now. Hopefully JW will be able to score Ep VII-IX.

I gotta say I dissagree about AOTC, there is ALOT of music missing (not just tracked music)

here they are (made up titles)

Padme's Ship Destroyed
Elevator COnversation (Obi and Ani)
She Hardly Recognized Me.
Departing Coruscant Fanfare
Approaching Naboo Palace (The "Spanish Music")
Arrival At Kamino Fanfare
Padme and Anakin's First Kiss
Rainy Ramp
Watto Describes Mother's Fate
Spare Canister Caper (unreleased bit)
Anakin's Confession
The Conveyor Belt (unreleased bits)
Padme Falls
Dooku Vs. Yoda Strikes Back
Finale (Unreleased Emporer theme bit)
Finale Original Version (Replaced by the Imperial March)

there are some others, most of the above can be found in the various SW video games like BF 1 and 2, TOR, TFU 1 and 2 etc. so we kind of have them

Same for ROTS: The FULL Anakin Vs. Obi battle, Get Em R2 (Unused), Good Guy's Arrive (Unused, great fanfare BTW), Going to Utapau.

TPM is a puzzle, the score is all hacked up in the film, but some people have pretty much figured out williams original intent.

Last edited:

indycast

russds said:
I was trying to get some show notes, so i looked over at theindycast.com, but the podcast isn't listed there. So i'm just confused, which site should I go to to keep most up to date? and is there show notes somewhere?
-Russ

Hey Russ, the show notes are up on www.theindycast.com

We try to get everything up at the same time, but sometimes it's not always possible!

Thanks for listening. :)

russds

lairdo said:
Hopefully JW will be able to score Ep VII-IX.
This was my second thought too upon hearing the news of new episodes, my first thought was, "I hope they will be good". :)

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
"Black Sunday" is a good movie but I forgot that Johnny Williams did the music. I have it, so now this is inspiration to watch it again!:)

35th anniversary: Has it really been that long?:confused::eek:

lairdo

Stoo said:
"Black Sunday" - 35th anniversary: Has it really been that long?:confused::eek:

Yes, we forget it was the same as SW and CE3K. They were all 1977 releases although some of the scoring was done in 1976.

lairdo

Here's an interesting fact that I think is correct. I believe that the only film John Williams has done for Disney is Nixon (released under the Hollywood Pictures label). I just went through his credits, and that's the only one I found. He has a ton for Universal (both with and without Spielberg). A good number with Warner Bros, and then Fox and Paramount (mostly SW and Indy for those - but lots of others too).

So, if he does Ep VII and beyond, he will be almost in new territory.

Anyway know of any others he has done for Disney & co?

Ron and I will cover Nixon in our December special by the way.