Indy 5 news 2012

AndyLGR

I'm surprised that Indy wasn't part of the valuation of Lucasfilm, so does that mean they have in effect signed over all rights to him for free?

If so I assume Disney can then fight it out in the future with Paramount over the characters future?

Clearly there is more money to be made from Star Wars, not only from the films, but all the other spin off stuff that it creates, and personally (and I've said this many times) I think Indy will be re-made / re-booted with another actor or they will go down the Tintin animation route. So it may be sad to say that Harrison might have played him for the last time.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
I'm surprised that Indy wasn't part of the valuation of Lucasfilm, so does that mean they have in effect signed over all rights to him for free?

If so I assume Disney can then fight it out in the future with Paramount over the characters future?

Well, it's not <I>all</I> rights to him, is the thing. There are still entanglements with Paramount that need to be resolved for a sum that is up to Paramount and Disney to determine between themselves.

AndyLGR

Attila the Professor said:
Well, it's not <I>all</I> rights to him, is the thing. There are still entanglements with Paramount that need to be resolved for a sum that is up to Paramount and Disney to determine between themselves.
Yes I think I said that, so Lucasfilm have signed over all of their rights to Indy for free?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
Yes I think I said that, so Lucasfilm have signed over all of their rights to Indy for free?

All of <I>their</I> rights? Yes, to my knowledge.

I wouldn't normally aim to be so pedantic about these details, but since it's the internet, and misinformation travels fast, I figured it's worthwhile in this case.

Pale Horse

Staff member
er...not free. For 4 point zero five BILLION....

the semantic or pedantic arguments are in the details of the valuation report.

George: So Han Solo is worth 5.2 million...Jaba 3.4, darth a cool billion...
Bob: And Indy...what's he worth?
George: right now, after KOTCS....?
Bob: As a whole...
George: Well, he does have a whip and hat....we could sell those?
Bob: Okay. But Howard the Duck, he's free...got it. Free.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
er...not free. For 4 point zero five BILLION....

Indeed.

Anyhow, Entertainment Weekly's done a little delving into the deal, along with some predictions of their own of the sort that belongs in this thread more than most things do.

What about Indy? The Disney/Lucasfilm deal and the future of 'Indiana Jones'
by Adam B. Vary

Amid the flurry of Twitterpation over the deal for Disney to buy Lucasfilm and the subsequent plans for a new trio of Star Wars feature films, the fate of another beloved brainchild of George Lucas was lost a bit in the shuffle: Indiana Jones. Adjusted for inflation, the four Indy movies have brought in nearly $1.9 billion at the domestic box office (or $939 million in unadjusted gross). In 2008, after a 19-year absence from the multiplex, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull proved the globetrotting archeologist still had plenty of box office snap left in his whip, pulling in $786.6 million worldwide.

All of which is to say, if Disney is clearly so eager to get the Star Wars engines revving once more, wouldn?t the studio also want to keep Henry ?Indiana? Jones, Jr. swinging into theaters? After all, Disney already has two immensely popular Indiana Jones attractions at its theme parks: The Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Disney?s Hollywood Studios in Orlando. A new Indiana Jones movie should be a no brainer, right?

Well, it?s complicated. During a shareholders conference call on Tuesday, Disney chief Bob Iger said there were ?some encumbrances? to monetizing Indiana Jones. It appears that is a bit of an understatement. EW has confirmed that Paramount Pictures, heretofore the franchise?s sole Hollywood home, retains the rights to distribute any future Indiana Jones movies, as well as all the rights (from distribution to DVD/Blu-ray) for the previous four Indy films. That alone wouldn?t prevent a fifth Indiana Jones from happening ? Paramount holds similar distribution rights for several Marvel Studios franchises, and that train is happily chugging along. (When reached by EW, a Disney spokesperson said the studio could not comment further on the Lucasfilm deal until it clears the regulatory process.) But anyone hoping to hear John Williams? stirring Indy theme once more should keep a few other factors in mind.

Steven Spielberg is tired of directing action. The Indiana Jones director had no comment on the Disney/Lucasfilm deal when reached by EW, but in his recent interview for 60 Minutes to promote Lincoln, the filmmaker made clear that the thrill of helming a killer action sequence has faded for him. ?I knew I could do the action in my sleep,? he said. ?At this point in my career, in my life, the action doesn?t hold any ? it doesn?t attract me any more.? Given that the Indiana Jones films are at their heart action-adventure tales, that?s not exactly a stirring endorsement. But Spielberg isn?t abandoning the action genre, either ? he?s next set to direct Robopocalypse, which is at the very least arguably the most action-y title of Spielberg?s career.

Producer Frank Marshall thinks Crystal Skull was ?the last hurrah.? While making the press rounds for his film The Bourne Legacy, producer Frank Marshall ? whose second major credit as a feature film producer was for Raiders of the Lost Ark ? told Collider that he thought Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was ?the last hurrah? for the franchise. He added that the principal Indy creative brain trust ? Spielberg, Lucas, Harrison Ford, and himself ? still ?talk about? a fifth Indy film. ?But there?s no idea [for a story]; there?s no MacGuffin.? Marshall?s wife, by the way, is Kathleen Kennedy, the new president of Lucasfilm. Make of that what you will.

Harrison Ford is 70. Granted, he could still beat the crap out of men half his age (or younger). He certainly was in fighting shape when he made Crystal Skull five years ago, and he?s very much a gainfully employed movie star, with three major films aiming for release next year. But at a certain point, one?s suspension of disbelief can only dangle so far before it collapses.

Shia LaBeouf is ?done? with big-budget movies. In 2008, concerns about Ford?s advancing age were made moot after Crystal Skull appeared to set up LaBeouf as the heir apparent to the Indy franchise. (Four-year-old SPOILER alert: He turns out to be Indy?s son, Henry ?Mutt? Jones III.) Earlier this year, however, LaBeouf announced that he was ?done? making studio-driven movies, saying that ?there?s no room for being a visionary in the studio system ? it literally cannot exist.? Match that sentiment with LaBeouf?s apology two years ago for the not-exactly-well-received Crystal Skull ? ?[Spielberg's] done so much great work that there?s no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball? ? and it would seem the actor?s future in the franchise isn?t exactly bright.

Of course, all of these hurdles could be surmounted if a killer script ignites the imagination of the keepers of the Indiana Jones legacy. But with Spielberg occupied elsewhere and Lucasfilm focused on expanding the Star Wars universe, Indy?s fedora may be hanging on the rack for a long time to come.

And here's the pull-quote, if you don't want to revisit things you've already seen:

EW has confirmed that Paramount Pictures, heretofore the franchise?s sole Hollywood home, retains the rights to distribute any future Indiana Jones movies, as well as all the rights (from distribution to DVD/Blu-ray) for the previous four Indy films. That alone wouldn?t prevent a fifth Indiana Jones from happening ? Paramount holds similar distribution rights for several Marvel Studios franchises, and that train is happily chugging along. (When reached by EW, a Disney spokesperson said the studio could not comment further on the Lucasfilm deal until it clears the regulatory process.)

GW1976

5 years from now, they'll announce a reboot. New actor, new stories everything.
That's just my opinion of course

indytim

Paramount and Disney could come to an agreement like other studios have in the past when co-financing film projects where one of them is responsible for the domestic (USA) box office and the other the international market. In doing so they basically evenly split the production cost and then equally share the takings.

Toht's Arm

indytim said:
Paramount and Disney could come to an agreement like other studios have in the past when co-financing film projects where one of them is responsible for the domestic (USA) box office and the other the international market. In doing so they basically evenly split the production cost and then equally share the takings.

I think it's the "equally share in the takings" bit that Disney isn't too keen on...

Mickiana

Dr. Gonzo said:
The past 6 posts are not news...

please continue non news related discussion here in the rumors/thoughts and possibilities thread...

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19872&page=229

Might as well merge the two threads. There's not likely any news coming. Of course I don't care if they are not merged. It's just an idea to keep everyone happy. Please don't take offense at the suggestion. It is being offered purely as a pragmatism.

Kernunnos

IndyForever said:
Lucas has spoken & Indy does not appear to be something he is working on any longer so I guess its 100% dead now :dead:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/04/george-lucas-post-star-wars-future/

?I?m going to go further out than that. I barely got Red Tails into the theaters. The ones I?m working on now will never get into the theaters.?

It's not dead. If anything, it's more alive than ever now he wont be involved.

Disney aren't going to just sit on such a franchise. They'll work something out with Paramount, and then they'll do something that will **** all over Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

My biggest fear for #5 was always Lucas. The chances of us getting a really good film have just gone up dramatically, even if Disney decide to replace Harrison, which I really hope they wont for the time being.

Montana Smith

IndyForever said:

Lucas admitted mixed emotions about letting Lucasfilm go. “It’s very sad. It’s 40 years of work and it’s been my life, but I’m ready to move on to bigger and better things.”

"Bigger and better" meaning “philanthropy", instead of the rubbish that Lucasfilm had primarily become associated with. He off-loaded it before he could inflict more indignity upon his creations.

Kernunnos said:
My biggest fear for #5 was always Lucas. The chances of us getting a really good film have just gone up dramatically, even if Disney decide to replace Harrison, which I really hope they wont for the time being.

This is true. Even if it is ostensibly reboot time. Lucas had become a hack. He had some good ideas in the '70s and '80s, ones that afforded him the opportunity to become a big cheese. When those ideas had run their course, all the big cheese had left was...cheese.

AndyLGR

I'd agree with the sentiment that Indy is far from dead. Its a potential money making franchise that disney can still exploit., so why would they just sit on it? Whether thats with Harrison is another matter, my feeling is that Indy 5 will be a reboot. The question is will audiences accept Indy being played by someone else? Can the franchise become a Bond style franchise with different actors?

Kernunnos

If the franchise is going to continue, then a new actor will have to be found sooner or later. That in itself raises some exciting possibilities, such as exploring the years between Crusade and Skull, when Indy was earning his medals in WWII. I think I'd rather see that than a reboot to pre-Raiders times, or pre-Temple should I say!

Harrison has still got an Indy movie left in him though, and deserves a better last hurrah than Skull, IMO. I'd be delighted if Disney could give us that, because I'm sure they'd do the older Indy justice, and make a much better job of coming up with something that all age groups can enjoy than Lucas ever would have.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
IndyForever said:
Indy does not appear to be something he is working on any longer
Yes, the complete Indy file was surely part of the "treasure trove of stories" Lucas handed over to Spielberg's longtime producer. Unless we hear he's still working on it or it's in his hands, his current projects probably won't be included in the Indy 5 news roundup. Still on the lookout for new quotes regardless, thanks IndyForever!