General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Olliana

So Marshall is indeed involved with Indy 5 and seemingly working on it as we speak. His teasing tweets weren't just mindless mumblings after all. Something is happening guys.

Let's put those meaningless discussions about whether a potential Indy 5 would be a losing game or not to rest already.

Olliana

Grizzlor said:
article-2587600-1C82879400000578-437_634x934.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...boards-private-jet-husband-Harrison-Ford.html

Still looking good.

laoche2.png

laoche.png

Sorry, I had to.

Grizzlor

Olliana said:
So Marshall is indeed involved with Indy 5 and seemingly working on it as we speak. His teasing tweets weren't just mindless mumblings after all. Something is happening guys.

Let's put those meaningless discussions about whether a potential Indy 5 would be a losing game or not to rest already.

Frank has teased/debunked like this for 15 years.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Udavonsky is Right.

Chuckle. This is fun.

Ain't happening folks. And if it is, it ain't anything that has been processed in this thread. No Marshall, no Cooper, no Darabont...

No Ford.

Udvarnoky

It's still reasonable to think that there are "forces at play" to make a fifth Indy movie happen, but who knows how seriously and at what pace.

Which is nothing that wasn't true before this hooey.

micsteam

Darabont is an exceptional screenwriter wether you like him for an Indy script or not. Cooper is a scmuck, albeit a talented one but to much a scmuck to be Indy. I'm about 99 % positve Ford will be in at least one more, unless like Zemeckis on the last Back to the Future's they do two back to back. Marshal is def. going to be involved in the next Indy movie project, face it it's these movies that made him. As far as screenwriter I say Kasdan all the way !!! Not having Kadan do the script for the following movies is a major reason why everyone feels they were missing something. If you watch his other projects following Raiders, like Silverado, you can see similarities and a certain romanticism that made Raiders soo good !! My two cents. :hat:

Raiders90

My question is:

At this point, why does anyone ere hold out hope for an Indy V starring Ford? What gives you the faith that it will happen?

Let's examine the evidence:

Ford is 72 years old. The earliest an Indy film could be put onto production would be next year, at which point he'd be 73.

Given his age, it's probable that there'd be little action, or that any acton would probably be done by a younger character (basically what happened with Mutt in KOTCS, except even moreso now). Would anyone really want to see an Indy movie with very little action, or one wth Harrison on te sidelines while another guy kicks butt?

Lucas is mostly retired and he has never shown much interest in Indy anyway.

Spielberg didn't even want to make an Indy IV. What makes you think ed want to do a fifth film? Even if he did, it'd probably be shot mostly in the US again, and with the same over lit look as KOTCS.

While KOTCS was a commercial success, it's fan reception killed the franchise. Franchises don't tend to survive movies that are received like KOTCS was without a reboot (see Batman)

While KOTCS was a success, the Indy series is very limited in its potential for exploitation across multiple mediums. Disney likes to cross market all of its films in terms of games, toys, books etc. The Indy universe is very small and limited compared to Disney's other franchises. There's not much room for exploitation.

KOTCS made 700 mil. Nice, but compared to billion dollar films like The Avengers and Frozen, it's average. And what evidence is there that a Ford led Indy V would make nearly as much as KOTCS did? Skull had the advance of 19 years of hype, anticipation, nostalgia and excitement, which I'm sure inflated it's box office. Indy V won't have those advantages, and is actually hampered by KOTCS: less expectations, less interest, less turnout

Demographically, who would pay to see a 72-74 year old Harrison as Indy? I can't see very many 18-24 year old guys being into it. I can't see very many young women going to see 73 year old Harry. And further subtract all those fanboys who felt burnt by KOTCS.

I think the live action, Harrison era Indy is done. Maybe in a few years, Disney'll do an animated series, or a reboot in 5-10 years. But I don't believe we will see Harry as Indy on the big screen again, nor will we get any new video games or novels sadly.

Indy is old hat folks.

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
At this point, why does anyone ere hold out hope for an Indy V starring Ford? What gives you the faith that it will happen?

Ford's interest. That's enough to make Disney consider the possibility. I don't know how to translate that to odds, and I have zero insight on Lucas or Spielberg with regard to this project, but if Ford is really as interested in doing the movie as the rumors make it sound, then the powers that be are at least reviewing the option.

Grizzlor

Ha ha, I just realized that Latino Review's rumor was pertaining to Frank Darabount. That right there is a huge red flag. Darabount was so pissed off with them after they rejected his KOTCS script, it's very unlikely he will ever work on a Lucas property again.

Udvarnoky

Whether the news is good or bad, I think definitive answers will come in less than a year. They have to make serious movement very soon for any Ford movie, so it won't be 2015 by the time we know if they managed to pull the rabbit out or if the whole thing collapsed.

And I don't know when the next big media function is that Lucas will be attending, but when he is asked for comment on Indiana Jones 5, his response should be pretty revealing.

IndyFan89

Pale Horse said:
Chuckle. This is fun.

Ain't happening folks. And if it is, it ain't anything that has been processed in this thread. No Marshall, no Cooper, no Darabont...

No Ford.

Your wrong, Frank Marshall and Ford will definitely be involved and then inevitably they will go the Bond route for Indy. Disney will definitely make another Indy or else they wouldn't of made the deal with Paramount.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
Whether the news is good or bad, I think definitive answers will come in less than a year. They have to make serious movement very soon for any Ford movie, so it won't be 2015 by the time we know if they managed to pull the rabbit out or if the whole thing collapsed.

And I don't know when the next big media function is that Lucas will be attending, but when he is asked for comment on Indiana Jones 5, his response should be pretty revealing.
Probably the Star Wars EP7 press conference in May in England. Its not been announced yet but for something as big as Star Wars they are most likely going to have a big press conference if Lucas is there that is.

Lucas has been very low key since he adopted a child last summer & got married so not sure he is working on Indy 5 at all & Spielberg said no more Indy for him without Lucas....so frustrating when Ford is ready to go & can do the part wth minimal preparation.

Spielberg will be around in the summer when the next Transformer movie arrives but he is also stepping back a bit & gave away Interstellar to Nolan even though he owned the rights & was developing for years then watched as FX budget issues sidelined his Robot movie (they said it would restart last summer but nothing happened since).

If Lucas is really 100% retired I can see Disney getting Ford & another director to make this sooner rather than later now they bought the rights from Paramount....

IndyFan89 said:
There isn't anyone as rugged. We're going to have to settle.

Exactly Harrison as to be the most rugged guy I've ever seen, look it him in raiders and temple..Beast.

And he can do Indy in hIs 70's, he is tough as nails people just like old man Clint.

Grizzlor

IndyForever said:
Lucas has been very low key since he adopted a child last summer & got married so not sure he is working on Indy 5 at all & Spielberg said no more Indy for him without Lucas....so frustrating when Ford is ready to go & can do the part wth minimal preparation.

Spielberg will be around in the summer when the next Transformer movie arrives but he is also stepping back a bit & gave away Interstellar to Nolan even though he owned the rights & was developing for years then watched as FX budget issues sidelined his Robot movie (they said it would restart last summer but nothing happened since).

If Lucas is really 100% retired I can see Disney getting Ford & another director to make this sooner rather than later now they bought the rights from Paramount....
Well the discussion we've been having is whether Disney is basically going full speed ahead, with or without George Lucas. I would assume without in the sense that he will have input, but is not tasked with coming up with the MacGuffin or story outline. Plus with the rumor/news that Ford may have signed for 2 Indy movies. My hope is that Steven, Harrison, and George are given executive producer input, but the story comes from elsewhere. Otherwise it will never get done.

Udvarnoky

Lucas is important, because he and Spielberg may go hand-in-hand. Lucas either needs to express that he's actively working on it or that he's blessed an outsourcing of the responsibility.

Disney can absolutely go forward without Lucas, but of the many conditions that must be satisfied for another Ford sequel to work, having the whole gang involved may prove to be one of them.

Indy Jones

All I'm saying is look at Frank Marshall's previous track record in regards to talk of Indy 5.

Years ago, before the Disney deal, when rumor would spring up, he'd vehemently deny the possibility. Now, he ain't denying the possibility of 5. This recent refutation is only toward the "recast" talk.

The only thing I'm certain of is that Disney is thinking about Indy 5. Will George, Steven or Harrison be involved? No guarantee. Will it be a sequel/reboot? No clue. Personally, I'd prefer no reboot. If you're gonna recast, just do Indy adventures we haven't seen yet, set in the past.

I don't think it can be denied that Disney will do another Indy film at some point. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to clear the distribution rights from Paramount. And Marshall wouldn't have tweeted the Indy office thing if he wasn't involved in another film. He would not be involved with any other aspect of the franchise except for new films.

Something's coming. Mark me words.