Akubra Federation (Standard) from HatsDirect

P

phillipmscott

Finally investing in an Akubra after years of poorly fitting, S/M/L/XL standard hats. Can anyone advise whether the Federation is the best for that Raiders look, and whether HatsDirect have reasonable shipping to the UK ? Canyon - I'm looking at you here ;)

qwerty

Akubra Federation is the best hat you can find under 100 dollars which will give you the raiders look.
I heard that people from COW menaged to use their influence on Akubra to make a low budget hat with high quality. I do not own a Federation but I've heard all the best things about it.
I am also thinking of buying one.
I also have a question for people who have (and wear) Akubra Federation. Is Federaton winter or summer hat, or something else? Can it be worn, let's say, in june in Florida? Or maybe in december in Moscow?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I have worn mine in temperatures ranging from about -7 degrees Celsius to about 28 degrees celsius. It's not the best choice for headgear in either of your options. In very cold weather your ears will freeze and in extremely hot weather you will sweat like mad. You can of course remove the liner and sweatband, which will help a lot. Probably the best hat in hot temperatures is a panama hat like the one Belloq wears. Otherwise it is a year round hat for me. The Federation is the best cheap Indy hat on the market, the best Raiders hat would be an Adventurebilt Deluxe. Hatsdirect has two overseas shipping options, Airmail and EMS Courier. Airmail is supposed to 5-10 days, so that would probably be the best choice.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
VP said:
the best Raiders hat would be an Adventurebilt Deluxe
I'm curious as to what you call the Adventurebuilt Deluxe (the beaver felt?), they have no mention of it on their site.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Adventurebilt Deluxe is the Deluxe version of the regular Adventurebilt. AB Deluxes have finer pouncing, denser felt and the sweatband and the liner are both higher quality. The AB site hasn't been updated in a long time, an English version of the AB Deluxe site is in the works. http://indyartifacts.de/adventurebilt

JEEP

The english AB-dlx page has been up for a while now: www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com

I have an AB-dlx (waterfall bash):

ABdlx03.jpg

ABdlx02.jpg

ABdlx01.jpg

It's one helluva fedora - so far it has stood up to a blizzard and several heavy rainfalls, without any damage.

/Jakob

Doc Savage

I enjoy mine. I'll have to look into the AdventureBuilt. My only issue with the Fed is that I have to steam the brim quite often to keep it rolled.

Baron Brunwald

So how do I figure out my hat size, because my fedora right now is just a "Large" that is slightly too big but a "Medium" is too small, and I'm considering getting the AB-dlx that Jeep posted.

Doc Savage

Baron Brunwald said:
So how do I figure out my hat size, because my fedora right now is just a "Large" that is slightly too big but a "Medium" is too small, and I'm considering getting the AB-dlx that Jeep posted.
A tape measure with centimeters listed, I believe. ;)

JEEP

Baron Brunwald said:

If it's only a little too large - then I would go with a large, a fedora has a tendency to shrink a little after it has been worn a little while.

You won't regret getting an AB-dlx - you can take my word for that :)

The AB's are BTW made after measurements - so you won't have to worry about standard sizes there.

/Jakob

Baron Brunwald

Doc Savage said:
A tape measure with centimeters listed, I believe. ;)

Ahhh, thank you. I need a 58 as opposed to my 60.

Edit: this is what im rollin' with right now, except i took the IJ pin off of it.
thumbsup.php

Last edited: