The Gospel of Judas Iscariot

San Holo

Are any of you familiar with this ancient text?I've read the Gnostic Gospels and the "lost" Books of the New Testament, but have never heard of the book of Judas. Apparentley, it covers the last days of Jesus' life and depicts Judas as a hero, instead of the betrayer. There is a new book out about the subject, and the National Geographic Channel is airing a special on The Gospel of Judas this Sunday.

HovitosKing

Quite an interesting story behind it. It's been all over the news for the last few days. There's a special on National Geographic tomorrow night I believe. Personally, I find it a fascinating thesis and am interested in knowing more about what it says. I also find it fascinating how many people have already discredited it because it goes against what they believe to be true. ;)

HovitosKing

I watched it last night and I also taped it. Watched it again today. Personally, I thought it was a wonderful documentary. Here's a review I submitted to antoher website:

This documentary follows the spotty trail of events stemming from the recent re-discovery of this Gnostic gospel in 1978 through the extensive, painstaking five-year restoration ending in 2006. It provides an excellent and necessary treatment of the other Gnostic gospels (of which there were several dozen) and the church's barbaric assault on the Gnostics in an attempt to consolidate ideas and build a following throughout the ages.

The documentary follows a team of Coptic experts as they verify the authenticity of the text, and also takes the time to explain how carbon dating has slammed the door on any notions of forgery. Like the other gospels, this version was translated from Greek to Coptic by early Christians between the 3rd and 4th Centuries.

Some of the main points from the text are presented, and Judas is presented as an agent and favorite of Jesus rather than a traitor. It compares the treatment of Judas in the canonical gospels, which is a very interesting segment as well, and discusses the anti-Semitic evolution of the New Testament. This is truly one of the most fascinating discoveries of the last two thousand years, and I believe that this documentary does it justice. Absolutely a must see for both scholars and those who profess Christianity as their religion.

Hope this helps!

San Holo

temple of john said:
I did. It was fascinating actually. It really becomes apparent to us how much power the church has had through out history. Too much. To declare that a document if heiresy is wrong for them to ever do but yet, they have done it many, many times. There is so much out there that people have not been made aware of because the Catholic church wants you to believe a certain point of view...theirs. I want to know more about this and other ancient documents that have been kept a secret..
Check out the Gospel of Thomas. It is probably my favorite of the "lost" books.

indyt

As you all know the gospel of judas is one of the gnostic gospels or "lost books" , deuterocananical books, of the Bible. The church fathers were not led by the Holy Spirit to put these books in the canon even though alot of these are in the Catholic version of the Bible. In short they do not belong in our Bible because they are not inspired by God to be in there.

Not trying to start a debate here, just putting in my information and enjoying the thread.:)

"they do not belong in our Bible because they are not inspired by God to be in there"

The KING creates religion. (This is fact for any and all religions.) "God" has nothing to do with it.... Religion has always been and will always be nothing more than a political tool, to control people, what they do and how they think.

Who do you let control your life?

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"they do not belong in our Bible because they are not inspired by God to be in there"

The KING creates religion. (This is fact for any and all religions.) "God" has nothing to do with it.... Religion has always been and will always be nothing more than a political tool, to control people, what they do and how they think.

you mean it has been Elvis all this time! Dang, I might have to get into religion if the KING is involved,

Thank you, thank you very much!

Paden

I'm curious if any theories regarding who authored the text have been forwarded. I read over some of the material on the National Geographic website, but didn't come across anything that addressed that question. Has anyone here read anything about the proposed authorship of the book?

"you mean it has been Elvis all this time"

Yes... Elvis... poor sad fat dead white guy who sucked all the life out of some very good black music so that it could be sold to other fat ugly white people in a form that didn't make them feel uncomfortable....

Used him up and spit him out.... they even burried him in the back-yard like he was the family dog....

Well, they did call him "King" didn't they.....

Poor guy.....

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"you mean it has been Elvis all this time"

Yes... Elvis... poor sad fat dead white guy who sucked all the life out of some very good black music so that it could be sold to other fat ugly white people in a form that didn't make them feel uncomfortable....

Used him up and spit him out.... they even burried him in the back-yard like he was the family dog....

Well, they did call him "King" didn't they.....

Poor guy.....

ahhhh . . . .but what great music some fo it was, and this is coming from a Chuck Berry guy! But, I am not an Elvis man, always more of a Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash guy, (I liked Lewis also, but i suppose you will say they are just other white guys with no soul 'ha")

indyt

ClintonHammond said:

I dont follow a religion. I have a relationship with Jesus Christ, and yes, He is over my life.

Always nice to hear from you CH!

If Buddy Holly hadn'ta been killed, no one would have ever heard of Elvis

"I dont follow a religion"
Ya... whatever... changing the 'name' doesn't change the condition......