Mutt Jones in Indiana Jones V

DoomsdayFAN

I hope they ditch Mutt altogether and don't mention him at all. The same as they never mentioned Marion again, or Willy.

Walecs

DoomsdayFAN said:
I hope they ditch Mutt altogether and don't mention him at all. The same as they never mentioned Marion again, or Willy.

Except Mutt is Indy's son, and there was no reason to mention Marion or Willy in The Last Crusade.

I hope they do mention what Mutt is up to in Indy 5, but I'd rather have him do one brief cameo or not have him at all.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding Mutt's relationship with gas guzzlers, in the 60s peak oil was just a theory and imports were a drop in the bucket.

curmudgeon

It's not a deal breaker for me either way.

I would prefer that they recast the role. If they reflect the 10+ years that have passed between movies, it would easy enough to cast a "grown up version" of Shia's teenage Mutt.

And in reflecting the 10+ years, I would hope that they allow the character to mature emotionally as well.

Be kind of sad if he was still a jittery greaser wannabe when it's the late 60's and he's pushing 30.

TheAdventurer

Honestly, I was kinda skeptical of Mutt in Indy 4, but at this point I know you can't just rewrite whats been done. And I do see a lot of potential with him for the franchise. While I think that it would be near impossible to replace Harrison Ford as Indy, its not as hard to replace Shia LaBeouf as Mutt. I think a new actor could really help the franchise out and possibly lead to a new era of adventure with Mutts character.

So in Indy 5 I think that you could have him in it with a smaller role, but when you look at how big his role was in Indy 4 its hard to just all of a sudden hand him a small role. So, I think that recasting the character would be a good idea and he could almost be the lead role with Indy as the mentor/Sean Connery role or at the very least a side kick with more character development. I think that a good replacement of Shia LaBeouf would be someone like Dave Franco or even Scott Eastwood. I know that would be a bit of a jump, but I would be really excited to see them develop that character further, just not with Shia LaBeouf as Mutt.

Glenville86

Recast the Mutt character with a more stable actor. A few out there have been mentioned as the possible new Indy in the future. Why not just make the new Mutt carry the torch after Harrison.

or

Make Mutts son the namesake of Indy and carry the torch. Bring the franchise to more modern times. Not sure if casting a new Indy and doing back in time movies is the best move. If you do back in time movies, they could do flashbacks with the New Indy in this movie and then the actor would be established with the old franchise.

Anyway - recast Mutt.

Udvarnoky

As far as I'm concerned, the opening shot should be a headstone carved roughly in the shape of the Paramount logo.

"Henry Jones, III. 1938 - 1958"

I can't think of a better way for Spielberg to set a tone of "Listen, we're sorry about last time." I wouldn't consider it in bad taste, either. If the series can write out Sean Connery with a framed promotional still, they can sure as hell write out Shia LaBeouf with a grave.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
As far as I'm concerned, the opening shot should be a headstone carved roughly in the shape of the Paramount logo.

I can't think of a better way for Spielberg to set a tone of "Listen, we're sorry about last time." I wouldn't consider it in bad taste, either. If the series can write out Sean Connery with a framed promotional still, they can sure as hell write out Shia LaBeouf with a grave.

Perhaps he's off coaching the US fencing team to Bronze or worse at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

Or maybe Tokyo, 1964?*

olympics15.jpg

*Very good chance this isn't an official period poster, though. It doesn't seem to be in keeping with the work of Yusaku Kamekura, who designed most of the official posters that can be found online. If it is period, one site suggests it might be the work of Kuriyagawa Kenichi

Pale Horse

Staff member
Always the professor. Disclaiming the authenticity of a historical piece posted on an ancient web page, frequented by drunk old men and dumber young ones, who probably wouldn't be bothered enough to even wonder if that's the case.

Love you bud. Like Sallah loves Indy.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:

An early contender for post of the year.

Well done, sir.

Kind of downer Mutt being dead. Marion being dead, leaving Indy alone again, would pull the heart strings in the right ways since we care about that character.

Edit: Never mind, that's too sad.

seasider

Even if Spielberg agreed with a lot of the rabid fanbase about Shia or the character of Mutt in general, I don't think he'd want to kill him off.

I think his character will be written out of the movie in some way so Indy is free to go on another adventure with different characters.

AndyLGR

seasider said:
Even if Spielberg agreed with a lot of the rabid fanbase about Shia or the character of Mutt in general, I don't think he'd want to kill him off.

I think his character will be written out of the movie in some way so Indy is free to go on another adventure with different characters.
I hope he is written out, I'd much prefer this over a recast. They shouldn't feel burdened by the baggage of KOTCS to include him in 5.

Indyfan82

I don't mind Shia LaBeouf doing a quick cameo as Mutt, but I honestly doubt it will happen. I'd be more interested in seeing Karen Allen cameo as Marion again, but I'm also okay with neither one showing up. If the movie's set in the early '60s, it's possible Mutt could be in school or maybe even graduated from college and off in Vietnam. That explanation would work well enough, if the character even needed to be mentioned. Another simple explanation could just be that the movie takes place with Indy off in another part of the world on a dig and his family just doesn't come up or is only mentioned and not seen.

Outofmyhouse

Yeah, killing off anybody like that is probably too....depressing? Out of tone? Mean-spirited? I don't know the right word to describe it, but something about rendering Mutt and/or Marion expendable doesn't seem right to me. (n)

I think it would be best to acknowledge Mutt's off-screen existence somehow. Maybe when Indy's stateside teaching, and it shows his house for whatever reason, have Marion finishing up a phone call with him or something. Just show he's out living his own life, which gets him out of the way without Shia coming back.