Le Saboteur

avatar-stephen-lang-coffee-mug.jpg

Fifty million years into the future and Marines are still wearing digital cammies? Crye Precision makes better looking camo today; hopefully it looks better on the big screen.

I'm in no particular hurry to see Avatar, but to those who've seen the picture, is it explained why The Powers That Be don't simply pull the plug on Worthington's life support, or otherwise end his shenanigans once he goes off message? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Dr. Gonzo

Le Saboteur said:
avatar-stephen-lang-coffee-mug.jpg

Fifty million years into the future and Marines are still wearing digital cammies? Crye Precision makes better looking camo today; hopefully it looks better on the big screen.

I'm in no particular hurry to see Avatar, but to those who've seen the picture, is it explained why The Powers That Be don't simply pull the plug on Worthington's life support, or otherwise end his shenanigans once he goes off message? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Yes... and the plug gets pulled a few times.

oki9Sedo

Saw Avatar on Wednesday.

I thought it was very good. The only real disappointment is that its a film, not the second coming of cinema, which one could be forgiven for expecting given the level of hype around this film and the technology used to make it.

Its actually a surprisingly sensitive and tender film. It has its big, powerful, emotional moments that are very characteristic of James Cameron's films, but it also has a lot of quieter moments that are quite affecting.

Nurhachi1991

Am I the only person that thinks the movie looks stupid? Everytime people bring it up in a conversation I just tell them it looks kind of dumb and than I get crap for it. People had no problem saying Indy IV was dumb

The Man

Nurhachi1991 said:
Am I the only person that thinks the movie looks stupid? Everytime people bring it up in a conversation I just tell them it looks kind of dumb and than I get crap for it. People had no problem saying Indy IV was dumb

Fighting sensations of meh...

Entertaining? Yes. Occasionally thrilling? True. But transcedent? Immersive? I didn't feel that. At least on a first view.

Oh, and do all 3-D specs come in an impossibly uncomfortable Roy Orbison style?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
Oh, and do all 3-D specs come in an impossibly uncomfortable Roy Orbison style?

Thanks. I'm going to have "Shahdaroba" stuck in my head for the rest of the night now.

Heh. Yeah, I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I've got a few other movies that are higher on my priority list.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
Thanks. I'm going to have "Shahdaroba" stuck in my head for the rest of the night now.

Welcome, A.T.P.

Actually, Pandora's national anthem should well be Blue Bayou.

Eric Solo

I thought AVATAR was very good. Amazing cinematic achievement. I thought the story was basically a sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves, but that's ok. I saw it in 2D. Cant wait to see it in IMAX 3D.

Mostly, the visual FX looked real. Mostly.

Last edited:

IndyFan89

Saw it today, very stale, drug out, and simply weird. This film was interesting but not memorable at all. This is not Cameron's "Star Wars" or a film to be defined by. The SFX was amazing, but other than that, just a cold stale film. :sleep:

kongisking

I got my eyeballs screwed this weekend.

If you have any respect for yourself as a human being, you will see AVATAR. Yes, it is that good. James Cameron, God bless his frickin? heart, has given us yet another mind-bomb of a film, an epic adventure that breaks new ground, pushes every envelope, all while exploring the human condition. And really, doesn?t all great science fiction do that?

I had the honor of seeing AVATAR in IMAX 3D, and you owe it to yourselves as movie fans to see this film in this format. To see it in any lesser form is an insult to everything Cameron and his team have worked so hard to give us. Seriously, AVATAR represents Cameron?s very soul. He uses the disguise of a *****in?, kick-ass war film as icing on a cake constructed of themes concerning imperialism, genocide, and racism. The images in this film will terrify you. Never have I been so butt-raped by sheer intensity in a film. But hey, maybe it just seemed so much more intense thanks to seeing it on IMAX (which really is the way the film is meant to be seen).

I tell you this now, Zoe Saldana will break your hearts as Neytiri, the noble, intelligent and, not to mention, smoking-hot Na?vi princess. Not since the mighty Kong himself have I seen a CG character with so much soul. If there is one thing that makes or breaks this movie, it would be Neytiri?s character, and damn, does she make it. Thanks to just how good she is, the action scenes involving her are all the more nail-biting. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes James Cameron tied with Peter Jackson for the honor of Most Freaking Awesome Director That Ever Existed Ever: he gives us characters that we become connected to on a deep, deep level. And when he lets loose the badassery, we care what happens to Jake, Norm, Grace, Neytiri, T'su-Tey and all the other blue-skinned kitties.

And, must I mention how monstrous Stephen Lang?s Colonel Quaritch is? Honestly, I can?t remember despising a character more in the past year. This guy bleeds ?despicable?. I wanted to see this bastard dead. DEAD, I tell you! It?s partly because of his giddy delight at watching the Na?vi?s Hometree blown to smithereens that the scene I am referencing here is so emotionally devastating. Never have I been hit so hard watching a tree fall over. A tree. Seriously.

Quaritch is sipping coffee as his men starts firing missiles by the dozen, with a sadistic delight that Michael Bay probably shares when replaying the dailies of his latest action flick in the editing room. If you never heard of Stephen Lang before this film, you sure as hell will not forget him by the time the credits roll. The final fight between Quaritch, in one of those badass mecha-suits, and Jake/Neytiri is so incredibly epic and stupendous, I wished I wasn?t quite so squeezed in between a bajillion other folks in the theater, because I would have stood up and cheered. Quaritch is far and away Villain Of The Year. His death* alone may be the single most rousing beat I?ve seen in any film of 2009 thus far.

Sam Worthington, oh, oh, what to say about Sam Worthington? I know a lot of you folks don?t like him, and you like to blame him for supposedly ?ruining? Terminator Salvation, but this is the film where he finally reaches, and surpasses, his potential. Jake Sully is a fantastic character. You go on this incredible journey with him. He becomes the audience?s own avatar, so to speak, while watching the film, and when he finally takes the leadership role and becomes possibly the most ass-kickingly heroic muther in the history of blue people, you will be there, roaring at his enemies with him.

Speaking of the action, just how hardcore is this film? Honestly, you will want to throw up after watching these scenes, they are that heart-stopping. If you cannot stand epic war scenes without losing your mind with action-movie-junkie delight, then go see AVATAR. Cameron does action like nobody?s business, and this film will remind all naysayers why James Cameron is such a big deal. I double-dog-dare you to watch this film without coming within an inch of a heart attack from witnessing the carnage on display here. I DARE YA.

And, as for the story? Yes, yes, it is true. The plot is about as original as the ?chicken crossed the road? joke. But frankly, I don?t give a damn, because it is executed so well. Dances With Aliens? So the hell be it, then. James Cameron does the ultimate Pocahantas retelling with his masterpiece, and seeing as how I am a strong defendant of native peoples and animals destroyed by the pillaging, destructive nature of the white man, I?m cool with that. If it?s too on-the-nose for some of you, and you cannot do anything other than play ?spot the precursor? while watching AVATAR (as Drew McWeeny over at HitFix so excellently put it), then you are completely missing the idea. Cameron DELIBERATELY stole from these tales, because as he puts it, AVATAR is his big, fat, gooey, mushy love letter to the science-fiction pulp genre in general.

I implore you, see AVATAR. See it as many times as you can, because I want more than anything right now (except, maybe, for us to get an Indiana Jones 5, but what the hey) to see Cameron complete his planned trilogy. I love this world, these characters, this universe. I want more, dammit! And I pray to Shiva that you too will realize the scope and scale of James Cameron?s incredible genius. Here?s to AVATAR, and a big-ass high five to Jim for making such an awesome movie.

*Please don?t complain about this, ahem, ?spoiler?. Did you honestly expect such a nasty monster as Quaritch to come out of this film alive? Think about it, guys?

The Man

kongisking said:
I got my eyeballs screwed this weekend.

If you have any respect for yourself as a human being, you will see AVATAR. Yes, it is that good. James Cameron, God bless his frickin? heart, has given us yet another mind-bomb of a film, an epic adventure that breaks new ground, pushes every envelope, all while exploring the human condition. And really, doesn?t all great science fiction do that?

I had the honor of seeing AVATAR in IMAX 3D, and you owe it to yourselves as movie fans to see this film in this format. To see it in any lesser form is an insult to everything Cameron and his team have worked so hard to give us. Seriously, AVATAR represents Cameron?s very soul. He uses the disguise of a *****in?, kick-ass war film as icing on a cake constructed of themes concerning imperialism, genocide, and racism. The images in this film will terrify you. Never have I been so butt-raped by sheer intensity in a film. But hey, maybe it just seemed so much more intense thanks to seeing it on IMAX (which really is the way the film is meant to be seen).

I tell you this now, Zoe Saldana will break your hearts as Neytiri, the noble, intelligent and, not to mention, smoking-hot Na?vi princess. Not since the mighty Kong himself have I seen a CG character with so much soul. If there is one thing that makes or breaks this movie, it would be Neytiri?s character, and damn, does she make it. Thanks to just how good she is, the action scenes involving her are all the more nail-biting. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes James Cameron tied with Peter Jackson for the honor of Most Freaking Awesome Director That Ever Existed Ever: he gives us characters that we become connected to on a deep, deep level. And when he lets loose the badassery, we care what happens to Jake, Norm, Grace, Neytiri, T'su-Tey and all the other blue-skinned kitties.

And, must I mention how monstrous Stephen Lang?s Colonel Quaritch is? Honestly, I can?t remember despising a character more in the past year. This guy bleeds ?despicable?. I wanted to see this bastard dead. DEAD, I tell you! It?s partly because of his giddy delight at watching the Na?vi?s Hometree blown to smithereens that the scene I am referencing here is so emotionally devastating. Never have I been hit so hard watching a tree fall over. A tree. Seriously.

Quaritch is sipping coffee as his men starts firing missiles by the dozen, with a sadistic delight that Michael Bay probably shares when replaying the dailies of his latest action flick in the editing room. If you never heard of Stephen Lang before this film, you sure as hell will not forget him by the time the credits roll. The final fight between Quaritch, in one of those badass mecha-suits, and Jake/Neytiri is so incredibly epic and stupendous, I wished I wasn?t quite so squeezed in between a bajillion other folks in the theater, because I would have stood up and cheered. Quaritch is far and away Villain Of The Year. His death* alone may be the single most rousing beat I?ve seen in any film of 2009 thus far.

Sam Worthington, oh, oh, what to say about Sam Worthington? I know a lot of you folks don?t like him, and you like to blame him for supposedly ?ruining? Terminator Salvation, but this is the film where he finally reaches, and surpasses, his potential. Jake Sully is a fantastic character. You go on this incredible journey with him. He becomes the audience?s own avatar, so to speak, while watching the film, and when he finally takes the leadership role and becomes possibly the most ass-kickingly heroic muther in the history of blue people, you will be there, roaring at his enemies with him.

Speaking of the action, just how hardcore is this film? Honestly, you will want to throw up after watching these scenes, they are that heart-stopping. If you cannot stand epic war scenes without losing your mind with action-movie-junkie delight, then go see AVATAR. Cameron does action like nobody?s business, and this film will remind all naysayers why James Cameron is such a big deal. I double-dog-dare you to watch this film without coming within an inch of a heart attack from witnessing the carnage on display here. I DARE YA.

And, as for the story? Yes, yes, it is true. The plot is about as original as the ?chicken crossed the road? joke. But frankly, I don?t give a damn, because it is executed so well. Dances With Aliens? So the hell be it, then. James Cameron does the ultimate Pocahantas retelling with his masterpiece, and seeing as how I am a strong defendant of native peoples and animals destroyed by the pillaging, destructive nature of the white man, I?m cool with that. If it?s too on-the-nose for some of you, and you cannot do anything other than play ?spot the precursor? while watching AVATAR (as Drew McWeeny over at HitFix so excellently put it), then you are completely missing the idea. Cameron DELIBERATELY stole from these tales, because as he puts it, AVATAR is his big, fat, gooey, mushy love letter to the science-fiction pulp genre in general.

I implore you, see AVATAR. See it as many times as you can, because I want more than anything right now (except, maybe, for us to get an Indiana Jones 5, but what the hey) to see Cameron complete his planned trilogy. I love this world, these characters, this universe. I want more, dammit! And I pray to Shiva that you too will realize the scope and scale of James Cameron?s incredible genius. Here?s to AVATAR, and a big-ass high five to Jim for making such an awesome movie.

*Please don?t complain about this, ahem, ?spoiler?. Did you honestly expect such a nasty monster as Quaritch to come out of this film alive? Think about it, guys?

In your dreams, young Kong, where would you rather visit: Pandora or Skull Island?

kongisking

The Man said:
In your dreams, young Kong, where would you rather visit: Pandora or Skull Island?

As Hellboy says, "Aw, crap..." Really tough question! I guess I'd have to say Pandora...at least there the natives are relatively friendly. And plus, what I'd give to meet Neytiri...:D

oki9Sedo

I must say, I'm sick and tired of futuristic sci-fi films set in post-apocalyptic worlds like Terminator: Salvation. It was very refreshing to see one set in a really beautiful, idyllic world instead!

AndyLGR

I saw this today in 3d and I was blown away by it.

Visually stunning, arguably the most visually stunning movie ever?? It totally immerses you in the world of Pandora, the plants, the creatures, the natives, everything drew me into the movie and had me hooked.

Granted the story is simplistic, and yes they do the usual Hollywood cliche of setting up certain scenes way before they happen, (like you just know they will use the attempted reviving at the sacred tree later or that Jake will get to ride the huge dragon), but I thought its overall execution was fantastic.

Its may be an odd thing to say, but the performaces from the CGI characters were brilliant.

The Colonel made for a great bad guy too.

Overall this is one of those films you must see and its a film with a heart too.

TheMutt92

Cameron's king of the world... twice! :p

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/03...r-passes-1-billion-worldwide-in-just-17-days/

Remember a month ago when we were having conversations questioning if Avatar was going to earn its money back? If they film could cross $600 million worldwide? Would the movie be a success? Would audiences really go see this movie with ten foot tall blue cat people?

James Cameron?s Avatar has crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office in just 17 days, surpassing Christopher Nolan?s The Dark Knight to become #4 of all time. By the end of the week, the film is expected to surpass Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man?s Chest and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King to become the #2 worldwide release of all time. Of course, for now, Cameron?s Titanic remains seated at #1. James Cameron has become the first director to have two films earn $1 Billion. And by the end of the week, it should be up to $3 billion total between the two movies.

TheMutt92

The Man said:
I still don't quite care for Avatar, having seen it a second time, but...it would be quite remarkable for the same director to top his own movie as all-time top money-muncher. But could it surpass Titanic?

While possible, I suppose, Titanic's final gross was about $1,842,880,055. That's about as close to two billion as I think we'll see (that is, unless Avatar proves to be unstoppable).

I liked it more than most people I know. The effects and 3D is definitely what its got going for itself. But personally, I didn't mind the 'cliched' story. I saw it more as a retelling in the way that Star Wars is. Both have elements you could find in any sci-fi/western/action/adventure story, but they put their own spin on it either visually or in terms of storytelling (Jake's journal, the concept of the Avatars, etc.).