America's Stonehenge

Paden

Although I?m fascinated with the fields of history and archaeology, I have to confess that, with all of my professional and personal obligations, I only get the chance to do some reading on these subjects occasionally. While doing some reading into archaeological finds where some mystery is still strongly attached, I came across references to Mystery Hill, now more popularly known as America?s Stonehenge, in southeastern New Hampshire. This is a really fascinating site, the chambers and observatory constructions among the oldest (if not the oldest) man-made structures in North America. Especially interesting are the tablets of Phoenician and Celtic origin that have been discovered there, and place some question on who the first Europeans to reach North American shores were.

The official site for America's Stonehenge is here. Of particular interest is a timeline of major discoveries and events related to the site. I've also run across a book that I'm planning to purchase once my paycheck arrives in a few days.

I found the whole thing quite interesting, and wanted to pass along the information to others here.

Caitlin

I've been meaning to check it out sometime...its pretty close to where I live. There is actually ALOT of that kind of stuff here in New England, although it does seem stange when you think about it. Ever hear of Fred Tuttle? Man with a Plan? Anyway he was (RIP Freddy!) this old Vermont farmer that was in a couple of movies by John O'Brian and a "neighbor" of mine. There are all kinds of interesting stones and markers all over his farm. Another friend of mine pointed out two (manmade?) caves to me that line up with the sun or something at the solstice. They are on opposite sides of a nearby valley. Either its a wicked coincidence..or it was definately used for some kind of rite/calender/somthingoranother.

This is another really neat book you'd like.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1567183573/104-8870475-7179152?v=glance

" artifacts found on the site lead many mainstream archaeologists to think that the stones were assembled for various reasons by farmers in the 18th and 19th centuries. For example, a much-discussed "sacrifical stone," which contains grooves that some say channeled blood, looks very much like "lye-leaching stones" found on many old farms."

"The site's history is muddled partly because of William Goodwin... He moved a lot of the stones around to support his idea, and the current owners, the America's Stonehenge Foundation, say his efforts are "one of the reasons the enigma of Mystery Hill is so deep"."

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/America's-Stonehenge

I'll be my last buck that it's got NOTHING to do with "Celts"....

Wanna see real evidence of Pre-Columbus Europeans? Visit Lanse Aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland... :)

Paden

I knew that Goodwin had been the major proponent of the Celtic idea, having put forth the theory that Mystery Hill had been once populated by Culdee Monks, and having adamantly defended his thoery/belief against dissenters throughout his lifetime. I wasn't aware that he had altered the stone layout to support his theories (that's good science :p ). Thanks for passing that information along.

I am still curious to read more about the tablets discovered by Barry Fell in 1975 and the study of the stone alignments done by astronomer Louis Winkler in 1998. It makes for an interesting mystery, even if some, or all, of it was a hoax. So much reading to do, so little time...

No doubt Paden, that it's very interesting reading.. but Eric Von Dannikin was interesting reading too.. That didn't help his theories be any less full of shot...

:)

Rick5150

America's Stonehenge is 14 miles away from my house and I pass it virtually every weekday. I have been there a couple of times and it was not extremely exciting by any stretch of the imagination - especially when you go with two young children who do not want to be there. It is interesting however and one thing that always bothered me was the fact that before anyone really knew what America's Stonehenge was, the large granite stones were removed and brought to Lawrence, MA for use in the foundations for the mills. I believe this was in the late 1800's-early 1900's. There are many mills in Lawrence too. Nobody really knows what this site could have been because of this.

When you are actually standing there with numbered signs and arrows showing you what to look for, it is amazing enough, but keep in mind that people discovering Mystery Hill had to do so by making the association of all these rocks and structures while they were surrounded by trees and underbrush. By the time they realized they were onto an important archaeological puzzle, half of the pieces were missing.

The two best features there are the sacrificial stone and the oracle chamber with the speaking tube. As you stand above the sacrificial stone with the carved drain around it's perimeter, you can almost feel a vibe from the past as unknown rituals were taking place. Eerie...

Paden

A tip of the hat to ClintonHammond

I've got to give credit to Clinton for inspiring me to do some deeper digging about the Mystery Hill site. The initial revelation that stones had been moved around by the site's former owner, William Goodwin, certainly gives one pause about the validity of Goodwin's conclusions about the area, as well as some of those that followed. What I still had curiousity about were the tablets found at the site that had puportedly contained inscriptions of Celtic and Phoenecian origin.

As it turns out, the individual responsible for the "translation" of those tablets, Dr. Barry Fell, has been at the center of a great deal of academic controversy. Fell, a marine biologist, was the author of America B.C.. The conclusions drawn by Fell in that book have been widely challenged by archaeologists and linguists. Although I've yet to find any direct criticism regarding Fell's conclusions about the inscriptions at Mystery Hill, I was able to find an eye-opening series of articles by the Council for West Virginia Archaeology regarding the "translation" Fell performed on a set of inscriptions discovered in southern portion of that state, which he claimed were Celtic in origin. While the curious can read the articles for themselves, the short form is that Fell's conclusions have been demonstrated by archaeologists and, in particular, experts on Celtic linguistics, as baseless. This information was enough to convince me that Fell's "findings" at Mystery Hill were equally baseless. Although evidence of fire pits and pottery have been discovered at the site, my presumption is that those remnants, as well as any genuine inscriptions, came from Native American cultures that once populated the area.

So, thanks to Clinton for keeping me from burning valuable time on smoke and mirrors. :)

Celts and Vikings are two wholly different groups

'Celts' were stone and iron age people from main-land europe and what is currently called The British Isles... they were made pretty much extinct except for a few isolated pockets of recessive genes by subsequent waves in immigrants

"Vikings" came MUCH later... "Dark Age" to early medieval... Their 'popular' period is usually accepted to start with the sacking of the church at Lindisfarne in 793 and end when the Greenland settlement died out... (Some say it ended when the Normans invaded England in 1066, but the Normans were just 'Vikings" who'd grown up in France) There is GOOD evidence to show that 'Vikings' had at least some kind of settlement in Northern Newfoundland, somewhere around 1000 AD... If there's evidence of them elsewhere in North America, we haven't found it yet...

Tennessee R

I have been there. In '03, probably around June, on my trip to New Hampshire to get my training for Sub-Surface Radar certificate, I was able to see this. I had hardly ever been that far north, and it just so happens that the time we were there, it was very hot. I've heard that that's a little unusual. Well, while learning the Radar operations on a gravesite where they had tombstones marking (I Believe) 1766, perspiring freely, found the time to go, and while the solar, and other patterns were interesting, we could find little resemblance in the stone inscriptions hi-lighted and the actual stones with some faint marks. I do believe that the site was significant, but the inscriptions were a bit on the weak side for evidence.

However, there are Celtic and Rune, and what appears to be something of Hebrew, in Kentucky, in the Daniel Boone National Forest, in a cave back in the woods, in an area that the probability of finding people with the ancient language education is rare.

In addition, to disprove the theory of some modern educated man scratching these inscriptions in the stone for no reason, There are pagan symbols of fertility goddess worship in stones, with lines that line up with some of the equinoxes, not now, but back in a much older time.

So, there are celtic and Rune type inscriptions in multiple locations, one is now in a very public place, on large boulder that was moved, and it is plain that this is not an "America's Stonehenge" type of inscription, but a much clearer inscription, plainly visible.

Mr. Burtrum (sp?) had Barry Fell analyze this, and it is documented.

We trekked through the snow, in the Baniel Boone Natl. Foest, and came

Last edited:
"Daniel Boone National Forest"

Without even having to look for more information, I dismiss this as blatherskite...

There is ONE authentic "Viking" settlement in North America... and NOT a SINGLE "Celtic" ONE at all...

For one, the "Celts" had no written language... For 2 there's no evidence that any "Vikings" made it very far inland when they were over here, and given their penchant for writing stuff down, they would have recorded such a venture....

Johan

Gimli Manitoba was a Viking Settlement. We even have a Viking fest every year! Of course they likely travelled from the north down Hudsons bay, down rivers to Lake Winnipeg.

Tennessee R

Respectfully, I must question why you don't even need to look at the evidence to make your decision on whether or not it's blatherskite?

I know nothing about the Vikings, that would have to be left for others more knowlegeable about the subject, like yourself.

But, There are Celtic (How do you usually pronounce it? I sometimes use Keltik), Rune (Is it possible I have the spelling wrong on that) type inscriptions on these stones. One is the Norse tree of Odin, there are some inscriptions for Beltane, Baal, etc, and there are even some that appear a type of Hebrew (But, for now let's just stay away from that).

By the way, was Gimli Manitoba (As Johan mentioned) the one Viking Settlement you were referring to?

Lanse Aux Meadows in Northern Newfoundland is the ONLY "authenticated" Viking site in North America... Knowing that fact is how I can dismiss the claim above as blatherskite... I might only be an 'armchair' historian and archaeologist, but if there had been a new discovery that authenticated any real "Celtic" presence in North America, I would have heard about it before hearing about it here...

"Keltic" (Hard "C") is the proper pronunciation if you're talking about the Stone-Iron age people who lived in island and main-land Europe... "Seltic" (Soft "C" or "S" sound") is the basketball team... :)

The stuff in Gimli is from the Icelandic Immigration in the 1870s... 800 years after the end of the so called "Viking Age"... Big difference between That Immigration and "Vikings", no matter what you call the local high school basketball team... I might even in joking refer to myself as a "VInlander" (a descendant of Scandinavia, living in North America) but I know it's NOT the case...

Within the continental United States, there are no pyramids or great stone circles. Surprisingly, the most impressive STONE site in America was built in the 20th Century. Coral Castle, near Homestead Florida, is a mind-blowing mystery. It has been called 'the 8th Wonder of the World.' This 'engineering marvel' contains over 1100 tons of cut and trimmed, dense, coral blocks. The interlocking stones form a castle that were set in place without mortar. Twenty-five miles from Miami, these elegantly carved stones have astronomical alignments.

What amplifies the enigma is that Coral Castle was built SINGLE-HANDEDLY by a small, sickly man named Edward Leedskalnin. Ed only weighed 100 pounds and stood no more than 5 feet tall. How could such a small man, alone and without any equipment, have accomplished this engineering feat? Over 3 million pounds of rock were cut, lifted, transported and set with incredible precision?

In 1919, a young Leedskalnin searched remote areas in Florida for a particular spot of land. He had advanced tuberculosis and was nursed to health by a Mr. Moser and his family. Soon, Ed recovered. He rode his bike and eventually found the place he was looking for. Ed picked the worst acre of land in the state. It was solid bedrock; nothing could grow on it. Mr. Moser gladly gave Ed the land. Later, the Mosers could not believe their eyes. Little Ed had cut and lifted a 10 ton block right out of the bedrock.

Modern engineers were asked: What would it take, with large diamond tools and state of the art machinery, to duplicate Coral Castle? Their answer was: 'It couldn't be done.'

Ed was asked: How did you do it? He would reply: 'It's not difficult, really. The secret is in knowing how.' He was asked: Why did you do it? 'Someday, my Sweet 16 will come,' was always his response.

The hermit constructed his castle in tribute to his Sweet 16. Curious locals came to see what Ed was doing. Leedskalnin had a sixth sense and knew when neighbors approached. He stopped work every time. No one ever saw exactly how the stones were cut and moved. There were a few reports that the rocks moved themselves. (There are similar legends about Easter Island; that the statues moved themselves).

In the 1930s, a gang of thugs thought Ed had hidden riches. They beat him up and tried to rob him. Ed was shocked at this invasion into his private world. The attack motivated Leedskalnin to move Coral Castle! He picked up every megalith (some stones weighed up to 30 tons) and transported his entire castle. He hired a local trucker, but the driver was always directed to look away as Ed loaded the truck. All 3 million pounds of hard coral was moved 10 miles to its present location near Homestead Florida.

Coral Castle took 28 years to complete. Sixty years ago, Ed Leedskalnin would have taken you on a guided tour and only charged you 10 cents. Each piece of his wonderful rock garden would have been explained...with the exception of precisely how it was levitated.

The inspiration for all of Ed's efforts was his Sweet 16. Billy Idol even wrote a song pertaining to this 'lost love.' If you go to Internet sites on C.C., headlines read: 'ONE MAN'S MONUMENT TO UNREQUITED LOVE.' When Ed was 26, Agnes Scuffs rejected him one day before they were to be married. But, she might not have been the real Sweet 16. When asked about Sweet 16, Ed would look to the sky with a glazed expression on his face.

Coral Castle contains amazing stone towers in harmony with nature; the sun; the Moon and the planets. A huge, 9-ton rock that functions as a door is perfectly balanced. One push from a small child can open it. Children are known to be particularly attracted to the castle in the same way they are fond of dinosaurs. Ed shared their same sense of playfulness.

How did Ed construct Coral Castle? The little man only had a fourth grade education back in Latvia. Yet, he possessed the secret of anti-gravity! Ed was very intelligent and a skilled electrical engineer. He experimented with electromagnetism. Leedskalnin demonstrated to neighbors his strange machines. He was able to generate his own electricity. Ed wrote a total of 5 pamphlets; one called 'Magnetic Current' is as incomprehensible as Einstein's Unified Field Theory. He admitted that he could produce anti-gravity and knew how the ancient pyramids were built.

When Ed lifted the many-ton stones onto the truck away from the driver's view...this probably was done with a small (hand-held) device that created a strong, magnetic field. The apparatus, on the order of a tuning fork, might have vibrated at just the right frequency.

If you see photos of Ed Leedskalnin, you will notice a physical resemblance to Nikola Tesla. He was a small version of Tesla. There are many parallels between the two: Each were thin; had similar faces with drawn-in cheeks; each were European immigrants; they experimented with electromagnetism; each were obsessed with celestial bodies and often seen in formal suits. Were they related? Leedskalnin was a bit younger than Tesla. Tesla said that anti-gravity can be created by a 'rotating magnetic field.' Also, Ed's idea of a special land conducive for his purposes is not different than the Tesla/Matthews concept that the energy is already in the ground; waiting for someone to tap into it. There is no known connection to these two mystery men. But, the similarities are too coincidental to doubt.

Bruce Cathie is a researcher who also has a world map of harmonic grid points. {His map has many more components that my 13-point map. Looking at his map, many of our locations coincide}. He believes that the 'special land' that Leedskalnin searched for and found was positioned on one of these EM vortexes. These power-point, ley lines could have made possible the construction of Coral Castle.

In 1980, a home movie was discovered at C.C. that shows an animated Ed. He was a simple man for all of his advanced intelligence. His neighbors knew him as a kind and gentle soul. In 1951, he died at the age of 64 from malnutrition. Was Sweet 16 a female alien from Venus? Is he with her now?

One final note: A plaque was found in Ed's bedroom. It read: THE SECRET TO THE UNIVERSE IS 7129 / 6105195. To those of you interested in deciphering this additional mystery: Good Luck!

Tennessee R

Thanks, ClintonHammond.

And to Gladhatter, I heard about the Coral Castle for the first time in my life (At least that I can remember) earlier today when I was curating at the museum, showing the most sensible method for lifting the pyramids, and someone brought up the Coral Castle.

Quite a feat the little man pulled off I have studied some about him over the years. That was just a paste I never read it. But he wrote some books as well on magnatism. Some scientist of late have taken him seriously and are now thinking they can duplicate his feats in soon time.