Your favorite continuity error in the trilogy?

NoCamels

Stoo said:
What is the tell-tale clue that distinguishes the two horses? I am curious since the tank-chase horse,
Hurricane, is apparently the same one that S.P.Flanery rode in "Curse of the Jackal" during the pursuit
across the Mexican border. (You probably know this already...)

Actually, I didn't know that! So I just watched that episode and the end of Last Crusade again, and I do think you're right.

Indy's horse in Petra is an Arabian or Arabian-type breed of horse. It has much finer features and a dished profile to it's face. In the tank chase, the horse has a straighter profile to it's nose and is definetly not an Arabian, although I have no clue what breed it is. This was my original reasoning as to why it's two different horses. (Plus, there's no need to truck a stunt horse to Jordan. A solid black horse is fairly easy to match, and most viewers won't notice.)

As I was double-checking, though, I noticed that the tank chase horse has a light spot on it's lower lip, as if it has a white marking on it's nose that has been dyed black but they couldn't dye the horse's lip. (I also noticed for the first time that when Indy and Sallah are arguing about the camels where there is briefly a white spot on the horse's nose that they forgot to color.)

Then I watched "Curse of the Jackal" to compare. Indy's horse has a white blaze on it's face that extends down to it's lower lip. It has a similar build and the same wavy mane and tail. Dyeing that blaze black would be very easy and would give you the same problem with having to leave the lip white. So I'm pretty sure that it is the same horse, Hurricane. (Thanks for pointing that out! (y) )

Another continuity error in the tank chase that I just figured out: Indy originally steals two black horses, one dark brown, and one bay, and Sallah has a chestnut horse with a star. In Petra, Indy has a black horse, Sallah has a chestnut with a stripe, Henry has a chestnut with a star, and Marcus has a black or dark brown horse. (So I guess Henry got Sallah's horse, they lost one horse, and one changed color?)

(And yes, I was the kid who asked for a horse/riding lessons/toy horses for every birthday and Christmas....:p I still can't watch movies without critiquing the actor's riding ability. Harrison Ford appears to be a pretty good rider, although the movie cuts fast enough that it's hard to tell for sure. He's definetly better than Mel Gibson, but I'm not sure how close he is to Viggo Mortensen ;) )

Kooshmeister

The magic hat of the German soldier who gets knocked onto the tank treads in Last Crusade is good. When he first falls onto the treads, his hat falls on the back of the tank behind him, but then when it cuts to him going over, his hat has teleported and is now on the tread in front of him and precedes him in getting smushed.

Also, Gobler's goggles during the truck chase in Raiders. In closeups they're down over his eyes. In a lot of the long shots, however, they're up on his hat. This also applies to his two passengers.

bonoferox

The disappearance / reappearance of Willie's shoes after the minecar and onto the bridge. Or the number times Indy's whip seems to coil itself back onto its holster by itself.

Ignatius Stone

Attila the Professor said:
Agreed. That's my pick. Though, conceivably, he could have been doing a funny "unflappable British explorer" voice when he said "oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie!"

Interestingly, the "Creepy Crawlies" doc on the newest Temple of Doom DVD contains that clip from Raiders, with an alternate dialogue dub for that very line. In that clip, both Jock's lines are delivered in an American accent.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
how did Satipo die anyway? wasnt forrestals body with the spikes already out? where there more than one light trap

I think there may be one on each side. If you're coming into the temple, Forrestal got the one on the left, and Sapito the one on the right. I think Infernal Machine rendered it with spikes on each side, though, in that case, Forrestal's bones had ended up on the floor by '47. Unclear. Sapito does seem to have been on Indy's left, though, when he was escaping.

Indy's brother

bonoferox said:
Or the number times Indy's whip seems to coil itself back onto its holster by itself.

Yeah, my favorite continuity screw up is in the final version of the "cairo swordsman" where his whip goes from the right hand to the left hand, and the his gun magically appears in his right hand. It almost looks like he's switching the stuff in his hands offscreen, but once you know how the final cut was pieced together (from the deleted scene), you know the truth. It's my favorite because of how well it was executed:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAoJrNbgUoI&feature=related

Raider Indy

Indy takes a dirt shower while on the side of the tank in LC...yet when he comes back swinging at Vogel all of the aforementioned dirt is gone.

AndyLGR

In TOD Indy encounters the 2 Thuggee guards and we get the ROTLA gun gag , minus the gun of course, so instead he fights them and picks up a sword off the floor and chases them away. I always wondered where did the sword come from as the sword went over the cliff when he whipped it out of the guards hand :whip:

Coronado

GlasgowChivas said:
Indy rolling of the tank tread onto the cannon barrel - and then his bag hooking onto it a moment later - which would have only been possible if he had went beyond the end of the barrel and then back again

Seconded! That's my all-time favourite too. :gun:

The_Raiders said:
Oh yeah this sin't an error, but since I mentoned noticing things, has anyone ever noticed acertain scream in every Lucas film, it's in every star wars and Indy movie, you'll know it when you hear it. ANd it's in several other movies as well.

Check out this awesome YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio

-Coronado

When Jones Sr enters the tank, only Brody is inside. Then, two of Vogel's men, followed by the Standartenführer himself enter the tank. After his leather glove-slapping is interrupted by Henry and Donovan's announcement that the other Jones "is getting away", the enraged SS-officer closes his tank's hatch. During the next interior shot of the tank, a Hatay driver and a side gunner have magically appeared.

Ajax the Great

I like the bag continuity problems in ToD and LC. I also really like the ketchup and mustard bottles in the CS Diner, for some reason. Mutt stands up angry and the table shakes, but the ketchup and mustard bottles don't fall over. Then the angle switches and you see Indy picking up the fallen bottles. I don't know why I like that so much.

Has anybody noticed Indy's shirt in the CS opening? It alternates between tucked and untucked.

Webley

In Raider when Indy gets in to the cab of the truck that is carrying the Ark and he is fighting the driver for the steering wheel you see the roof rack on the truck get broken and gust seconds later you see it fixed:confused:

Ajax the Great

I like the blood on the Nazi's fist when he's punching Indy's bullet wound. It keeps disappearing.

Also, in the ToD opener, Shorty hits that human taxi and pushes it along. There's a sailor and a woman in the taxi and they keep switching places. It's fun trying to keep track of it and follow the switches.

DocWhiskey

Not continuity error,

but I always loved the bouncing block when Indy and Marion get out of the well of souls. Followed by the unconscious guy randomly slumped over in one shot from the deleted scene.

indyclone25

my favorite is when mola ram is standing next to the idol before he escapes throught the hatch he takes off his headress and then we see indy chase after him he has it on and the its off again as he escapes

RedeemedChild

It's not really a continuity error but I was expecting to see Marion continue to be by Dr. Jones side in every film after Raiders of the Lost Ark the way Benjamin Gates female companion is by his side in NT: Book of Secrets and is projected to be in National Treasure 3.