Nascar, more Class than F1?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Well, last time I checked, America was a whole continent and not a single country ;)

Well, really, last time I checked, it was two...though I think the use of "American" in reference to the United States is pretty well established.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Well, really, last time I checked, it was two...though I think the use of "American" in reference to the United States is pretty well established.
Only for the last 100 years (Panama Canal) but, yeah, it's obvious that "U.S. of A." was the intention here...

roundshort said:
I just want to get past Montreal!
NEVER!!! Habs all the way!:whip:

Kingsley

Attila the Professor said:
Is it really considered as two separate continets there? Is the building of an artificial canal a cause for rearranging the geographical established knowledge? I'm asking genuinely curious, because what I've learned and heard always deals with five continents:
  • America
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • Oceania

and you can put Antarctica as a sixth...

And I understand the use of "America" as en established reference to the United States.
But it can confuse when you are speaking about other countries too. I consider myself an american too... and I was born 10.000 kms far from the US.
Far from Nascar, and far from the F1 too ;)

Finn

Staff member
Kingsley said:
I'm asking genuinely curious, because what I've learned and heard always deals with five continents:
  • America
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • Oceania

and you can put Antarctica as a sixth...
You're mixing up continent and geographical mainland.

Geographical mainlands:
  • America
  • Eurasia
  • Australia
  • Africa
  • Antarctica

Continents:
  • North America
  • South America
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • Oceania

Clear as day, isn't it?

Kingsley

Well, here in Argentina our Geographie books tell us that America is a continent, and it can be subdivided in subcontinents (northamerica, central america, and southamerica). And it sounds logical to me.

I always heard about 5 continents (never 6, and if, it was because antarctica)... I try to remember references outside my country pointing to any position, and its always America as a unity... 5 rings in the olympics :rolleyes:

Internet should have an answer, but it seems its not so clear there either:

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Continental_models.gif

to stay on topic... :p

593102.jpg

NASCAR_6968.gif

Finn

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Well, here in Argentina our Geographie books tell us that America is a continent, and it can be subdivided in subcontinents (northamerica, central america, and southamerica). And it sounds logical to me.
Sounds like somebody's got a "little brother" syndrome.

Anyway, in my schoolbooks they presented it the way I did, so that there're either large landmasses that can be called "continents" (at which point there is not a divider between the Americas and Europe & Asia neither) or in that other way, when America is divided into North & South.

Kingsley

Finn said:
Sounds like somebody's got a "little brother" syndrome.
You are right about that :)
4 posts trying to make my point in such a minor thing, well, it's just like asking why north is depicted above south if the universe hasn't top nor bottom :p