Should've been more like National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code

Dovchenko said:
It's funny because when most fans see a film like "National Treasure" they say it's a lame rip-off of Indy. Now there fans asking for Indy to be like his lame rip-off counterparts!:(

Sad isn't it? When a lame Indy ripoff is better than the movie it rips off you know it's a shambles.

Kernunnos

For Petes sakes. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull urinates all over National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code from a great height.

Perhilion

jasperjones said:
Skull felt exactly like an Indiana Jones movie to me.
For Petes sakes. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull urinates all over National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code from a great height.
Thank you. Really, this is getting ridiculous. Anyone who thinks National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code is better than KotCS needs to get a life. Even if you didn't like the movie, it was in no way that bad, so stop whining, sulking and moaning and get over it.

MolaRam2

Avilos said:
Your completely contradicting yourself! How was ToD very different from Raiders "But Still Indy like" but KotCS not?? Each film in the series has some similarities to what has come before but many more differences. All there was to judge a Indy film by before ToD was Raiders. By the "Raiders style" ToD was not "Indy like" either! But they wisely expanded what was possible for the character with each film. Thats what is great about Indiana Jones. Variety. Otherwise we would have seen -

Raiders II and Raiders III and Raiders IV!

Like many other movie series.

Some of you think that if you repeat these vague, meaningless attacks at the movie over and over gain - They will become facts! But you forget that there are people who are going to challenge your nonsense.

ToD continued Raiders' spirit of adventure, danger, exotic locales, and high peril. KOTCS is a parody of the original trilogy.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've been reading the 2005 Dan Brown Witness Statement from the Random House trial brought forth by the Holy Blood, Holy Grail authors (they lost). Excellent insight into crafting an adventure story. Brown created a character (named after the claimants) to make Langdon more of a fence sitter, in the film he was even more so an Indyesque skeptic:
I needed to create a character who could say some of the more farfetched and controversial things that I initially had Langdon saying. I wanted to preserve the integrity of my protagonist. I wanted Langdon to be able to stand back, raise questions and play devil's advocate a little, and also fill in some history.
In the Indy 4 scripts, the alien reveal was presented earlier and later before landing in the middle. Partway through writing, Brown removed most of the masonic elements for another book, but passed on aliens:
Rule by Secrecy was published in 2000, and The Secret Teachings of All Ages in October 2003. My recollection is that I read Rule by Secrecy in Conway one summer and liked it a lot, but hated the conclusion about aliens, which I thought was somewhat silly.
His books are rather formulaic: "a murder, a chase through foreign locations, the action taking place all in 24 hours, a code a ticking clock, strong male and female characters, and a love interest." But "the hard part of writing a novel is not the ideas but rather the nuts and bolts of the plot and language and making it all work."
One challenge when presenting the reader with a complicated code is to control the flow of information so the overall mystery is not overwhelming. Finding a plot device that enables me to dole out information in bite size pieces is helpful.
Especially in film, you need a subordinate to receive this information...
One of my favourite ways in which to share information with a reader is to have Langdon give an "academic lecture" on the topic.
And that's where Shia comes in. Most were spoiled before viewing Crystal Skull, but the lectures hold up pretty well in retrospect or to the uninitiated.

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
His books are rather formulaic: "a murder, a chase through foreign locations, the action taking place all in 24 hours, a code a ticking clock, strong male and female characters, and a love interest." But "the hard part of writing a novel is not the ideas but rather the nuts and bolts of the plot and language and making it all work."
Then there's the freak killer, and a father figure who's either dead or otherwise in predicament who more or less seems to act as the whole shebang's motivation, not so much the actual MacGuffin... Mr. Brown truly is an author after Shakespearean virtue.

OmegaSeamaster

Kernunnos said:

Sadly, I put National Treasure and Da Vinci Code over KOTCS. UFOs in an Indy movie and having a guy survive nuclear bombs was like the kiss of death for the film.

Forbidden Eye

I don't think Kingdom "should've been more like" National Treasure of The Da Vinci Code. If anything, the movie was too similar to those films. Have to admit that the first time I saw Indy 4 and they see the treasure right before the alien chamber, I did get a sense of deja vu from the National Treasure movies as the way those scenes were filmed/written were rather similar.

Still, I do feel Indy 4 was better than those films for one big reason: Indiana Jones. I cared about Indiana Jones, what happened to him and how he would eventually overcome the perils against him. One thing I felt National Treasure, Lara Croft etc. were severely lacking in were interesting characters you could emotionally invest in.

Maybe my investment in Indiana Jones was inherited from the previous films, maybe it was Ford's strong performance showing us he still had it, whatever the reason was I cared far more about Indiana Jones, even after all these years, than I ever did for Benjamin Gates.