Treasure hunters may have found the Amber Room

Travis85

You can find news stories about it around the net, but here is just one I dug up http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/FOREIGN/404642625/-1/RSS_WORLD. It says that it may have been located in Germany. The amber room was supposedly some kind of room with lots of gold built by the Prussians and was later looted and stolen by the Nazis. It remains unaccounted for, but rumor has it that it was buried by the Nazis when they realized they were going to lose the war.

metalinvader

Pretty cool! This caught my eye..

"We have not entered the vault yet because we think it may have been booby-trapped. We don't want any mines to blow up, and we need expert help," Deutschneudorf Mayor Heinz-Peter Haustein told The Washington Times.

Mines? I'd be more worried about giant rolling boulders!:p

Travis85

A treasure that may have been buried by Nazis and guarded by booby traps :) I think they could use Indiana Jones.

otto rahn

Travis85 said:
You can find news stories about it around the net, but here is just one I dug up http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/FOREIGN/404642625/-1/RSS_WORLD. It says that it may have been located in Germany. The amber room was supposedly some kind of room with lots of gold built by the Prussians and was later looted and stolen by the Nazis. It remains unaccounted for, but rumor has it that it was buried by the Nazis when they realized they were going to lose the war.
Actually "The Amber Room", as its name implies, was faced with panels of worked amber and was given to Peter the Great of Russia by Frederick 1 of Prussia in 1717. At least one book on the subjuct ("The Amber Room" by Catherine Scot-Clark and Adrian Levy) suggests that it was removed to Konigsberg Castle and destroyed when that building was burned by the Soviet army in 1945.

Lord_glavin

There is a reconstruction of the amber room made from black and white photos of it. The details of the new one are way more intricate and beautiful, but of course molded with modern tools...well modern for 1979

Nazi treasure is always cool though
why don't we have Nazis nowadays to hoard treasure and try to take over the world in their egotistical ways? they made awesome bad guys

of course I wouldn't wish them back on anyone, I'm not that bad of a person

|ZiR|

Perhilion said:
Damn! Stop finding these things before I'm old enough to even be an archaeologist!:mad:

Yeah! It seems like all the cool stuff has already been recovered. Being an archaeologist in real life isn't nearly as exciting or glamorous as Indiana Jones makes it seem. :(

theneogon

How do you know all the cool stuff has already been discovered? You wouldn't know about the stuff that hasn't been discovered!

The next Indy movie should start out with him digging through a pile of sand with a spoon, just to add a little realism.

In reality Indy resembles a tomb robber much more than an actual archeologist. He goes straight for the valuable stuff, disregards the story behind every little detail, and has to fight his way out of trouble. Of course, unlike robbers, he gives his findings to museums, but he destroys a lot of history in the process. Indy is definitely an ends justifies the means type of guy. Maybe the "grave robber" scene was a homage to this!