Lost Indy Wave at Comic-Con 2011

Billy Ray

Billy Ray said:
Ah, never considered that that might actually be the box but, now that you mention it, it very well could be. Though I am not sure that was an actual slide in any of the Hasbro slideshows. I was under the impression that it was just something that Cool Toy Review threw together.

Ok, well I was doing some digging on the source of this image and apparently it was from one of Hasbro's presentations at SDCC according to this quote from Rebelscum's Dan Curto via Facebook:

Dan Curto
Here is the photo from the Hasbro panel of the Indiana Jones SDCC exclusive set. This was planned to be a 5th wave back in 2009 before the line was cancelled. The body of Toht was used for the Cobra Commander figures that year. The traditional Indiana Jones figure is a kit-bashed figure with a removable hat and a lot of extra accessories. Pretty cool

It also reveals the somewhat unsettling news that the "ultimate", kitbashed Indy figure may come with a removable hat. If they do go that route, hopefully they pull it off better than they did on the KOTCS Indy. There seem to be a lot of rumors circulating about this figure (tons of accesories, new head sculpt, "best HF sculpt ever", removable hat). I hope we get to see some pics of him soon. While I am most excited about getting the "lost" figures in this set, and this guy is just icing on the cake, I am curious to see what they do with him.

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:
Ok, well I was doing some digging on the source of this image and apparently it was from one of Hasbro's presentations at SDCC according to this quote from Rebelscum's Dan Curto via Facebook:

It also reveals the somewhat unsettling news that the "ultimate", kitbashed Indy figure may come with a removable hat. If they do go that route, hopefully they pull it off better than they did on the KOTCS Indy. There seem to be a lot of rumors circulating about this figure (tons of accesories, new head sculpt, "best HF sculpt ever", removable hat). I hope we get to see some pics of him soon. While I am most excited about getting the "lost" figures in this set, and this guy is just icing on the cake, I am curious to see what they do with him.

Yeah, we were talking about this on rebelscum.

I REALLY don't want a removable hat. It isn't an "ultimate" Indy sculpt if it has one.

The KOTCS was was just silly. Looked like a little kid playing dress up in daddy's clothes.

I don't think that pic is actually a picture of the box, per se. It doesn't look like a photo at all, just a mock up of the design artwork.

Which isn't to say it won't be ON the box like that....but I hope for something cooler.

Billy Ray

LOL, yeah, I saw you over there. Lots of characters on the RS forums, though it still isn't as bad as the Sideshow Freaks ;)

vf wing

This is a bitter pill for me. I honestly have always expected to see these released. We were told at the time that it would be the first wave out to support the next Indy media event, be it a film or TV show. Now it's being stated that "This will be it for Indy." So, while I am happy to see the figures released in some form, and even sooner than I was expecting, the announcement seems to strongly suggest that if such a media event materializes, there won't be a figure line. Bummer. I guess that's a sensible enough decision, as even I don't see the property as "toyetic".

But, I shouldn't be raining on everybody's parade. Some speculation seems to be referring to a photo on Dan's facebook that might depict the "special box" that will hold the carded figs. I'm perusing his photos right now and not seeing it. Can anyone provide a direct link?

Billy Ray

Here ya go:

SDCC_Indiana__scaled_600.jpg

Billy Ray

Well, we don't know for sure. Tnswman was speculating that it might be the box. I never thought about it when I first saw it, thought it was just a logo, but it does have the choking hazard warning on there...it could be. I guess only time will tell.

Lance Quazar

vf wing said:
This is a bitter pill for me. I honestly have always expected to see these released. We were told at the time that it would be the first wave out to support the next Indy media event, be it a film or TV show. Now it's being stated that "This will be it for Indy." So, while I am happy to see the figures released in some form, and even sooner than I was expecting, the announcement seems to strongly suggest that if such a media event materializes, there won't be a figure line. Bummer. I guess that's a sensible enough decision, as even I don't see the property as "toyetic".

I don't think he necessarily meant there wouldn't be more Indy if there was another film.

I think he just wanted to make it absolutely clear that - barring that - the line wasn't coming back, there wouldn't be other surprises or exclusives down the line.

There are toy lines for the crappiest movies. If there is another Indy, I think we will get more product. Probably not much, but something. A wave or two.

Frankly, I'd MUCH rather get these figures now than hope for another movie.

I think the odds of actually getting Indy V are extremely[i/] slim. I'm delighted that the line is "finished" without that sense of frustration and incompleteness hanging over us.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
I don't think he necessarily meant there wouldn't be more Indy if there was another film.

I think he just wanted to make it absolutely clear that - barring that - the line wasn't coming back, there wouldn't be other surprises or exclusives down the line.

There are toy lines for the crappiest movies. If there is another Indy, I think we will get more product. Probably not much, but something. A wave or two.

Frankly, I'd MUCH rather get these figures now than hope for another movie.

I think the odds of actually getting Indy V are extremely[i/] slim. I'm delighted that the line is "finished" without that sense of frustration and incompleteness hanging over us.

Perfect summary. That's how I see the situation.

To release more figures, and for them to make money, it would need a movie to back them up. As it is, they're releasing figures that have already been sculpted, on the back of a major show. It's a calculated gamble, as opposed to a shot in the dark (to release them without a film).

Another film looks like a distant, if ever, event. Having the last wave released this year at least cleans the slate. Whatever Hasbro does for Indy after this will be a bonus.

MrJinx

Hasbro probably still holds the license for Indiana Jones. Like every other product they create they probably have to renew the license every few years or more. Just because Hasbro has the Star Wars franchise doesn't mean they hold all of the licenses for the Lucas brand toys. Hasbro probably wants to make one final run before the license expires.
In this run of figures Hasbro will probably make the minimum amount that a factory will allow to produce without a financial penalty. The price will also be jacked up about 50% per figure above the store retail price. This will ensure that Hasbro will make a profit if only half the sets sell. The other sets will be sold a few percent above cost to some aftermarket online company. That is if there is not a sell out at SDCC.
There is much speculation about the packaging and price of these figures. In my opinion, these figures will average $15 each in this box set. I am guessing $100 for the set. There will be a gimmick that Hasbro will also use to sell these at SDCC to draw the non-Indiana collectors to buy these. Again, I may be wrong and that is just my speculation.
Jinx
:confused:

Lance Quazar

MrJinx said:
Hasbro probably still holds the license for Indiana Jones. Like every other product they create they probably have to renew the license every few years or more. Just because Hasbro has the Star Wars franchise doesn't mean they hold all of the licenses for the Lucas brand toys. Hasbro probably wants to make one final run before the license expires.
In this run of figures Hasbro will probably make the minimum amount that a factory will allow to produce without a financial penalty. The price will also be jacked up about 50% per figure above the store retail price. This will ensure that Hasbro will make a profit if only half the sets sell. The other sets will be sold a few percent above cost to some aftermarket online company. That is if there is not a sell out at SDCC.
There is much speculation about the packaging and price of these figures. In my opinion, these figures will average $15 each in this box set. I am guessing $100 for the set.
I would imagine it would be close to $100, but not that high. Triple digits tend to give casual toy buyers the heebie jeebies. They are obviously hoping to get casual fans and families who are on the Convention floor to plunk down some dough, too.

My (entirely uneducated guess) is around $65, but I could see it as high as $80.

There will be a gimmick that Hasbro will also use to sell these at SDCC to draw the non-Indiana collectors to buy these. Again, I may be wrong and that is just my speculation.

Other than putting in a "regular outfit Indy" (a very smart tactical move for a number of reasons), I cannot imagine what that could be....

I.M.J.

MrJinx said:
There is much speculation about the packaging and price of these figures. In my opinion, these figures will average $15 each in this box set. I am guessing $100 for the set. There will be a gimmick that Hasbro will also use to sell these at SDCC to draw the non-Indiana collectors to buy these. Again, I may be wrong and that is just my speculation.
Jinx
:confused:

This is pretty market savvy info here, although I'm curious as to whether or not Hasbro actually outsources the manufacturing of this stuff, or if they own a plant. Either way, I'm sure there are financial logistics involved regarding the production run.

I'd say the price point you are speculating might be right - if high only by 15 bucks or so. I hope we are surprised with better pricing though. As for the gimmick - to be honest, the package and the SDCC exclusive setup is the gimmick. I'm sure the booth will have Indiana Jones marketing behind it, but the SDCC exclusivity is the gimmick that will make this set sell more aggressively than it would have at the stores.

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
This is pretty market savvy info here, although I'm curious as to whether or not Hasbro actually outsources the manufacturing of this stuff, or if they own a plant. Either way, I'm sure there are financial logistics involved regarding the production run.

I'd imagine, as with most toys, they just send the moulds out to some Chinese factory who'll produce the figures and then get them painted for pennies.

From the outline given it seems probable that the only new sculpt will be Indy's head, which means that the bulk of the pre-production expense (sculpting and making moulds) has already been met. And even that 'new' Indy headsculpt might already have been made for an abandoned project.

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
And even that 'new' Indy headsculpt might already have been made for an abandoned project.

Yeah... it could just be a repainted Crystal Skull head to accommodate the removable hat (which I actually thought was well scaled, but that's neither here nor there).

Lance Quazar

I.M.J. said:
Yeah... it could just be a repainted Crystal Skull head to accommodate the removable hat (which I actually thought was well scaled, but that's neither here nor there).

They specifically said "new headsculpt", so it won't be one of the many we've seen before.

Ropes

"New head sculpt" may just mean for Raiders. Using the KOTCS sculpt would satisfy that. I would hope not but I've seen it before. :hat:

Lance Quazar

Ropes said:
"New head sculpt" may just mean for Raiders. Using the KOTCS sculpt would satisfy that. I would hope not but I've seen it before. :hat:

Sorry, not buying it. Hasbro knows the difference between a resculpt and a repaint. No matter what legitimate gripes we have had with them over the years, they are not going to deliberately lie like that. There's just no reason to.

They would have simply said "and featuring an ultimate Indy figure" instead of "an ultimate Indy with a new headsculpt", which is what they did.

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
Well, we don't know for sure. Tnswman was speculating that it might be the box. I never thought about it when I first saw it, thought it was just a logo, but it does have the choking hazard warning on there...it could be. I guess only time will tell.

Notice that the box also has the SDCC logo on it as well. It was the official slide shown from what I have been told.

Also, I'm still placing 75% of my money on the fact that these could very well come on "vintage" style cards. The reason I think this is that Hasbro did the same thing for SW's 30th anniversary. This is the 30th anniversary for Raiders and these are all Raiders figures..in fact, besides Satipo all of these figures were released on the original Kenner cards. Following this path is something that we can easily assume that Hasbro will follow since they have done so for their other major lines ( SW, G.I. JOE, Transformers ). This is just how Hasbro likes to celebrate anniversaries for their toy lines.

MrJinx

tnswman said:
Notice that the box also has the SDCC logo on it as well. It was the official slide shown from what I have been told.

Also, I'm still placing 75% of my money on the fact that these could very well come on "vintage" style cards. The reason I think this is that Hasbro did the same thing for SW's 30th anniversary. This is the 30th anniversary for Raiders and these are all Raiders figures..in fact, besides Satipo all of these figures were released on the original Kenner cards. Following this path is something that we can easily assume that Hasbro will follow since they have done so for their other major lines ( SW, G.I. JOE, Transformers ). This is just how Hasbro likes to celebrate anniversaries for their toy lines.

I would also have to put my money out there on the 30th anniversary card. First, to Hasbro they would be cheaper to produce than the double-bend-back-card bubble. Second, the bottom line is profit.
Jinx:gun:

I.M.J.

tnswman said:

I wouldn't mind the vintage cards, but I'd be surprised because it would likely be part of their marketing for the line. The press release could've just as easily said "Lost raiders of the losk ark wave on vintage style cards!", but it didn't.