Soundtracks?

Stoo

The track called, "Main Title Somme", from Frédéric Talgorn's website is not actually from the Somme episode. It's from the very beginning of "Germany, Mid-August 1916".

This is music from the opening scenes of Indy onboard the truck full of prisoners and him meeting up with Emile until the point where they're being marched off and the artillery bombardment commences (which allows them the opportunity to attempt an escape).

@Tash: the spreadsheet has been updated accordingly.;)

@Demitasse: Thank you ever so much for discovering this track! You've done Young-Indy-music-fans a great service.(y)

Demitasse

My pleasure! I can't hold a candle to the work Stoo, Tash, MDew and others have done. You guys are the real music archaeologists!!

MDew

The Young Indy Music Video

Well you knew it was just a matter of time until somebody put it together (Jeremiah even mentioned the idea earlier in this thread), so I thought I might as well be the first to tackle it. Ladies & gentlemen, I present...The Young Indy Music Video!

InexorableTash

MDew said:
Well you knew it was just a matter of time until somebody put it together (Jeremiah even mentioned the idea earlier in this thread), so I thought I might as well be the first to tackle it. Ladies & gentlemen, I present...The Young Indy Music Video!

Wow, amazing work! Truly epic, well edited, hilarious and a loving tribute to the series. Well done!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Wow, amazing work! Truly epic, well edited, hilarious and a loving tribute to the series. Well done!

Indeed. Wonderful to see one of these sorts of things that isn't fawning, but is willing to kid the subject a little bit. I knew there'd be a laugh coming whenever it got around to the sax section.

Stoo

MDew said:
Myself, as well. I've been wanting to make a Young Indy Rap video for a long time but you beat me to it!:hat:

EXCELLENT JOB, Dr. Mountain Dew!(y) As Tash and Attila have already said, fantastic editing, loving tribute and the sax parts are perfect! You did a great job of showing clips which correspond to the lyrics. Too many to mention right now but the best ones are the "slammin'" clips. Using the flame-thrower close-up for the last shot of the rap was a nice choice. Very well done!

A stupendous product, my friend. Instant CLASSIC!(y) (y) (y)

MDew

Thanks for the comments, guys. Hopefully it will become an internet phenomenon...or at least spark some more interest in the show!

InexorableTash

Two tiny tidbits:

• A post over at Film Score Monthly sheds light on why the score to Curse of the Jackal was never (and may never) be released - apparently it was recorded with a union orchestra. I can't find the original thread, only this reference to it. Can anyone do better?
  • Laurence Rosenthal's official page is updated since I last checked, and now includes several sample clips, including many full tracks from Young Indiana Jones. Nothing that wasn't already released on the 4 OSTs, though:

Main Title (2:08 - full track)
Vienna 1908: Sophie?s Chamber (2:13)
British East Africa 1909: The Masai Elders (1:48 - full track)
Barcelona 1917: Boulevards of Barcelona (0:39)
Princeton 1916: Princeton Days (1:10)
Northern Italy 1918: The Wedding Dress (1:49 - full track; titled "The Bridal Gown" on the CD)
Ireland 1916: The Fight in the Bakery (1:53 - full track)

T.E.Lawrence

InexorableTash said:
Two tiny tidbits:

• A post over at Film Score Monthly sheds light on why the score to Curse of the Jackal was never (and may never) be released - apparently it was recorded with a union orchestra. I can't find the original thread, only this reference to it. Can anyone do better?

Last edited:

MDew

I wonder if said usage fees would still apply to a new recording of the material? If I'm not mistaken, that was the case with the Curse of the Jackal recording on the "Best of the West" album. Maybe they could side-step it by getting a different orchestra to record it. :confused:

BTW, has anybody started a formal petition of any kind to get these released? Maybe that would be a better route than individual letters...we must see this music released!!

InexorableTash

T.E.Lawrence said:
Thank you so much for a Film Score Monthly link. I read it with the blink of an eye. I also found those threads...

Well done, T.E.!

I've made a dedicated page for Rosenthal's music of Curse of the Jackal, since it really deserves it and makes more sense than when split up (although Chapters 1 and 6 remain, and everything cross-links):

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/curse-of-the-jackal

I included some of the info from the FSM forum and linked to the thread with Thaxton's comments.

Coincidentally, my wife has put Clash of the Titans on the TV.

MDew said:
I wonder if said usage fees would still apply to a new recording of the material? If I'm not mistaken, that was the case with the Curse of the Jackal recording on the "Best of the West" album. Maybe they could side-step it by getting a different orchestra to record it.

Probably... that said, getting ahold of the sheet music would be a major coup. Then we'd have to rustle up an orchestra...

I'm also curious about the tracks from COTJ that were re-used in other DVD chapter credits and in the LEGO game. I wonder if the segments in Daredevils were actually re-used or re-recorded? And if re-used, was the re-use in the LEGO game actually cleared, or accidental?

MDew said:
BTW, has anybody started a formal petition of any kind to get these released? Maybe that would be a better route than individual letters...we must see this music released!!

I haven't gotten around to sending my letter to Lucasfilm yet - I'm a slacker! but I have one written up. I'll include a question asking for how other fans can best make their voices heard.

lairdo

InexorableTash said:
Well done, T.E.!

I've made a dedicated page for Rosenthal's music of Curse of the Jackal, since it really deserves it and makes more sense than when split up (although Chapters 1 and 6 remain, and everything cross-links):

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/curse-of-the-jackal

I included some of the info from the FSM forum and linked to the thread with Thaxton's comments.

Love that Curse has its own page. The score is fantastic. It was recorded at Skywalker Ranch on the stage there. I got to attend a bit of the session. Ford is right about the re-use fees, but I think in limited numbers those costs are a lot less now. The issue as has been raised in this thread is getting someone to put out the entire score list. I have to think people like Lucas from FSM have tried - I mean we have a huge box set of Ron Jones's music from STTNG - so there is a market in limited runs for series music.

I think it is curious as well that no albums have come out for Star Wars Clone Wars other than the first movie. That worries me that LucasFilm isn't too interested in releasing any of the scores for any of the TV projects.

One thing to clarify, at least in my time on YIJC, no scores were recorded in Germany. Prague was the main location with some done in Australia.

Laird

fommes

I don't think FSM has tried, really. Normally they concentrate on scores that are older than that (although their 'minimum age' shifts, too, as each year passes). The reason that Star Trek box came out is because Lukas is a very big fan of those Ron Jones scores. It's also pretty clear that Lucasfilm doesn't really care unfortunately (given that even the definitive Star Wars and Indiana Jones soundtracks are still not playing in our stereos right now).

Now that there's an X-Files box coming, YIJC and MacGyver are my top holy grails in TV scoring right now. Although I don't have that high hopes at the moment, there's so much good music in YIJC that still has not been released, you'd think it's bound to see the light of day some day. Perhaps Intrada can take it over from Varèse at a certain time (as they're Laurence Rosenthal fans).

Pretty envious you were at the scoring stage, Laird! :) Would love to hear some more of your first-hand experiences!

Irfaan

Hey guys it's been a while since I've logged in (forgot and lost generated password on other PC and only bothered to change it now) but I just had to comment when...

MDew said:

Wow! Just Wow! That is one SUPERBLY edited music video, MDew (which is ironicly what I've been drinking for the past few days to keep me energetic for work) you are the BEST! That is one awesome track choice too, want it on my iPod NOW! (which Young Indy CD is it from? I've never heard it from my collection 1-4)

I've been watching this on loop, it is so well done (especially given its length it must've taken a lot of... mileage! *rimshot*) and wow what a brilliant theme! Thank you so much for you effort mate, it has really put a smile on my face after such a tough day... congrats, fortune and glory kid (y)

Gonna comment and like on Youtube now...

P.S. Stoo, haven't had the chance to say this since I haven't logged in but thanks for you old indy chronicles upload on your youtube channel, much appreciated :D

fommes

I was admiring your site today once again, Tash - amazing effort.

I don't know if this qualifies for you, but there's also a rerecording of the YIJ theme on the brother compilation of Best of the West: Best of Adventure. Performance is adequate, but it was done in the early years of the Prague Philharmonic.

lairdo

fommes said:
Pretty envious you were at the scoring stage, Laird! :) Would love to hear some more of your first-hand experiences!

Gosh, I wish I had some good ones. We were all so busy those few months (this was in about January or February 1993 - about 2 months before the show was to air on ABC). I was running around getting stuff to the editors and to the stage. We actually built a special small mix stage just for Young Indy. (The big stages were reserved for huge movies like Jurassic Park or remixing Star Wars - that time was for the THX laserdisc editions.)

Anyway, I only stopped into the stage for maybe 10 minutes. It was amazing though to hear the orchestra live. And of course we got the recorded score a few days later after they mixed it. But we had about 4 shows in post at the time, so there was no time to linger.

I believe the orchestra was the same one (or mostly) that did the Star Wars suites. I have that CD somewhere.

Satellite 1

Hey there, guys. I know it's kind of a naughty question, but as the Satellite 1 disc is rare, out-of-print, and (I suspect) was never commercial in the first place.... Would anyone mind sharing? PM if you would be able to send it my way. :)

Thanks!

InexorableTash

fommes said:
I don't know if this qualifies for you, but there's also a rerecording of the YIJ theme on the brother compilation of Best of the West: Best of Adventure. Performance is adequate, but it was done in the early years of the Prague Philharmonic.

Link added. Now I just have to track down a copy!

I also added links to the Colosseum re-releases and press-on-demand releases of the OSTs available in Europe.