Just bought a fedora from Disney

Little Indy

Great hats guys! Out of curiosity anybody here ever try to remove the Indiana Jones pin on the side of the fedora? I am tempted to if it can be done with out ruining the ribbon. Any hints would be great thanks.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Little Indy said:
Out of curiosity anybody here ever try to remove the Indiana Jones pin on the side of the fedora? I am tempted to if it can be done with out ruining the ribbon.
The pin has no effect on the ribbon, you can do whatever you want with it.

Mr. Fusion

The hat looks great. The only thing that has me puzzled is why the ribbon is on the opposite site of the hat? :confused:

Otherwise, it looks a worlds better than an original Dorfman.(y)

IndyFalco

the reason why the ribbon is on the opposite side of the hat is because the photos came out reversed. The ribbon is exactly where it should be. So yea.

As far as removing the pin, to be honest, I've tried to remove it aswell, but it locked in its place. I'd rather not mess around with it or regret messing up the ribbon.

I say just enjoy the fact that the fedora has an awesome Indiana Jones logo pin.(y) (y) (y)

Indyologist

A lot of "gearheads" have problems with Dorfmans, but I say if you like it, go for it. The only thing that I personally would lose, perhaps, is the pin on the ribbon. But if you like it, that's the only thing that matters, "screen accurate" or not. Don't get all caught up in that stuff; don't mess with it if you like it the way it is.

Personally, I don't understand those who are all up into beating up and abusing a new Wested leather jacket to make it look "distressed." IMHO, know what the best way is to "distress" a jacket, hands down? WEAR IT! Wear it often and wear it well. There ya go. No chemicals, buffers or dragging it behind your bumper going 30 MPH required. I've recently seen a couple of beautiful Wested jackets ruined by a bad homemade "distressing" job. I thought, "OMG! I would never do that to such a beautiful jacket!" And they paid upwards of $300-$400 and more for them. Unless you have worked in the movie industry and completely know what you are doing, please don't do it. Make like you love your jacket by distressing it as I mentioned above-- by wearing it for many years in all kinds of situations and many kinds of weather. Heck, that's how The Man With The Hat himself does it. There ya go-- now that's being "screen accurate!" Besides, think about it: half the fun of it is breaking it in! My own dream is to get a Wested leather jacket in the Raiders style.

Phew. :eek: Thanks for letting me vent here. :hat: I guess I can't stand to see a beautiful thing like a Wested jacket get ruined for the sake of being "accurate." It's heartbreaking IMHO.

Last edited:

deckard24

Indyologist said:
A lot of "gearheads" have problems with Dorfmans, but I say if you like it, go for it. The only thing that I personally would lose, perhaps, is the pin on the ribbon. But if you like it, that's the only thing that matters, "screen accurate" or not. Don't get all caught up in that stuff; don't mess with it if you like it the way it is.

Personally, I don't understand those who are all up into beating up and abusing a new Wested leather jacket to make it look "distressed." IMHO, know what the best way is to "distress" a jacket, hands down? WEAR IT! Wear it often and wear it well. There ya go. No chemicals, buffers or dragging it behind your bumper going 30 MPH required. I've recently seen a couple of beautiful Wested jackets ruined by a bad homemade "distressing" job. I thought, "OMG! I would never do that to such a beautiful jacket!" And they paid upwards of $300-$400 and more for them. Unless you have worked in the movie industry and completely know what you are doing, please don't do it. Make like you love your jacket by distressing it as I mentioned above-- by wearing it for many years in all kinds of situations and many kinds of weather. Heck, that's how The Man With The Hat himself does it. There ya go-- now that's being "screen accurate!" Besides, think about it: half the fun of it is breaking it in!
My own dream is to get a Wested leather jacket in the Raiders style.

Phew. :eek: Thanks for letting me vent here. :hat: I guess I can't stand to see a beautiful thing like a Wested jacket get ruined for the sake of being "accurate." It's heartbreaking IMHO.

I'd love to get one one day myself! I've heard the Todd's standard Raiders jackets are pretty nice, especially for the price. But, then again I also heard they are incredibly thin, and not up to the same standards as a Wested. It's tough because right now I could rationalize spending $150 on a Todd's, but not the near $400 for a Wested. I guess I'll just wait it out.

As for the fedora, any recommendations for one that won't break the bank but be of good quality?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Distressing also makes some great looking jackets:

wested.jpg

;)

Akubra Federations are good felt and relatively cheap.

deckard24

Thanks man! I'll look into the Akubra Fed..:hat:

Holy **** that jacket has been through the ringer! I wonder without the harsh flash if it would look better. It's still pretty cool, but I prefer my jackets darker.

eazybox

deckard24 said:
If you don't want to spend a fortune, but want a decent fedora, what do you guys recommend?

It depends on what you call a fortune, but Adventurebilt, which made the hats for Crystal Skull, is planning to introduce a factory made model to coincide with the release of the new film. This hat, reportedly, will look exactly like their handmade hats, but will be much less expensive. I think that the price is expected to be about the same as an Akubra Federation.

The last I heard, the plans to produce this hat were not yet official, but they were very optimistic about it coming to pass.

Peters Brothers also makes reasonably priced Indy style hats, including a straw model.

Jack

Deckard

eazybox said:
It depends on what you call a fortune, but Adventurebilt, which made the hats for Crystal Skull, is planning to introduce a factory made model to coincide with the release of the new film. This hat, reportedly, will look exactly like their handmade hats, but will be much less expensive. I think that the price is expected to be about the same as an Akubra Federation.

The last I heard, the plans to produce this hat were not yet official, but they were very optimistic about it coming to pass.

Peters Brothers also makes reasonably priced Indy style hats, including a straw model.

Jack

Actualy i believe it is official but there was a minor issue in perhaps the felt used? Something to this extent that is delaying them just a bit. I would suggest this myself if you cannot afford a regular AB. Or if you don't want to wait pick up an Akubra. Im going to get a federation myself.

deckard24

eazybox said:

Jack
Thanks for the input Jack!

Mr. Fusion

I love my Federation. It wasn't too expensive and looks great. I probably got it a size too large...:eek:

Otherwise, it's a great hat.(y)

The_Raiders

brim

I know how to reshap fedora brims, I have on that is the same kind as Indys just black, but you need like a tea kettle or something like that, get the water inside really hot, open in so steam comes out, put the part of brim you want to work with in the steam so it gets damp (DON'T SOAK IT!) and when it's damp you shape it like Indys or whoever elses hat you want, the brim on mine was turned all the ways upwards, then I put it in steam shaped it like Indys, let it dry and that's it. :)

Deckard

I have one of those the genuine fur felt, its not worth it, get yourself an akubra federation, its in that price range and much closer to the real hat.

eazybox

I would agree with what Deckard said. But you should ask yourself what your priorities are first. Are you mainly interested in getting an officially licensed Indy hat with that nifty pin on the bow? If so, the Federation, no matter what it looks like, will be just another hat to you.

If your main interest is in getting a hat that looks as close as possible to what you see onscreen on Ford's head, then the Akubra Federation or Federation Deluxe (a little more costly) are really the only way to go in the price range you are looking at.

Jack

Katarn07

No, I was gonna try to actually remove that pin. OK, what's the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? And when can we expect this Adventurebilt hat. I may just wait to see that. I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the warnings though! ;)

eazybox

Katarn07 said:
No, I was gonna try to actually remove that pin. OK, what's the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? And when can we expect this Adventurebilt hat. I may just wait to see that. I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the warnings though! ;)

The Federation Deluxe is made of Heritage felt, which is the highest quality rabbit fur offered by Akubra, and is also, I believe, slightly darker in color than the regular Fed. But, from what I hear, you can't really go wrong with the Regular; it's a very tough, high quality hat. Either version would be a great choice.

The factory Adventurebilt should be available at the time of the new movie's release.

That poor pin on the licensed hats seems to be actively despised by many people!

Jack

Last edited: