Young Indy Chronicles: 20 yrs. old in 2012

MDew

You know what I was thinking: it would be cool to some kind of celebration for Young Indy's 20th Anniversary next summer. There probably isn't a big enough fan base for Lucasfilm to consider doing an official event, but it would be cool at least to put together a small fan event of some sort. A good location would be Wilmington, NC - Young Indy's real life "home" in the states. Ideas, anyone? Shoot! :gun:

MDew

I agree, but that may be out of reach with my budget :(
Prague would be my first choice! You could spend about a week just exploring all the Young Indy locales in that area ;)

InexorableTash

MDew said:
Young Indy's 20th Anniversary next summer

Erm, summer after next, right? Unless you're doing the math in a new and interesting way...

Y'know, I'm not generally one for cons, but I'm actually tempted since it would be such a small, dedicated group.

Coincidentally, the summer of 2012 will also be 100 years after a young Henry Jones, Jr. has an adventure in Utah involving the Cross of Coronado. I'm kinda bummed that I didn't think about retro-blogging Indy's adventures 100 years on until after March 2010 (per The Raider's timeline), when he meets Tolstoy in Russia near the end of his father's world tour), and so 2012 will be a bit of an island in a dry spell (ignoring the books). But... well, it's one more reason to consider it.

MDew

InexorableTash said:
Erm, summer after next, right? Unless you're doing the math in a new and interesting way...
LOL, yeah that's what I meant. :eek:
I do have interesting ways of doing math though...

InexorableTash

[/LIST]
InexorableTash said:
...and so 2012 will be a bit of an island in a dry spell

Um, I mean either "island in an ocean" or "oasis in a desert". One of the two. Probably the latter, given how Indy tends to roll. Well, except for Peacock's Eye. Anyway, in case I didn't make my point: retro-blogging Indy's adventures 100 years on would be cool, but we missed Little Indy and it is quite a few years until Older Young Indy takes the stage in Princeton, 1916. Fortunately, it's a nice coincidence that the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scout Indy's adventures align with the 20th Anniversary of the Chronicles.

So yes: I can see this happening, somewhat like the Goonie's 25th recently in Astoria, Oregon. Probably lower key, but possible. I volunteer to bring the music! :) Seriously, though, you can start to imagine an agenda:

• Filming Locations: Slide show and field trips
  • The Music: Interactive listening session, hidden treasures and sound editing tips

Any more?

Stoo

MDew said:
A good location would be Wilmington, NC - Young Indy's real life "home" in the states.
If that happened I might be able to convince the postal woman from the "Austria" bookends to show up.;) (No joke, she's pretty cool!)
fommes said:
Considering most of the episodes took place in Europe, I think you should all come over here.;)
Paris plays a big part in the series but Barcelona is another contender since it's such a great place.
MDew said:
Prague would be my first choice! You could spend about a week just exploring all the Young Indy locales in that area ;)
Been there twice and LOVED IT! Any reason to go back...

@InexorableTash: We could definitely get a lot of mileage out of the music and filming locations. Some more ideas for the agenda:

*Screening: "Curse of the Jackal", the pilot episode.
*Screening: "German East Africa, December 1916" with the ORIGINAL VOICES of Barthélemy and all the Belgian officers.
*Screening: "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" with the ORIGINAL VOICE of Jin Ming, the female pirate.
*Screening: "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles" (complete compilation)
*Screening: Scenes cut from the VHS/DVDs.
*Screening: Films which parallel certain episodes or were ROBBED for footage!:eek:
*Analysis: Indy's Belgian & French military involvement.
*Original Prop Display: Joosse's tunic.

MDew

All good ideas, keep 'em comin'!

Stoo said:
If that happened I might be able to convince the postal woman from the "Austria" bookends to show up.;) (No joke, she's pretty cool!)

Of course it would be sweet to get any cast/crew from the show to make an appearance as well. The main actors would probably be tougher (you know, having to pay their way and all), but I'm guessing quite a few of the actors used for secondary roles still live/work in those areas they filmed and would probably be flattered that they have fans.

Since not much "making of" footage or interviews is out there, it would be interesting to hear some stories. Coincidentally one of the matte painters from the show lives near me and came in and spoke at my college :cool:

phantom train

It's hard to believe that YIJC show is 18 years old this year (20 in 2012). Man, time sure flies. I distinctly remember first seeing the "trailer" for this show after an airing of an IJ film (ROTLA!?) in late December 1991 and becoming super-pumped for the show. I really enjoyed watching it when it first aired on TV in Spring 1992, and I kept up with the show even after numerous changes in the time-slot, cancellations, etc.

T.E.Lawrence

MDew said:
You know what I was thinking: it would be cool to some kind of celebration for Young Indy's 20th Anniversary next summer. There probably isn't a big enough fan base for Lucasfilm to consider doing an official event, but it would be cool at least to put together a small fan event of some sort. A good location would be Wilmington, NC - Young Indy's real life "home" in the states. Ideas, anyone? Shoot! :gun:

How about Multicast-Mega-Podcast audio where are the leading members of this forum would be interviewed about their interest in Young Indy and a "20 years after" review for that Anniversary Special Editition Young indy Podcast Episode :D

Sven

If these plans would get a kind of valid someday I would say: Prague! It's a beautiful city full of history, location of so many YIJ scenes and finally (yes, call me selfish! :D ) just 220 kilometres/137 miles away from my hometown. Using the brand new Autobahn between Dresden and Prague it would take less than 3 hours to get there... (y)