Indy's graduation

Raiders90

A couple of Questions:

1) Indy left during his (I believe) Junior year of high school in early/mid 1916, and returned to the US in mid 1919...and he's showed as being enrolled in College as of the Fall of 1919/Spring of 1920. How and/or when did he ever get his High School diploma?

2) Also, Indy started/finished (depending on YIJC vs. Novels) his education at the university of Chicago in 1920...What year would he have become "Doctor" Jones, in both cases? I'm not sure how long obtaining a PH.D would've taken back then. Also, if we go just by the YIJC, what year would he have graduated from the University of Chicago?

3) Indy's time as a student as Sorbonne--Canon? I don't see how he studied under Professor Ravenwood at Chicago if he's taking English as a major at the Uni. of Chicago.

AnnieJones

I completely understand what you mean.I had that same question in a thread I did called Colleges Indiana Jones Attended,Graduated from,and Taught at Timeline.It was disused on page 2.

Junior Jones

I don't think Indy ever finished high school. It was probably fairly easy to get his GED based on life experience.

My theorized explanation of his college years can be found in post #18 on this thread.

AnnieJones

AnnieJones said:
I completely understand what you mean.I had that same question in a thread I did called Colleges Indiana Jones Attended,Graduated from,and Taught at Timeline.It was disused on page 2.
Which says this:
AnnieJones said:
I have one huge question.How did Indy go to college if he didn't graduate high school? Were people allowed to do that back then? Were people allowed to go to college back then,even if they didn't graduate high school?
Stoo said:
That's a very good question. Maybe he was eligible for Mature Student status (if that existed in 1920)?:confused:
Attila the Professor said:
Well, he was also a veteran. While there certainly wasn't any sort of G.I. Bill, one suspects that might count for <I>something</I>.
AnnieJones said:
What is Mature Student status?

My sister did give me one theory.Because of his fathers position at Princeton College,Indy was able to get into college.Kind of like a form of nepotism.Would they have been allowed to do something like that back then?
Attila the Professor said:
That's the other possibility that occurs to me.

Would they have been able to? Probably. The bigger question, one supposes, is if Henry would be willing. I haven't actually seen Princeton 1919/Winds of Change, and only know its contents by reputation. Doesn't Henry want him to attend Princeton but Indy decides on Chicago? At any rate, on those grounds, the question is not of going to college, but rather going to <I>which</I> college.

phantom train

Interesting question - I'm also assuming IJ somehow got his GED (or the 1920's equivalent) off-screen, since he apparently never finished HS. The idea that this was given to him based on his life experiences overseas may be correct, but I also figure that since he had so much knowledge of history & foreign languages that may have counted for something as well. After all, if he had taken some kind of GED test I'm sure he would have passed with flying colors, considering all of his world knowledge.

Raiders90

phantom train said:
Interesting question - I'm also assuming IJ somehow got his GED (or the 1920's equivalent) off-screen, since he apparently never finished HS. The idea that this was given to him based on his life experiences overseas may be correct, but I also figure that since he had so much knowledge of history & foreign languages that may have counted for something as well. After all, if he had taken some kind of GED test I'm sure he would have passed with flying colors, considering all of his world knowledge.

I don't think there was any 1920s equivalent. The GED didn't start until '42.