Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Indy's brother

Attila the Professor said:
Violet said:
"You know when you're young you spend all your time thinking, Who will I be? And then you're busy shouting to the world, This is who I am!"

As Stanforth spoke, Indy opened the closet door. He found himself staring at a beat up brown fedora hanging on a hook, his bullwhip was curled on the closet's top shelf. Both waited to be packed.

This is who I am, Indy thought.

Behind him, Stanforth continued, "But lately, I've been wondering - after I'm gone, Who will they say I was?"

With a final wave, Stanforth shuffled off, but his words remained behind. Indy stood in the closet, staring at his whip and fedora.

I'm only glad they left this out if there is an Indy 5 (or 6, which has really become a laughable pipe dream for me). Not that it's a bad line for a film that isn't a series ender, but in my humble opinion it's good enough to save for that definitively final film. If KOTCS is the end, it should have been left in.

mattzilla2010

The Drifter said:
I heard a Frankie Lymon song in the background while Indy and Mutt were talking in the diner. Am I right on that?
*Goes to check the credits, or IMDB, or the thousands of other sources*

Not sure if you already came across this in your searching, but "Little Bitty Pretty One" does indeed play in the diner. However, it's the version sung by Thurston Harris in 1957. Frankie Lymon did his cover version in 1958.*

I just finished watching KOTCS again and remembered another line I absolutely love: after Marion tells Indy she's had a "damn good, really good life" since he's been gone, he jealously replies "Well so have I!" The way Harrison delivers that line just makes me laugh. You can tell Indy doesn't really mean it... he just doesn't want to be bested by Marion. :p

*I really hope this is correct because I just plucked it off of wikipedia... I take no responsibility whatsoever for incorrect information.

DiscoLad

You know, the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the film was that they didn't play the theme song enough for me.
I like as much theme song in a film as there is in James Bond. :p

It killed me when they had a different ending in the theme during the credits. :dead:

DiscoLad said:
You know, the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the film was that they didn't play the theme song enough for me.
I like as much theme song in a film as there is in James Bond. :p

It killed me when they had a different ending in the theme during the credits. :dead:

I would have liked to hear it more in the film too...it doesn't always have to be the bombastic reprise either. The subtle notes poking through every now and again.

The alterations to the march during the end credits wasn't very imaginative. It just cranked it up an octave. Felt more like an after thought than inspired.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Felt more like an after thought than inspired.

...which is how I see much of KOTCS. It isn't as self-contained or as engaging as ROTLA, TOD or TLC. Sadly lacking in creative inspiration, and regularly falling back on cheap shots.

DiscoLad

Exactly.
Well spoken.

I fast forwarded to the credits to listen to the theme and when they played that odd ending I just sat there with the most empty, disappointed feeling.

. . . (n)
Come on KotCS...

Is there a thread where I can unload my dislikes of Indy IV? :p

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
Is there a thread where I can unload my dislikes of Indy IV? :p

Right here, I do believe. http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20057

Mattzilla2010 said:
Not sure if you already came across this in your searching, but "Little Bitty Pretty One" does indeed play in the diner. However, it's the version sung by Thurston Harris in 1957. Frankie Lymon did his cover version in 1958.

Thanks for the information. I never did go and check it out, because I had forgot to do so! Also, I never knew Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers did a cover when they sung that song.

mattzilla2010

Whoa, just checked the end credits to make sure... and it's not the Thurston Harris version either! It says "performed by Bobby Day" under that song. Whoops. :eek:

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by DiscoLad

I dunno about that. I felt it was a very effective revamping of the March's end and gave the film a very stylised and heroically conclusive finale. Just what I was looking for (P.S that doesn?t mean I don?t want Indy V Lucas ;) ).

Originally Posted by Montana Smith
It would have been much closer to "awesome" if he hadn't noticed Mutt on the platform, that Indy just kept going on that train, heading into the mystery alone. Play out the role of a Hitchcock protagonist, perfect for the McCarthy erea of foreign agents and suspicion, meeting new companions, and completely avoiding marriage and fatherhood.

Take that "Train to New York, overnight to London", then "Leipzig", heading ever closer towards Russia, and another route to the Skull.

That would've been AWESOME!!! Montana that sounds like it could be so intriguing and suspenseful- Indy constantly looking over his shoulder as 'faceless' men in trench coats tail his cab through Leipzig ala From Russia With Love! :hat:

Montana Smith

Col. Detritch said:
That would've been AWESOME!!! Montana that sounds like it could be so intriguing and suspenseful- Indy constantly looking over his shoulder as 'faceless' men in trench coats tail his cab through Leipzig ala From Russia With Love! :hat:

From Russia With Love was in my mind. Irina Spalko could have been the honey trap, with Dovchenko as the assassin tailing Indy!

DiscoLad

Col. Detritch said:
I dunno about that. I felt it was a very effective revamping of the March's end and gave the film a very stylised and heroically conclusive finale. Just what I was looking for (P.S that doesn?t mean I don?t want Indy V Lucas ;) ).

D: I can't think of a reply.

DiscoLad

And you call yourself a fan?!

No I'm just kidding around, that's cool if you liek it but I really just hate because it doesn't give me the tingles that the original does...

Dr.Jonesy

We're going on three years. I hardly visit this board anymore, but haven't the group of you against KOTCS gotten your anger out yet or your complaints heard?

Sheesh, move on people...I only come here if I want an update on which former cast member or producer has said Indy V's story is being worked on by George..

mattzilla2010

Well, it's been 30 years since Raiders came out and we still gush about everything we like from that. If people don't like Kingdom, they have a right to complain about everything they don't like, especially after only 3.

But it is probably out of place in a thread called "Little things that make KOTCS awesome...."

DiscoLad

Dr.Jonesy said:
We're going on three years. I hardly visit this board anymore, but haven't the group of you against KOTCS gotten your anger out yet or your complaints heard?

Sheesh, move on people...I only come here if I want an update on which former cast member or producer has said Indy V's story is being worked on by George..

I only actually started posting in the actual Indy section... Ask Rocket. :p

...So no I havn't gotten my anger out. :D

mattzilla2010 said:
But it is probably out of place in a thread called "Little things that make KOTCS awesome
Yea, Drifter made a link to a thread that would earlier in this thread but... I don't know why I havn't gone there.

Sharkey

DiscoLad said:
I only actually started posting in the actual Indy section... Ask Rocket. :p

Yea, Drifter made a link to a thread that would earlier in this thread but... I don't know why I havn't gone there.

1. Still can't chew your own gum?
2. Anger? You got nothing. Your're posts would fit in as much on Sissy Boy's page as they would on a lame anime site or even here.
3. You don't know why, we don't know why, no one knows why. Your posts are soul suckers.

JP Jones

DiscoLad said:
I've seen bad movies, but how in the F*** can a movie make you angry? And why would you think that you have to let anger out? I'd prefer you just don't watch it if you don't like it rather than venting about a damn movie for everyone else to see.