Marion: Anti Abortion

Given that Marion chooses to be a single Mother in 1937 (ish), and then goes out to trap another man, I wonder what she would think about Indy regarding all the other bastards he probably had and how in Crystal Skull she was so quick to give it up again.

Montana Smith said:
You're on a roll today, Rocket!
Smitty, I just have questions...

...amd it's better, (marginally) than bashing Skull(s)!

But really, talk about fast relationships...I wonder how many OTHER Mutts are out there waiting to be canonized in Indy-land?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Smitty, I just have questions...

...amd it's better, (marginally) than bashing Skull(s)!

But really, talk about fast relationships...I wonder how many OTHER Mutts are out there waiting to be canonized in Indy-land?

I've thought about all the little bastards. All those other Mutts.

And I thought, "The horror! The horror!"

Imagine if each one had their own spin-off Indy TV series.

Triple "horror!"

Montana Smith said:
I've thought about all the little bastards. All those other Mutts.

And I thought, "The horror! The horror!"

Imagine if each one had their own spin-off Indy TV series.

Triple "horror!"

Think of the epic episode of Maury!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEP-j-IqqQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEP-j-IqqQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

avidfilmbuff

Oh dear God, abortion. I don't believe that there has ever been a more divisive subject in the entire world. Whenever I hear the word from somebody, I run away as fast as I can.

Be careful everybody, this subject has turned the best of friends into the bitterest enemies.

avidfilmbuff said:
Oh dear God, abortion. I don't believe that there has ever been a more divisive subject in the entire world. Whenever I hear the word from somebody, I run away as fast as I can.

Be careful everybody, this subject has turned the best of friends into the bitterest enemies.

It's obvious you're oblivious.

I guess before you run away as fast as you can you throw in your two cents. That way you don't have to engage in a conversation.

Nice warning, you should heed your own advice.

God help you when it comes down to viewing a film like:

High Fidelity
The Opposite of Sex
Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her
Riding In Cars With Boys
Circle of Friends
Juno
If These Walls Could Talk
The Cider House Rules
Vera Drake
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
Lake on Fire
I Had an Abortion
Our Song
Citizen Ruth
Vera Drake
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Dirty Dancing
The Crime of Padre Amaro
Just Another Girl on the IRT
Saved
The Education of Shelby Knox

Avid Film Buff Indeed

Well in 1936 and even in 1957 abortion was not a part of mainstream politicial discourse at all, very unlike today. It wasnt really until after Roe vs. Wade in 1973 that it was even a national political issue at all, even then it wasnt until the late 1980's or early 1990's that it became the hot botton issue even approaching the level it is today. I imagine most people of Indy's and Marion's generation would be anti-abortion and whenever abortion did happen or was even discussed it was very hush hush.

The point is that comparing the political topics of today with the political topics of the time of Indiana Jones is comparing apples and oranges.

avidfilmbuff

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's obvious you're oblivious.

I guess before you run away as fast as you can you throw in your two cents. That way you don't have to engage in a conversation.

Nice warning, you should heed your own advice.

God help you when it comes down to viewing a film like:

High Fidelity
The Opposite of Sex
Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her
Riding In Cars With Boys
Circle of Friends
Juno
If These Walls Could Talk
The Cider House Rules
Vera Drake
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
Lake on Fire
I Had an Abortion
Our Song
Citizen Ruth
Vera Drake
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Dirty Dancing
The Crime of Padre Amaro
Just Another Girl on the IRT
Saved
The Education of Shelby Knox

Avid Film Buff Indeed

Who said anything about films? I'm talking about conversations with people on the subject of abortion. I have witnessed quite a few conversations on the subject, and I have participated in some of these conversations. They have always ended in disaster. It's the only subject, besides my personal life, that I refuse to speak about. And all I was saying that it's the most divisive subject in today's world, and it has caused an incredible amount of tension between usually calm individuals.

And furthermore, I would never refuse to watch a film, simply because I don't care for the subject matter, it would be hypocritical of me. I don't where in my post you got that idea, but it is totally false. There are many films in which I disagreed with the moral stance, but I still enjoyed because of the film's quality.

And I shall repeat what I said before, there is no need to be rude.

Montana Smith

avidfilmbuff said:
Who said anything about films? I'm talking about conversations with people on the subject of abortion. I have witnessed quite a few conversations on the subject, and I have participated in some of these conversations. They have always ended in disaster. It's the only subject, besides my personal life, that I refuse to speak about. And all I was saying that it's the most divisive subject in today's world, and it has caused an incredible amount of tension between usually calm individuals.

And furthermore, I would never refuse to watch a film, simply because I don't care for the subject matter, it would be hypocritical of me. I don't where in my post you got that idea, but it is totally false. There are many films in which I disagreed with the moral stance, but I still enjoyed because of the film's quality.

Don't mind Rocket, it's obvious you're oblivious that he has the devil in him again! ;)

'Tis the season of the Rocket. Yesterday he launched his payload, and there's no aborting take-off.

Where it'll land nobody knows, but it's sure to be where angels fear to tread.

:hat:

Indie House

avidfilmbuff said:

Dramatic delivery aside, I understood what you meant... :hat:

avidfilmbuff said:
Who said anything about films?
I did

avidfilmbuff said:
I'm talking about conversations with people on the subject of abortion. I have witnessed quite a few conversations on the subject, and I have participated in some of these conversations. They have always ended in disaster. It's the only subject, besides my personal life, that I refuse to speak about.
...and yet you have and just did again. If it's such a taboo for you why do you continue to engage and worse yet feel the need to ward off others like some psuedo guardian?

avidfilmbuff said:
And all I was saying that it's the most divisive subject in today's world, and it has caused an incredible amount of tension between usually calm individuals.
Do you really believe you NEED to point this out?

avidfilmbuff said:
And furthermore, I would never refuse to watch a film, simply because I don't care for the subject matter, it would be hypocritical of me.
Anything like declaring: "It's the only subject, besides my personal life, that I refuse to speak about."?

avidfilmbuff said:
I don't where in my post you got that idea, but it is totally false. There are many films in which I disagreed with the moral stance, but I still enjoyed because of the film's quality.
But you would never engage in discourse about a film which presented or focused on the subject of abortion, because that would make you a hypocrite?

avidfilmbuff said:
How was I rude? In declaring my astonishment?

I stand by my earlier comment that you are oblivious, and evidence lies in another thread...

avidfilmbuff

Rocket Surgeon said:
I did

...and yet you have and just did again. If it's such a taboo for you why do you continue to engage and worse yet feel the need to ward off others like some psuedo guardian?

Do you really believe you NEED to point this out?

Anything like declaring: "It's the only subject, besides my personal life, that I refuse to speak about."?

But you would never engage in discourse about a film which presented or focused on the subject of abortion, because that would make you a hypocrite?

How was I rude? In declaring my astonishment?

I stand by my earlier comment that you are oblivious, and evidence lies in another thread...

And what thread would that be?

Okay, okay fine, I guess you're right, maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut about the whole abortion thing. I've just had some terrible experiences with conversations involving abortion, and sometimes I feel the need to warn others in order to avoid my bad experiences.

But I don't see how this makes me oblivious. A busybody, perhaps, or self righteous, or sanctimonious, and for that I apologize. But I don't see how that would make me oblivious.

avidfilmbuff said:
And what thread would that be?
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=472129#post472129

avidfilmbuff said:
Okay, okay fine, I guess you're right, maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut about the whole abortion thing.
Write what you want. Though it's taken on a second life, the thread began primarily as commentary. It struck me as odd for a person who takes on the name: avid film buff to nominate themself a sort of MPAA for a thread whose title screams controversy, this being a board about discussing a film series.

avidfilmbuff said:
I've just had some terrible experiences with conversations involving abortion, and sometimes I feel the need to warn others in order to avoid my bad experiences.
Which without any specific examples comes across like chicken little crying: the sky is falling.

avidfilmbuff said:
But I don't see how this makes me oblivious. A busybody, perhaps, or self righteous, or sanctimonious, and for that I apologize. But I don't see how that would make me oblivious.
Check out post 22 on the link above and see if that helps clear things up.

Max McCoy puts it into perspective in an interview that should air on the next Indy Cast.

avidfilmbuff

Rocket Surgeon said:
Write what you want. Though it's taken on a second life, the thread began primarily as commentary. It struck me as odd for a person who takes on the name: avid film buff to nominate themself a sort of MPAA for a thread whose title screams controversy, this being a board about discussing a film series.

Which without any specific examples comes across like chicken little crying: the sky is falling.

I'd like to try to explain my behavior, you see I was actually thinking quite a bit about the past conversations I had about abortions with other people when I came across your thread. Immediately I had a feeling of "oh no not again." So when I made my foolish post, I wasn't thinking, I was acting on impulse. Now I greatly regret my post.

Oh, and I understand what you meant when you said I was oblivious. I didn't know it was a continuation of another discussion.

You're absolutely right about my hypocrisy, I should have heeded my own advice. I apologize

avidfilmbuff said:
I'd like to try to explain my behavior, you see I was actually thinking quite a bit about the past conversations I had about abortions with other people when I came across your thread. Immediately I had a feeling of "oh no not again." So when I made my foolish post, I wasn't thinking, I was acting on impulse. Now I greatly regret my post.Oh, and I understand what you meant when you said I was oblivious. I didn't know it was a continuation of another discussion.You're absolutely right about my hypocrisy, I should have heeded my own advice. I apologize
Don't get all hot and bothered, it's not really a big deal. I understand your reasons, you've mentioned them a few times. Not so much a continuation as inspiration.

Montana Smith

avidfilmbuff said:
I'd like to try to explain my behavior, you see I was actually thinking quite a bit about the past conversations I had about abortions with other people when I came across your thread. Immediately I had a feeling of "oh no not again." So when I made my foolish post, I wasn't thinking, I was acting on impulse. Now I greatly regret my post.

Oh, and I understand what you meant when you said I was oblivious. I didn't know it was a continuation of another discussion.

You're absolutely right about my hypocrisy, I should have heeded my own advice. I apologize

In the light of revelations, this may make more sense now:

Montana Smith said:
Don't mind Rocket, it's obvious you're oblivious that he has the devil in him again!

'Tis the season of the Rocket. Yesterday he launched his payload, and there's no aborting take-off.

Where it'll land nobody knows, but it's sure to be where angels fear to tread.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Don't get all hot and bothered, it's not really a big deal. I understand your reasons, you've mentioned them a few times. Not so much a continuation as inspiration.

Inspiration:

the act of breathing in AIR;

stimulation by a divinity or spirit (like a DEVIL?)

What a tangled web of threads you weave in the playground. ;)

Montana Smith said:
Inspiration:

the act of breathing in AIR;

stimulation by a divinity or spirit (like a DEVIL?)

What a tangled web of threads you weave in the playground. ;)
The Abortion Thread seems to have taken on a life of it's own...:whip: