Indy rips his pants??

chr0n0naut

Ok I gotta ask coz it is bugging me...

When Indy drops the switchblade from his shoulder after he and Mutt knock Dovchenko out in the back of the truck, he opens it and we hear a tearing sound. Mutt says "Ah, ****". But what happened?

Did Indy rip his pants or something? They certainly dont appear ripped in the following action scene. Not entirely sure what happned here and wouldn't mind some clarification.

sandiegojones

I agree it's not very clear. I first assumed that Indy got the knife, dropped it into his hand and when opening the switchblade he cut the tarp around the bed of the truck, and Mutt saying "oh sh!t" implied he dropped it out of the truck. There are slats between the wood beams behind Indy and so I assumed he pretended to the lose knife when we heard the rip.

I know a few others thought that too, but many here have failed to see that as a possibility and that it's just a bad joke. Yet his pants are not ripped and no other explanation is given. I can find no reason for Mutt to react the way he does unless the intention of the joke is for Mutt to think Indy lost it. I got it right away (perhaps because I paid attention to the set design) but people keep doubting it or saying that it's too convoluted for a joke.

emtiem

Good point- I thought it was the trouser thing too when it happened, but it didn't go any further and I got confused. Odd.

Forbidden Eye

When I first heard it, my guess was that he accidently stabbed himself. Now I just assumed he rips his pants.

I think it was an idea that was clever and explanatory on paper, but just didn't translate well on film.

James

chr0n0naut said:
Did Indy rip his pants or something?

I also thought it was a nod to the old 'ripped pants' gag. The fact that we don't really see his pants ripped is irrelevant.

For example, they used the exact same gag several years ago on "Friends". The gang was throwing a surprise party, and everyone had to crouch down to hide behind furniture. The lights were turned off and a ripping sound was heard, followed by Ross' dad (Elliott Gould) exclaiming, "Oh crap." The audience laughed and the pants were never actually shown to be ripped.

I think the problem with the gag in KOTCS isn't the editing or the dialogue- it's just the fact that it's an old joke. Kids are going to take it literally, and try to see if Indy's pants are actually ripped. When they're not, confusion sets in.

Ultimately, the scene is nothing more than Mutt expressing doubt over Indy's ability to rescue them. Whether you want to interpet the sound as Indy nearly losing the knife or ripping his pants, Mutt's reaction still works the same. He's essentially saying, "We're screwed, because this guy doesn't know what he's doing."

Jones Disciple

It almost seems like Mutt's line is refering to the fact that he landed the knife on Indy's shoulder but the idea got lost in the editing. If I ever meet anyone involved with this scene that is the first thing I will ask them.

snake_surprise

I think Harrison just had an epiphany that he was in a horrible movie but remembered he was getting paid enough for another few personal planes and helicopters so he kept going on with the 'acting'.

caats

snake_surprise said:
I think Harrison just had an epiphany that he was in a horrible movie but remembered he was getting paid enough for another few personal planes and helicopters so he kept going on with the 'acting'.

yeah that was it. you really showed your intelligence when you figured this one out

snake_surprise

caats said:
yeah that was it. you really showed your intelligence when you figured this one out
No, seriously...that was part of the story.

Or maybe I should stop joking, otherwise you will blow a gasket.
Here, let me tell you what you want to hear:

Indy 4 rulz! Crystal Skull was the best ever!!!

Deckard

snake_surprise said:

OMG Like Toht-ally Crystal Skulls was the best movie film for theatres in the history of human being mankind. Even Jesus would have liked it and he rode dinosaurs. I actually Texted through the whole movie, but what I heard sounded exciting. Magic and Lollipops and sparkles, Bring on Indy 5 so we can have more toys!

:rolleyes: :gun: :dead:

caats

snake_surprise said:

LYK OMGZ!?? R U F'REALZ? U H8D IT 2? LETS B BFF!! hai i no! if u lykd it, dat mean u think it best evr!?? DUH'Z. dey all foolz.

cause this is how people speak right?

so this doesn't get ridiculous, who cares.

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

You know, if you KOTCS haters are really that much smarter than us KOTCS lovers, wouldn't you have better things to do in life than waste it hijacking threads with senseless rants?

Can we just get back to the pants scene?

Sankara

@forbidden eye
Don't forget: KOTCS Haters are INDY Lovers. That's why we are here... :D

Back to topic:

I guess this "joke" went wrong... like so many scenes in this movie...

snake_surprise

caats said:
LYK OMGZ!?? R U F'REALZ? U H8D IT 2? LETS B BFF!! hai i no! if u lykd it, dat mean u think it best evr!?? DUH'Z. dey all foolz.

cause this is how people speak right?

so this doesn't get ridiculous, who cares.
You're a tad slow, man.

The whole 'rulz' comment was intended to sound trite and silly/childish...throwing a pretentious line of false positives at you about this ridiculous movie.

You kinda compounded all of this by not only not getting the joke but by also spewing out a bunch of similar lines and phrases like a junior high kid texting his/her friends. Congrats, you know more of that inane lingo than most people. Well done.

And yes, real fans like myself have every reason to spit and crap all over this movie because we are not only hard core fans, but we know what Indiana Jones is and who he is...and this amazing character was rarely seen in Indy 4.

People like myself who feel like I do on this movie will stay in this forum and throw out our two cents when we feel the inclination.

Get over it.

Last edited:

Deckard

Forbidden Eye said:
You know, if you KOTCS haters are really that much smarter than us KOTCS lovers, wouldn't you have better things to do in life than waste it hijacking threads with senseless rants?

Can we just get back to the pants scene?

You mean senseless rants like that one? And this one? :hat:

Indy Croft

the entire audience laughed back when i was watching that in the theater. I though he ripped his pants but i too got confused when he's pants turned out ok. For a while, I even thought he poked his own ass

Dr. HenryJones.jr

Perhaps isn't on the DVDs Behind the scene, or?

I am not sure, that the ripped pants... what did you mean? from scene: Jungle the car? I think, this movie was mistake and error from the scene renew played without problems. I do not know...

caats

yah i remember laughing, then when he got free, not knowing why i was laughing. i remember being confused when Indy got hit in the face by the mirror in Raiders cause it was ambiguous with the scream. but i got it pretty quick