TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #51
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

The goal for Paramount and Lucasfilm is one and only one: MONEY. They want to cash in as much money as they can on the Jones name. Personaly, I don't think the movies will ever be touched. Artistically, they are Spielberg's films and he has expressed no intention in tweaking them. So, the game will have to be played among the extras.

One thing that we all want to see is more Indy footage and they can offer it in the form of deleted scenes and making of documentries. Now, with the new film to be released the thurst for Indy stuff is bigger than ever. Bigger than it was in Raiders' days. Why not get some extra cash by releasing the films again and offer the "Original Award-winning Documentaries" with a preview of Crystal Skull? It will not be the first time in the industry. Any major franchise has seen it. In such case I will buy the films only because I want the making of's in a proffesionally enhanced quality than the VHS transfers I have made myself. So, I know I'm putting money on that and not the films, and the companies know it.

When Crystal Skull comes to home entertainment we'll get a double disc DVD fully packed as Episode III was and later on a package of all four films, perhaps each one with it's behind the scenes footage. Same happened to Spider-Man this year, a package of three double disc films. But this Indy quatrilogy boxset probably won't have the extras of the first DVD boxset which will make it rare and some fans who resisted it the first time may want to buy it after all.

A definite or ultimate Blu-Ray collection with the four films and all the extra footage previously released will, if ever, come in a five to ten years time upon "fan's demand". Hardcore fans have not that much patience and companies know it, too.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #52
Playmount
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jones-
Yeah, but they must first remaster it to HD, not only by changing the resolution, but enchance the image quality... If they won't do this, there is no point of buying the first three films on Bluray.

All three films have already been restored in (at least) 2k resolution by Lowry Digital Images (now DTS Digital Images) for the 2003 DVD release. They are just sitting there in HD waiting to be authored for Blu-ray (you can see glimpses of them in the new KOTCS trailer). I cannot imagine Paramount and Lucasfilm letting this opportunity of a new Indy movie coming out in theaters -- the first Indy movie in 19 years -- and not finally release these classic films in HD.

http://www.apple.com/ca/pro/film/lowry/

I have a pre-Lowry 1080i HD broadcast of "RAIDERS" on my PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how great the eventual Blu-ray will look. The only thing that bothers me about my HD copy (other than the few cuts and censored lines of dialogue) is that annoying blue emulsion scratch that is throughout the middle of the film... buy Lowry Digital removed it (almost completely) in 2003.
Playmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #53
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

The original special edition was pretty good
But the absense of deleted scenes and commentaries were something that I was missing
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #54
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmount
I have a pre-Lowry 1080i HD broadcast of "RAIDERS" on my PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how great the eventual Blu-ray will look. The only thing that bothers me about my HD copy (other than the few cuts and censored lines of dialogue) is that annoying blue emulsion scratch that is throughout the middle of the film... buy Lowry Digital removed it (almost completely) in 2003.
WOW, Playmount, you are one lucky son-of-a-*#&! Welcome to The Raven!
Where and when was this broadcast? I have The Movie Network in HD but they
never show Indy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVendetta17x
The original special edition was pretty good
By "special edition" do you mean the DVD because the snake reflection was removed?

It's a good bet that this new release will include a sneak-peek of "Crystal Skull"
that will be *exclusive* to that boxed set.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #55
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Some Exclusive Sneak Peek, since Kingdom comes out a week after it's released
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #56
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Some Exclusive Sneak Peek, since Kingdom comes out a week after it's released
By "exclusive", I meant not available anywhere else. Fish bait, y'know?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #57
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I guess
I'd get in anyway because it's Indy
I still think they should wait till KOTCS comes out on DVD
Instead of using it as a promotional tool
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #58
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGemni
Someone asked for the link, here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-...3576456&sr=1-1

ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #59
ElsaFan
IndyFan

If there's new stuff involving Alison Doody, I will cough up the cash.
ElsaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #60
Major West
IndyFan

They've probably taken the bonus material from the 4th disc of the old boxset and split them up so each film becomes a two disc set. They'll probably have really cool cover art so that we collectors won't be able to resist buying them again.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #61
deckard24
IndyFan

I'll hold out for the Blu-Ray edition. Since the format war is now over, you can bet they'll drop the prices on the players and discs, and Indy will definitely be one of the first I get!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #62
drjones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
By "exclusive", I meant not available anywhere else. Fish bait, y'know?

Not enough reason for me to go out and buy it again yet. Nice try, LucasFilm, but no dice.
drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #63
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

As a fan i'll pick it up for the sake of having it
Old 02-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #64
OmegaSeamaster
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
One thing that we all want to see is more Indy footage and they can offer it in the form of deleted scenes and making of documentries.

Personally, I was not impressed with the Indy DVDs that were released. The lack of commentary tracks and deleted scenes to me was inexcusable, and frankly it didn't surprise me given the poor fan-service track record by Lucasfilm. The flanneled one makes no illusions that he's only out to get your hard-earned cash, and if he's got to release the same movies 50 times, he will.

Plus, while the Lowery restoration work was fantastic, there's clearly something funky going on when Indy's getting the spiders off of Satipo's back. You can see the picture blur in and out of focus. This is also apparent at the very end of the film when Indy and Marion are walking down the steps arm in arm. Look at the top of the shot and it's all a warped blur.

Hopefully the Blu-Ray versions of the films will give fans everything they want with the blurs corrected.
OmegaSeamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #65
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSeamaster
Personally, I was not impressed with the Indy DVDs that were released. The lack of commentary tracks and deleted scenes to me was inexcusable, and frankly it didn't surprise me given the poor fan-service track record by Lucasfilm. The flanneled one makes no illusions that he's only out to get your hard-earned cash, and if he's got to release the same movies 50 times, he will.

Plus, while the Lowery restoration work was fantastic, there's clearly something funky going on when Indy's getting the spiders off of Satipo's back. You can see the picture blur in and out of focus. This is also apparent at the very end of the film when Indy and Marion are walking down the steps arm in arm. Look at the top of the shot and it's all a warped blur.

Hopefully the Blu-Ray versions of the films will give fans everything they want with the blurs corrected.
You're wrong on this. Speilberg does not do, nor will he allow commentary on his films. Lucasfilm produced many other DVD's that have commentary. It's not with Indy due to Steven.

The special features are decent and the image transfer is great for standard DVD. The picture blur in Raiders is from the lens when they shot that scene in 1980.

And fans will never get what they want because they are never satisfied.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #66
OmegaSeamaster
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
The special features are decent and the image transfer is great for standard DVD. The picture blur in Raiders is from the lens when they shot that scene in 1980.

Really? I don't remember seeing blur at all on the original VHS versions, and after watching the films about 200 times each as a kid, I'm suprised I never noticed.

It didn't take me more than one viewing to see the blur on the DVDs, but perhaps that's because DVD makes everything more apparent as a superior medium.

Plus, I wouldn't say fans are never satisfied. From the get go (before the set was even a reality) all I wanted were the deleted scenes. If they were included I would have been stoked.

I guess we should look at it in this light...Indy's gun wasn't digitally removed and replaced with a walkie-talkie, nor were the special effects "enhanced" to match someone's "original vision." That in itself is a BLESSING.
OmegaSeamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #67
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
You're wrong on this. Speilberg does not do, nor will he allow commentary on his films. Lucasfilm produced many other DVD's that have commentary. It's not with Indy due to Steven.

I didn't know Steven didn't do commentary's? Why's that?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #68
AHegele
IndyFan

Quote:
I didn't know Steven didn't do commentary's? Why's that?

1. he doesn't want anything interfering with his work while we are watching it
2. he doesn't want every little element to be exposed. loosing the magic.
AHegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #69
Blue Jay
IndyFan

Quote:

while the overall picture quality is great, there are also some scene in LC when Henry Jones Sen. and indy are driving with Sallah in Iskenderun and talking about that they are losing if they finish second.
It is all blurry and out of focus.
Still i think it was a great dvd set!
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #70
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Hey, I thought I'm the only one to notice the former. Otherwise the Lowry work is great indeed.
It might be due to the semi-automatic process - just guessing; in Star Wars there's another such glitch: Because of conservative algorithms (they surely don't do this by hand like Criterion used to!) in one shot there's a big speck of dust on the left side of C3PO while he's wandering around in the desert, which even got _sharper_ and more _noticeable_. Hmmm, you have to take the bad with the good - otherwise these Lowry scans and transfers are great. One of the big eye-openers/demo DVDs for me has always been one of the first he did, which is 'North by Northwest'. The only gripe I have w/ this version is the fact that he did away with all film grain too, which makes it too clean for comfort/film...

Hmm, didn't notice the latter though.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with focus artifacts of anamorphic Panavision photography? (Which I _love_! Sadly it's nearly a thing of the past now - even the new Indy seems to have been shot in Super35 - I think I have to start another thread!! )

Last edited by martinland : 02-26-2008 at 04:52 AM.
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #71
Blue Jay
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinland

Hmm, didn't notice the latter though.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with focus artifacts of anamorphic Panavision photography? (Which I _love_! Sadly it's nearly a thing of the past now - even the new Indy seems to have been shot in Super35 - I think I have to start another thread!! )

I really have no idea what that is, but i thought it fits the description above
Could be anything.

It was just something that bothered me a bit.
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #72
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay
I really have no idea what that is, but i thought it fits the description above
Could be anything.
It was just something that bothered me a bit.

Case solved.

I just popped in my beloved DVD. Yep, just what I thought:

What you're looking at is an artifact of anamorphic Panavision lenses.
Not the artistic lack/separation of depth of field I love, but uneven focus: The top part of frame in this shot is blurred.
(You may also notice that it's just this one shot, whereas the visual blunder in the Satipo sequence goes on and on (sadly). Looks to me like a combination of mis-registered source footage and erroneous automatic correction to make it worse...)

This is not the glory of anamorphic Panavision I am talking about in another thread. It isn't Lowry's fault either, it's in the original photography.

E.g. the glory of anamorphic can be seen just...
*counts*
...exactly three shots earlier, the medium (nowadays it would be a 'Bourne'-in-your-face closeup !) close up of Indy turning to Marion on the stairs:

You see the beautiful out-of-focus elliptical lights in the background? That's movie magic and totally unreal, I love it!

No such thing in the LotR trilogy or any other Super35mm scope production...
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #73
Perhilion
IndyFan

odds are the new collection will come in some fancy box, like a crate from the warehouse or even the ark.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #74
Wu_Han
IndyFan

Quote:
And fans will never get what they want because they are never satisfied.

Amen to that!
Wu_Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #75
snake_surprise
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy fan 235
Oh boy, something tells me Lucas is going to make all the snakes Indy was afraid of in the Well of Souls turn out to be gummy worms.

That is hilarious.

And I wouldn't put it past him, either.
snake_surprise is offline   Reply With Quote