Lincoln

Michael24

Harrison Ford is in the film as well, isn't he? I always thought he would make a great Lincoln after seeing him in-character for a photo shoot.

harrison-ford-lincoln.jpg

The_Raiders

What movie is this? I've always been interested in Lincoln stuff, I've done lots of reading about him. When does it come out.

Travis85

It is based off of the book called 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The book focuses on Lincolns leadership style and the fact that he elected his staunchest rival republicans to his cabinet. This movie has been in the planning for a few years I think, and I think it is Spielbergs next movie. Most sources list 2009 as its release date. I think in fact that Spielberg was originally going to make this movie earlier, but went with Indy 4 instead.

Stoo

"Honest Abe" has been portrayed so many times but, yes, I am looking forward to this!(y)
I think L.Neeson will do a fine job.

Abraham Lincoln is a life-long hero of mine...(to paraphrase):
"Was man meant to live for only a day? No."

Michael24

Travis85 said:
I don't know if he is in the movie, but I know that Liam Neeson is already confirmed as Lincoln.

Finally found it. It had previously been reported that Ford would play Col. Everton Conger, who leads the search for Lincoln's assassin. If the film is about the search, then I'm guessing Neeson will only be seen briefly? Unless the film is comprised of various flashbacks or something.

Travis85 said:
I also read that John Williams expressed interest in scoring it.

Being a Spielberg-directed movie, Williams' involvement is pretty much locked before pre-production even begins. :D

Travis85

The movie will focus on Lincoln, and Neeson will be the star of the movie. Anything involved in the search for his assassin will probably be at the very end of the movie.

Wikipedia also lists him as scoring the movie, for what it's worth. I think Spielberg wants to make the movie now so it can be released in 09, since it will be the bicentennial of Lincolns birth.

Michael24

That's just what I remember reading, that the film would be set after Lincoln's assassin and follow the search for the man responsible. I guess the script has maybe had some changes, since it was apparently pushed back when Spielberg decided to finally do KOTCS first.

Stoo

Joe Brody said:
Love Lincoln. Love Neeson as an actor. But I do not like the idea of Neeson as Lincoln.
Is it a physical resemblence issue for you or would it be a matter of his accent? I think he can pull it off.

One of my favourite Lincoln quotes (paraphrasing):
"Better to be silent and be thought a fool then to speak aloud and remove all doubt." (Oh, the wit!):)

Here's one that Indy must have recalled on the Bantu Wind:
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years."

B. Brown

I'm looking forward to this.

Hopefully it'll be as brilliant as "Schindler's List" was. Certainly sounds like the story has potential.

I'm also hoping we'll get a really new and original John Williams score.

|ZiR|

I wonder if it'll touch on Lincoln's possibly homosexuality, and his relationships with Joshua Speed, and his bodyguard-***-bedfellow David Derickson.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Stoo said:
Is it a physical resemblence issue for you or would it be a matter of his accent? I think he can pull it off.

Neeson, like Samuel L. Jackson, is over-exposed. I fear he got cast because of his trademark haunted expression. I loved it in Rob Roy -- but I hate seeing the expression being used again and again.

Plus, Neeson's a good Irishman. I'd rather see him in things more along those lines.

eroc

Great. That's all we need. A film about a man that declared war on and murdered his on people. :rolleyes:

kind of a joke. just wanted to see the response I got. But being a southerner, on second thought, I don't want to give the impression that I'm backwards or a rebel flag waving redneck.

Last edited:

Kingsley

Joe Brody said:
Neeson, like Samuel L. Jackson, is over-exposed. I fear he got cast because of his trademark haunted expression. I loved it in Rob Roy -- but I hate seeing the expression being used again and again.

Plus, Neeson's a good Irishman. I'd rather see him in things more along those lines.
What ancestry had Lincoln?

Neeson was everywhere a couple of years ago. Nowadays I see him not so frequently (as Samuel Jackson anyway).
This could surely be a good movie. I remember Amistad, it was flawed... but somehow I enjoeyd it too.

Travis85

Well, I don't want to get too political since obviously there are some who disagree with the civil war. No matter how you look at it though, it is hard to imagine the side fighting against slavery as being bad guys.