TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #26
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate
Ok pale horse here we go... sorry I made you wait so long.

Best picture... "Moulin Rouge."It's completely unique, and Baz Luhrmann is a genius. There is no other movie quite like this one. An awesome achievement.

Best director.... Spielberg (cliche, I'm sorry. I knew you were hoping I'd be more original). He is THE giant in the business. So many great movies, from "Minority Report" to, of course, Indy. And no misstep but "A.I."

Best actor.... I'm gonna be wierd here and go with Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day." His transformation from selfish to selfless is brilliant. He's the rare man who is funny by NOT being funny!

Best actress.... Kelly McGillis in "Witness." She is better at acting like an Amish woman than a real Amish woman would be! (and palehorse, remind me to tell you my funny Amish story sometime)

Best supporting actor.... Joaquin Pheonix in "Gladiator." A creepy and underrated performance.

Best supporting actress... I love Catherine McCormack in "Braveheart." She is just so beautiful and inspiring. PS: Does anyone else think she looks like Eowyn from "The Lord of the Rings?"

Best original screenplay.... This is the award I want to win someday! My choice for this is unusual: "Moonlight Mile." Kind of obscure, I know, but it's extremely sharp and well-written.

Best adapted screenplay: "Big Fish." This book was effortlessly adapted for screen, so effortlessly that it feels completely original, and not like the writers were trying to be faithful to a text.

Best original score.... "The Last of the Mohicans" wins hands down. I have listened to it countless times, and it never fails to move me.

Best cinematography.... "Girl With a Pearl Earring" has by and far the most lush photography I've ever seen. There is absolutely no comparison. If you haven't seen this movie, you must. It is an incredible experience!

and now for a category of my own....

Best documentary.... "Touching the Void." It's brand-new, but by far the best documentary I've ever seen, and I have seen a lot! It's inspiring and just as thrilling as any suspense movie. I think that Raveners would really enjoy it.

Yes, I know I put a lot of new movies, but in my opinion, movies are getting better, not worse. *ducks to avoid a punch thrown by Ren.*

So there you have it.

Waiting is half the fun.

I must say you have a great eye for performances and pictures that are both original and quirky for lack of a better word. As I read through the lists, I can almost see the Raven personality come through each one. It's almost like gaining a picture of the person who writes the list. There is a great deal of sentimentality throughout your picks. I think that is a good quality for you, especially as you aspire to become a screenwriter. To many people fall into cynicism and the pieces become too dark (even If I like it) but the better movies seem to be more in your style.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #27
Kate
IndyFan

Location: The Wild, Wild West (though there are places I'd rather be and a certain place I left my heart)
Why, thank you.

and pray, what might that picture look like?
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #28
Pale Horse

Beauty.

there's more to that answer than you might think.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #29
Kate
IndyFan

Location: The Wild, Wild West (though there are places I'd rather be and a certain place I left my heart)
Do elaborate, my love.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:53 PM   #30
Pale Horse

Here? I wish this forum was appropriate for that.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 PM   #31
Kate
IndyFan

as do I, my dearest one.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #32
Pale Horse

Wait a sec, just because I'm mildly charming, comicly witty, undeniably brilliant, devastatingly handsome, unquestionably rugged, and unsurpassably modest, I don't feel like I should be deemed to be your dearest one.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #33
Kate
IndyFan

Don't flatter yourself, love. I'm easily the most wonderous-looking woman in the world, surpassing even Aphrodite, and I'm as kind as I am beautiful. I am also humble, modest, and charitable. You should feel lucky I call you my dearest one. ;0
Old 02-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #34
Pale Horse

"Lucks got nothin' to do with it, kid"
Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #35
westford
IndyFan

*ahem* get a room you guys...

Favourite song from Moulin Rouge would have to be either Spectacular Spectacular, or the version of Like A Virgin - cracks me up every time!
westford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #36
Kate
IndyFan

are those on the Moulin Rouge 2 cd?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:41 PM   #37
Strider
IndyFan

Arrow unsurpassably modest-apalehorse

Modest?! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Whew, good times.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote