The Amazing Spider-Man

TheMutt92

YouNeverKnow said:
But this new suit manages to capture something....even though I disagree with some streamlined aspects. (No belt? Where are his extra cartridges or the Spidey Signal gonna go? Why do the gloves have that weird flaming shape?)

Perhaps this is an early version of the suit. In the orginal Spiderman he went through two different outfits, and in The Dark Knight even Batman got an upgrade. So perhaps as the film or franchise progresses, his outfit will become more like the standard image.

Dr Bones

Montana Smith said:
T One of the reasons I never understood the love for Superman, was that Supes was so phenominally super-powered. I prefer heroes brought down to a more human level, even if they are super-strong and have a tingling sense of danger.

When you write about a Superman yet show his humanity, his weaknesses and flaws, his turmoil, his fears and his failures....all at the hands of mere mortals an make the reader feel it, then that's when you can write. (y) Give Red Son a shot as an alternative Superman read.

DocWhiskey

If you have a great writer, you should be able to relate to the character no matter what it is. Whether you're a super powered alien or a nerdy teen with spider-like powers. Aren't the freakin' toys in Toy Story something to relate to? Nowadays when you ask someone who their favorite superhero is they say Batman. And when asked why it's always along the line of, "Because he's realistic. He's a guy in a suit." In theory, yes, but if you actually READ comic books you'd realize Batman punched just as many strange interdimsensional creatures, has been in space plenty of times, and has time traveled as much as Superman. No superhero is very realistic obviously, but if you have a great writer on the script your character could/should be relatable.

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
If you have a great writer, you should be able to relate to the character no matter what it is. Whether you're a super powered alien or a nerdy teen with spider-like powers. Aren't the freakin' toys in Toy Story something to relate to? Nowadays when you ask someone who their favorite superhero is they say Batman. And when asked why it's always along the line of, "Because he's realistic. He's a guy in a suit." In theory, yes, but if you actually READ comic books you'd realize Batman punched just as many strange interdimsensional creatures, has been in space plenty of times, and has time traveled as much as Superman. No superhero is very realistic obviously, but if you have a great writer on the script your character could/should be relatable.

Yes, writing has a great deal to play in holding your attention, and bringing a character to life. Though I've never found Superman to be very engaging, because his limits were literally out of this world. Batman and Detective Comics books are the most prized in my collection. I rarely get the urge to look at the covers of the various Superman titles.

Batman has lived through many strange tales, but he's always been limited by his physical humanity. Hence his great intellect, and his need to design methods to deal with his opponents. Essentially, I think it's because Batman has more vulnerabilities, that I can relate to him as a character.

Another favourite has always been Wolverine, and the X-Men. Each character has something unique, so when you remove one or more characters from a situation, the whole dynamic of a story can change. With Superman it's all or nothing, as he is virtually everything.

Even wiith his powers Spider-Man is much closer to Batman than he is to Superman.

Dr Bones

A few more new costume photos here.

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/21416

I am a little less sure now...:( Too much detail. OTT and seems like a cheap Marvel action figure alternative/variant costume, like fireman spidey!

Parker ran this up on his aunt's sewing machine? ;)

I hope they sort out the eyes as they are visible.

It's Spider-man, but it ain't Spidey!

Last edited:

kongisking

My only two gripes are: blue fingers and Nike-esque shoes. Other than those, I'm fine with the new look. Read my post above for my philosophy concerning superhero costumes in film.

Dr Bones

kongisking said:
My only two gripes are: blue fingers and Nike-esque shoes. Other than those, I'm fine with the new look. Read my post above for my philosophy concerning superhero costumes in film.

I agree to an extent with your earlier point but Spidey's suit is an entirely different bag of bugs to Bats. Batman's suit whilst theatrical is also ultra functional. i.e disguise, theatrics, gadgets and protection.

The movie Batman suit is just a hi-tech anit-ballistic suit with ears and a cape. Not really bad@$$ looking IMO. I still think he needs to look more menacing.

Spider-man wore the suit as a disguise. A hand made wrestling suit made to seek his fortune, that he wore under his clothes when he took up crime fighting, hence the spandex. The new suit wouldn't hide well under clothes. ;)

Spider-man can pull off a classic comic look costume on film whereas others would struggle.

Edit....the new suit is a bit too shiny/gimpy, S&M meets Olympics suit for my taste

Last edited:

JP Jones

Dr Bones said:
A few more new costume photos here.

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/21416

I am a little less sure now...:( Too much detail. OTT and seems like a cheap Marvel action figure alternative/variant costume, like fireman spidey!

Parker ran this up on his aunt's sewing machine? ;)

I hope they sort out the eyes as they are visible.

It's Spider-man, but it ain't Spidey!
I think those shots are really awesome. I was worried about the eyes, but at least they were "similar" to the old ones. In case you don't know, I think the old spidey costume was AMAZING!

Not A+ work, but a B+ suffices for me.

Dr Bones

MORE....TWO Spider-men? Clone plot? Imposter? Chameleon? My first thought was maybe Garfield is just hiding out of shot whilst the stunt guy does his bit, then he steps in.
But then I thought that just seems too straight forward with techniques and CG used to day, would they do an old school switch like this and isn't it more likely Garfield would be off set or at least totally off camera as he would have to actually get in/out of the car? Why not hide behind the care as oposed to in plain view inside the car?
Or was it just rehearsal? Who knows?!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/02/04/spider-man-reboot-set-photos/

Spidey in action...

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/01/31/spider-man-set-video-shows-spidey-in-action/

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/01/19/spider-man-reboot-set-footage-mask-j-jonah-jameson/

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/01/21/spider-man-reboot-photo-mask-webshooters/

TheMutt92

Called it...

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/02/14/the-amazing-spider-man-movie/

Today, Sony Pictures simultaneously announced the title of the upcoming Spider-Man reboot (now called 'The Amazing Spider-Man') while releasing a brand-new image of Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. After several on-set images of Spider-Man in costume had leaked, this first image of the full Spider-Man costume (mask on and all) looks pretty good.

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ5CAD6424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I never realized Peter Parker was so good with the knitting needles. Must have been watching Aunt May closely for tips. ;)

Yeah, I've always had a problem with the idea of the suit being homemade. I much prefer the Ultimate universe's explanation, where he got it from the wrestling promoter as a gift, and whenever he needed it repaired, the guy would do it himself out of friendship.

Dr Bones

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool suit but I love comic look for Spidey as I have said, Spidey's just about the only who could carry it off.

The webs look too grid like. His melon looks like a basket ball.

I can see why they have had to play around with it to differentiate from the othr movie suits. But it has all the elements I disliked about the last one had without and is now even further removed from the comic source. (n)

It's just to fancy for a struggling/broke high school nerd.

Also, in his world, people would look at the suit and struggle to guess what he's supposed to be. It's not a wrestling suit..it's hardly stealthy or practical or heroic looking and more importantly it just doesn't say "I'm Spider-man".

Montana Smith

Dr Bones said:
His melon looks like a basket ball.

I didn't notice that before. Now Ican't not notice it!

Dr Bones said:
I can see why they have had to play around with it to differentiate from the othr movie suits. But it has all the elements I disliked about the last one had without and is now even further removed from the comic source. (n)

It's just to fancy for a struggling/broke high school nerd.

Also, in his world, people would look at the suit and struggle to guess what he's supposed to be. It's not a wrestling suit..it's hardly stealthy or practical or heroic looking and more importantly it just doesn't say "I'm Spider-man".

Sometimes these movies go so far from the source material. Often it's to make the live-action appear more realistic, but in this case I agree that the suit is just too 'way-out'.

Even Bruce Wayne, with all his wealth, began by incorporating military body armour into his suit. Peter's uniform would more likely be something off the shelf that he's tinkered with. (Which was the premise of Kick-Ass' outfit, which was a wet suit he bought off the internet). Unless this Spidey uniform is the latest wet suit technology...

Dr Bones

Montana Smith said:
I didn't notice that before. Now Ican't not notice it!

Sorry... less Spider more Spalding-man!!

Montana Smith said:
Sometimes these movies go so far from the source material. Often it's to make the live-action appear more realistic, but in this case I agree that the suit is just too 'way-out'.

I like Captain America's comic suit but the new movie version works for me as he is a soldier. Batman Begins and Dark Knight suits are OK, but I still think Batman Returns was closer to being a Bat suit as opposed to just armour with a slight theatrical hint.

I think Spider-man is the one comic hero who's suit can be close to source without comprimising on impact.

The Man

the_amazing_spider-man_teaser_poster2.jpg

TheMutt92

I'm assuming this is official, I'm just curious where you found it cause I havn't seen it pop up on any of the other movie/comic book sites yet.

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
I'm assuming this is official, I'm just curious where you found it cause I havn't seen it pop up on any of the other movie/comic book sites yet.

Right here. Not the most indelible of one-sheets. Hope it ain't a fake. Hate posting porkers...;)