hey wasn't he too old...?

Indy1986

I think it is really ironic that while Indy4 was in production people were complaining about only one thing...Ford's age. The movie was supposed to suck because Harrison would be too old and not able to keep it up with older performances. Now that the movie is finally out people complain about everything but Ford's age. Really I havn't seen anybody saying oh this movie sucks because Ford was just too old....now it is all about the plot, alines, CGI and a so called "tarzan scene". But I think that is a good thing. If Indy4 proved every hater wrong in one point then it was Ford's ability to be still in Indy shape. It's funny how all those that said he was too old are all quiet abotu this and try to tear the movie down with the plot etc.

The Man

Indy1986 said:
I think it is really ironic that while Indy4 was in production people were complaining about only one thing...Ford's age. The movie was supposed to suck because Harrison would be too old and not able to keep it up with older performances. Now that the movie is finally out people complain about everything but Ford's age. Really I havn't seen anybody saying oh this movie sucks because Ford was just too old....now it is all about the plot, alines, CGI and a so called "tarzan scene". But I think that is a good thing. If Indy4 proved every hater wrong in one point then it was Ford's ability to be still in Indy shape. It's funny how all those that said he was too old are all quiet abotu this and try to tear the movie down with the plot etc.

Ford's ability and prowess are not in question. He's the only sliver of dignity the series has left. Spielberg and Lucas may have nuked the fridge but Harrison has not yet jumped the shark. I loved him in Skull - which makes my overall distaste of the movie all the harder. He deserved better...

Raider S

Personally, I do think Ford is too old to play the Indiana Jones many may have been hoping for. No way would I say the guy is in anything but great shape, but I did notice the age while watching.

Also, I wish age had been more of a factor in the story. Not just a few jokes about it, but make it integral to the plot.

eshine

Harrison looked great and his age was handled with much dignity in the film. It also helped that he was reunited with a love interest that didn't look like his daughter (yet another example of Marion / Karen Allen's contribution to the success of Indy 4 :whip:

shoo

Uki

You do have to hand it to him, whether you loved KOTCS or hated it (I love it!), Harrison still has it in him, and he was fantastic.

Marion Fan

I thought Ford was pretty damn good in KOTCS but then again I actually liked the movie. I was so happy they paired him up with Karen Allen again. I would have hated seeing make out with someone Jessica Alba's age. That crap nauseates the hell out of me and takes me straight out of the film.

No Ticket

Raider S said:
Personally, I do think Ford is too old to play the Indiana Jones many may have been hoping for. No way would I say the guy is in anything but great shape, but I did notice the age while watching.

Also, I wish age had been more of a factor in the story. Not just a few jokes about it, but make it integral to the plot.

It would've been heart wrenching to find a scene in this movie where his age prevented him from being able to save someone...

I think instead of making him "more like his father" and slightly "joking" about it... they should have had him for the most part still able to do all the things he used to... but at some point it catches up to him and he isn't able to do something he would have been able to do in his youth and maybe Mutt has to help him out to save the day... or someone dies in tragedy because of his mistake to think he is as young as he used to be.

Insomniac

There was nothing wrong with Harrison's age or Indy 4 as long as Harrison is Indy, Lucas and Spielberg are allowed to make as many as the want but that's just one fans perspective.

Indy~Annie

Insomniac said:
There was nothing wrong with Harrison's age or Indy 4 as long as Harrison is Indy, Lucas and Spielberg are allowed to make as many as the want but that's just one fans perspective.

make that 2 fans perspective.:)

HovitosKing

Indy1986 said:

He was too old. Thanks for reminding us.

Kooshmeister

Well, when is too old too old? At what age is a person no longer allowed to play the hero? It's pretty disturbing to me that I have to even ask, especially in this day and age of over-emphasis on younger and younger heroes. Oh, sure, the old timers are still hanging around, but it seems like every new action movie that comes out, they're relegated to supporting roles while some fresh face I've never heard of before, and who looks barely even twenty, is the hero. So kudos to Crystal Skull and to any movie that says the hell with that, and dares to have middle-aged or older main characters and tell the world, life does in fact continue after fifty.

Kingsley

He wasn't too old, but he was old. And I liked it. As many say, Ford was the best part of the movie.
No Ticket said:
... or someone dies in tragedy because of his mistake to think he is as young as he used to be.
Any idea that includes some 'danger' and 'dramatic challenge' shines in front of the safe version we got.

Sam Falco

I have a few words for you...

Bruce Willis

Harrison Ford

Sean Connery (till he retired)

All these men built their careers off of action hero parts and they continued to do action movies as they aged. Connery was making them right up till he retired, Ford is still at it and Bruce... Well, look at Live Free or Die Hard and I DARE you to tell me he's too old to kick your ass.

The big problem with modern day action heroes is that they're oftentimes too afraid to get gritty and almost overtly violent, they water these guys down so much its ridiculous, IE: The Mummy series as it goes on, any action movie Mathew Mchonohay (misspelled, I know) has done and of course, Nick Cage.

Thats another point though, guts like Brendan Fraser and Daniel Craig are newer action dudes and he seems to have the right style to follow in the legends' footsteps, but it seems Hollywood is dead set not to allow them to. Guys like Jason Statham are managing to break through a bit, but they still put him in ****ty movies like Revolver to balance the scales.

Summary: The older badasses can still hack it, the younger guys need to get with the program and roll in the dirt a bit.

eshine

Raider S said:
Yeah, that's been a real box office draw...:rolleyes:
700 Million - I'm sure some of it had to do with the excitement of their reuinion, it sure made me want to see it more.

The Man

Sankara said:
Ford looks great! His age not the problem of "Indy 4". Its this lousy and embarrassing script....

Exactly. People were focusing their neuroses on the wrong elements before the film (Ford's age, Abner Ravenwood, the Ark) while we all took for granted that the real Steven Spielberg would turn up and hammer out a decent film. He. Did. Not.

graz

The Man said:
Exactly. People were focusing their neuroses on the wrong elements before the film (Ford's age, Abner Ravenwood, the Ark) while we all took for granted that the real Steven Spielberg would turn up and hammer out a decent film. He. Did. Not.

Yes. He. Did. (y)