Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

It would be pretty ironic if Indy were to go after the fountain of youth. What with all the buzz about Harrisons age and all. But the actual legend would be interesting to visit, then the climax could give Indy his youth back - using CGI effects. then Lucas could make two more indy films until Indy gets too old again...

Venture

I like this, implied sarcasm included. It would be quite a master stroke to those who would criticize simply on the paltry beef of Ford's age. It would have an element of unreality beyond what was previously displayed, but that's nothing Lucas and Spielberg aren't well-equipped to deal with.

bob

Hmmmmm, well it is always good to hear about new (sensible) ideas for artifacts

It is extremely similar to the Grail
The de ageing thing doesnt really achieve anything unless it is set in the 1990's

But is anyone aware of the legend about the Fountain of Life, as i am entirely ignorant....

Venture

Only that there are several legends. Even Biblically, the "river of life" which is located in Heaven. And that Ponce de Leon was searching for it and climbed to have found it in Florida, which explains all the retirement villages. But you've made me curious, so I'll be getting back to you on it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The greatest problem with a "Fountain of Youth" type artifact is that it has been done, and any further attempt would either be a rehash of the Grail or hokey, even though I think that, from a symbolic perspective, eternal youth represents redeeming yourself for past wrongs.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
thegreatimposter said:
Attila the Professor said:
...eternal youth represents redeeming yourself for past wrongs...

Hmmm. I don't get it. Please explain professor...

Okay, not so much eternal youth as eternal life. Consider the Grail. According to Christian lore, it is a part of the whole Crucifixtion thing. Of course, the purpose of that was the redeem God's children for their sins. So, the Grail represents this redemption.

This is not uncommon. For example, the Epic of Gilgamesh is largely about a quest for eternal life - Gilgamesh partly wants eternal life to be freed from the terrors of the afterlife. The afterlife is related to how you lived your life; escaping the afterlife connotates escaping the effects of your previous sins.

Ask me again if this doesn't make sense.

intergamer

If you've read Eric (Terry Prachett), Ponce de Leon (Ponce da Quirm) did find the Fountain of Youth. But in all the study he did of it, he never was told the most vital thing about the water: Boil it first.

I think I see what you mean, Professor. You're saying that Samskara's(a Hindu/Sanskrit word meaning Karma that gets carried over to the next life) get wiped clean, so that the mortal no longer has to endure the burden of reincarnation, and can break the chains of reincarnation forever...

Powerful stuff.

bob

I would like to see in the final Indy film the ultimate Indy adventure and a sense of a personal redemption for Indy that would make the film worthwile, as let us be honest it cannot really top the trilogy for a variety of reasons in action.

I just dont see a rehash of LC set in Florida as doing that, but perhaps it could work as the opening sequence

There is no problem. I guess I was trying to convince bob that following the formula laid out by Raiders is NOT a bad thing. I just did it poorly.

Marcus Petrius

In another way the fountain of life is the same thing as the grail.

Quoted from the Grail diary:
"The grail is the Spring of life, the vessel containing the promise of immortality."

Immortality, it has been done before.

Marcus Petrius

I don't think they should use it either, but to comment on what you said:

It is something that could be lost easily (like all Indy stuff). Just blow it up.

Randy_Flagg

I'd be okay with the Fountain Of Youth, even if it isn't, strictly speaking, an artifact. Actually, that might make it better-- it would feel a bit different, but still keep the tone we expect in an Indy movie. Of course, the downside (as was already said) is that its power is too much like the grail's.

Randy_Flagg

Maybe it'll be something really mundane like The Lost Dutchman's Mine. I think people are still out there searching for that thing. Ok, that would be lame.

Marcus Petrius

That Dutchman was a german in fact.
But I think we all know something like that's not going to happen. It' got to have some power for Indy to go after it.