TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
movieguy23
IndyFan

Should've been more like National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code

I think the storylines for both "National Treasure" (the first one) and "The Da Vinci Code" were far better and had more of an Indiana Jones feel to it then this new sequel.
movieguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Hawkeye
IndyFan

No, in National Treasure, they explain everything WAY too easy.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Grizzlor
IndyFan

National Treasure was only slightly more watchable than Tomb Raider, and the Da Vinci code was one of the worst book to film movies I've ever seen. This film was much better than all of those.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Avilos
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguy23
I think the storylines for both "National Treasure" (the first one) and "The Da Vinci Code" were far better and had more of an Indiana Jones feel to it then this new sequel.

Both of those were caricatures of Indiana Jones!

Its very frustrating to me that so many fans would have rather had a derivative
storyline. One that tried to copy the early films. So it felt safe and comfortable.
Like a mother who cut's her kids food in really small pieces even as a teen.

Last edited by Avilos : 05-28-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Salacious
IndyFan

Quote:

And I didnt even think Indy 4 was all that great too. Yikes!
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
MarxBrosFan
IndyFan

Quote:

Funny, in one of my comments on this message board or IMDB I said I thought this film was too MUCH like National Treasure. I think it was the way everything was rushed in the last half of the movie.
MarxBrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos

storyline. One that tried to copy the early films. So it felt safe and comfortable.

Crystal Skull was a charicature of Indiana Jones, derivative storyline that felt safe and comfortable with no danger or suspense... like a mother who cuts her kids' food into really small pieces.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
IndyCam
IndyFan

Utter and Complete Blasphemy. Nuff Said.
IndyCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Quote:

Temple of Doom was very different from Raiders, but kept a distinctively Indy feel. KOTCS feels nothing like an Indy film, it feels like the 'Epic Movie' version of Indy instead of a real Indy film.
MolaRam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolaRam2
Temple of Doom was very different from Raiders, but kept a distinctively Indy feel. KOTCS feels nothing like an Indy film, it feels like the 'Epic Movie' version of Indy instead of a real Indy film.

Hopefully no movie producers out there will read this or you will give them an idea for next year's February spoof release Adventure Movie.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Hopefully no movie producers out there will read this or you will give them an idea for next year's February spoof release Adventure Movie.

All they have to do is re-title Kingdom of the Crystal Skull since it pretty much spoofs itself.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 AM   #12
Avilos
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolaRam2

Your completely contradicting yourself! How was ToD very different from Raiders "But Still Indy like" but KotCS not?? Each film in the series has some similarities to what has come before but many more differences. All there was to judge a Indy film by before ToD was Raiders. By the "Raiders style" ToD was not "Indy like" either! But they wisely expanded what was possible for the character with each film. Thats what is great about Indiana Jones. Variety. Otherwise we would have seen -

Raiders II and Raiders III and Raiders IV!

Like many other movie series.

Some of you think that if you repeat these vague, meaningless attacks at the movie over and over gain - They will become facts! But you forget that there are people who are going to challenge your nonsense.

Last edited by Avilos : 05-29-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Jones_Happens
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
Crystal Skull was a charicature of Indiana Jones, derivative storyline that felt safe and comfortable with no danger or suspense... like a mother who cuts her kids' food into really small pieces.
Man, the metaphors are getting very shaky in here...yikes!

BTW it is a good idea to cut your child's food into small pieces to reduce the choking hazard.
Jones_Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Agent Z
IndyFan

Just don't get mix up the kids and the food when chopping things into small pieces.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Horchata
IndyFan

Quote:

You put that so well. I agree 100%
Horchata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
jasperjones
IndyFan

Skull felt exactly like an Indiana Jones movie to me.
jasperjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
NATIONAL TREASURE was awful, and THE DA VINCI CODE gave new meaning to "tedium."
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
StoneTriple
IndyFan

Quote:

I agree. I'm surprised at how many people just wanted a trip down memory lane as oppossed to a new & different Indiana Jones adventure.
StoneTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Agent Spalko

I wanted an Indiana Jones adventure, not the X-Files.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Jones_Happens
IndyFan

It's funny because when most fans see a film like "National Treasure" they say it's a lame rip-off of Indy. Now there fans asking for Indy to be like his lame rip-off counterparts!
Jones_Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovchenko
It's funny because when most fans see a film like "National Treasure" they say it's a lame rip-off of Indy. Now there fans asking for Indy to be like his lame rip-off counterparts!

Sad isn't it? When a lame Indy ripoff is better than the movie it rips off you know it's a shambles.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Kernunnos
IndyFan

For Petes sakes. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull urinates all over National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code from a great height.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
Perhilion
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperjones
Skull felt exactly like an Indiana Jones movie to me.
Quote:
For Petes sakes. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull urinates all over National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code from a great height.
Thank you. Really, this is getting ridiculous. Anyone who thinks National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code is better than KotCS needs to get a life. Even if you didn't like the movie, it was in no way that bad, so stop whining, sulking and moaning and get over it.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Quote:
Your completely contradicting yourself! How was ToD very different from Raiders "But Still Indy like" but KotCS not?? Each film in the series has some similarities to what has come before but many more differences. All there was to judge a Indy film by before ToD was Raiders. By the "Raiders style" ToD was not "Indy like" either! But they wisely expanded what was possible for the character with each film. Thats what is great about Indiana Jones. Variety. Otherwise we would have seen -

Raiders II and Raiders III and Raiders IV!

Like many other movie series.

Some of you think that if you repeat these vague, meaningless attacks at the movie over and over gain - They will become facts! But you forget that there are people who are going to challenge your nonsense.

ToD continued Raiders' spirit of adventure, danger, exotic locales, and high peril. KOTCS is a parody of the original trilogy.
MolaRam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Moedred
Administrator

I've been reading the 2005 Dan Brown Witness Statement from the Random House trial brought forth by the Holy Blood, Holy Grail authors (they lost). Excellent insight into crafting an adventure story. Brown created a character (named after the claimants) to make Langdon more of a fence sitter, in the film he was even more so an Indyesque skeptic:
Quote:
I needed to create a character who could say some of the more farfetched and controversial things that I initially had Langdon saying. I wanted to preserve the integrity of my protagonist. I wanted Langdon to be able to stand back, raise questions and play devil's advocate a little, and also fill in some history.
In the Indy 4 scripts, the alien reveal was presented earlier and later before landing in the middle. Partway through writing, Brown removed most of the masonic elements for another book, but passed on aliens:
Quote:
Rule by Secrecy was published in 2000, and The Secret Teachings of All Ages in October 2003. My recollection is that I read Rule by Secrecy in Conway one summer and liked it a lot, but hated the conclusion about aliens, which I thought was somewhat silly.
His books are rather formulaic: "a murder, a chase through foreign locations, the action taking place all in 24 hours, a code a ticking clock, strong male and female characters, and a love interest." But "the hard part of writing a novel is not the ideas but rather the nuts and bolts of the plot and language and making it all work."
Quote:
One challenge when presenting the reader with a complicated code is to control the flow of information so the overall mystery is not overwhelming. Finding a plot device that enables me to dole out information in bite size pieces is helpful.
Especially in film, you need a subordinate to receive this information...
Quote:
One of my favourite ways in which to share information with a reader is to have Langdon give an "academic lecture" on the topic.
And that's where Shia comes in. Most were spoiled before viewing Crystal Skull, but the lectures hold up pretty well in retrospect or to the uninitiated.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote