Marion Ravenwood and the Power of the Drink

I loved KOTCS... you either like it or you don't. A lit of people talk about the missed opportunities and things they would have changed. I wouldn't change anything, but I think one scene that would have been really fun would have been if we saw Marion having a drinking game with the Russian soldiers. (like Raiders) It would be a nice nod to Raiders and it would show that she still had her old spunk. What do you guys think?

Robyn

Indyfan4ever said:
I loved KOTCS... you either like it or you don't. A lit of people talk about the missed opportunities and things they would have changed. I wouldn't change anything, but I think one scene that would have been really fun would have been if we saw Marion having a drinking game with the Russian soldiers. (like Raiders) It would be a nice nod to Raiders and it would show that she still had her old spunk. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna have to say no to a drinking contest in kotcs, but it would have been fun to see her take a shot of something like she did in the Darabont script.. I loved that script btw

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Tough call. It would have been fan service, to a certain extent, but I also disagree with Allen's own contention that she only drank back in the day because that's what the circumstances demanded. She drank whiskey from a keg with a hole in it during a bar fight; she's pretty clearly not doing what she does just to get by.

Sure, it's possible that she's kicked the habit since, but that argument was just going for a whitewash.

Gear

Attila the Professor said:
... but I also disagree with Allen's own contention that she only drank back in the day because that's what the circumstances demanded. She drank whiskey from a keg with a hole in it during a bar fight; she's pretty clearly not doing what she does just to get by.

Sure, it's possible that she's kicked the habit since, but that argument was just going for a whitewash.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you referring to Allen's character or the actress herself?

James

gear guardian said:
Are you referring to Allen's character or the actress herself?

I believe he's referring to interviews Allen gave for KOTCS. She mentioned discussing the character with Shia, and downplayed any notions that Marion had been an alcoholic.

Even though Marion clearly drank for recreational purposes, you could still argue it was a vice born out of necessity. After all, her two major drinking scenes both employed it as a means of survival. This is why I didn't mind the absence in KOTCS, since there wasn't really any need for it.

Mutt's escape plan actually works pretty well as a callback, since it ends up being just as shortsighted as Marion's plan in ROTLA. Both were prepared to get out of the immediate camp, but not the larger threat of the area itself.

Now having said all that, it would still be fun to see some type of reference if they make another film.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
James said:
I believe he's referring to interviews Allen gave for KOTCS. She mentioned discussing the character with Shia, and downplayed any notions that Marion had been an alcoholic.

That's the one. I didn't manage to come up with the exact quote, so I guess it came out a bit fuzzy as a result.

And James, I'd say that you're quite right that it was a vice born of necessity, but that doesn't mean it would have disappeared eventually, at least not without effort. After all, she was left at the altar and discovered she was pregnant shortly afterwards; back then, it was probably felt on some instinctual level that a drunk pregnant woman was a bad idea, but not due to any science. Then she lost her husband in the war, when her son would have been no older than 7 or 8. That's some stress, with Oxley in the picture or not.

So, yeah, maybe she quit, but I'd guess that it would have been from active effort rather than just losing the taste for the stuff.

(And all that's to say that she's actually an alcoholic, not just an occasional-to-frequent heavy drinker without quite so much compulsion.)

James

And James, I'd say that you're quite right that it was a vice born of necessity, but that doesn't mean it would have disappeared eventually, at least not without effort.

(And all that's to say that she's actually an alcoholic, not just an occasional-to-frequent heavy drinker without quite so much compulsion.)

No, I don't believe she would have stopped drinking completely, but I do find it likely that motherhood led her to make an effort. Mutt probably became her entire world very quickly, which could explain her overprotectiveness of him.

In the real world, she would have likely become an alcoholic. But in the world of Indiana Jones, it's not quite as improbable to believe that she managed to avoid such a fate.

Indy's brother

Just thought I'd post these here:

Social Drinker...
raiders+marion.jpg

Booze Hound!!!
raiders+marion+2.jpg

DocWhiskey

She quit drinking after it got her pregnant with Mutt the bastard child.

Indiana Jones and The Pressures of Date Rape.

Stoo

She drank whiskey from a keg with a hole in it during a bar fight; she's pretty clearly not doing what she does just to get by.
Maybe she did that because she thought she was "gonna die" (like in "Skull") and wanted to get liquored up as possible so as not to feel any pain?

On a related note, before the new film came out I was wondering if we were going to see Marion smoke again: Marion Ravenwood and the Lungs of Darkness

Crack that whip

Or, hell, better somebody get some use out of it than for all of it to go to waste. I mean, she'd already paid for that keg, right? She's just salvaging some tiny scrap of value out of unsaleable merchandise... :p

Pale Horse

Staff member
I request an intervention - - -

She's an alcoholic, no doubt about it (Note: her glass is empty here).

249-1.jpg

and also note the final words of the screenplay:

Well, I know what I've got here. Come on. I'll buy you a drink. You know, a drink? - Marion Ravenwood

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Or, hell, better somebody get some use out of it than for all of it to go to waste. I mean, she'd already paid for that keg, right? She's just salvaging some tiny scrap of value out of unsaleable merchandise...:p
Great to see you posting again, Crack!:whip:Liquor going to waste + She might die = Consumption in large quantities! That equation doesn't equal alcoholism but...Marion seems quite sober after how many shots of who-knows-what in both the Nepal & Tanis scenes? Whether one likes it or not, she's definitely an experienced drinker.:eek:

James

It's been my experience that alcoholic women just aren't very good boat passengers- let alone desert adventurers.

Of course, by the end of that lengthy journey, most would have been seeing demons- just not emanating from an Ark. :eek:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Great to see you posting again, Crack!:whip:

Great to be posting again, thanks! I hadn't meant to be away so long, but real life has this funny way of getting in the way of things, and I wound up not spending much time online for a couple weeks.

I don't know whether she's a true alcoholic or not, but I'd certainly agree she's an experienced drinker; that's hardly something one needs even think about. The (first) film itself clearly establishes that, just as it establishes Indy uses a whip and doesn't like snakes.

Short Rounded

KotCS Marion's Character

How come in Crystal Skull does Marion not still have her drinking and smoking habits?:confused: Is there a deleted scene where she smokes or drinks? I just kind of thought that had to be explained. It was missing from her character. She is pretty much known for that, I think.